PDA

View Full Version : Navagation Question

Ryderfish
02-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Ok...I took my car to the dealer on an unrelated problem and the lead mechanic came out to meet with me and talk about the issue the car was having. I asked him about a concern I had regarding the navigation system. It's a small issue, but an issue nevertheless and I was hoping that someone here at the Fest could answer the question.

The issue is that when I go to "Information on location" and then select either "restaurant" or "hotel", the selected facility's phone number and associated informational icons do not appear as they do in the Owner's Manual.

In the Manual, it shows a screen shot where when either "restaurant" or "hotel" is selected, the phone number will be displayed (so the facility can be called via the integrated phone) along with icons showing information regarding the selection (ie: non-smoking hotel, hotel with a restraint, etc.)

The mechanic at the dealership REPLACED the entire system, but the same problem persists.

My vehicle is an '02 530i with a CD BASED nav system in the trunk. Can anyone tell me if they have a similar system that displays the info I have described? Or is the Owner's Manual simply incorrect?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

ambishop
02-19-2006, 08:01 PM
No their are two options when selecting information. You should upgrade your software to a more recent version to get the two options.

One is general information and the other search provides the phone number and turn by turn directions.

See this weblink for details on upgrading your software http://www.bimmernav.com/software.htm

Martin

Ryderfish
02-20-2006, 11:26 PM
The dealership just installed the "latest software" on my last visit. I sat in the car and watched while he did it.
How can I get the phone numbers...perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but the "team leader-mechanic" couldn't get it to work either.
HELP!

Bart001
02-21-2006, 04:31 AM
The dealership just installed the "latest software" on my last visit. I sat in the car and watched while he did it.
How can I get the phone numbers...perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but the "team leader-mechanic" couldn't get it to work either.
HELP!

I don't think that you sat in the car and watched as the dealership did what people here refer to as a software upgrade. The upgrade requires the car to be attached to the proper computer equipment in the service bay. Also, the upgrade takes several hours (at best).

Ryderfish
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh...well the mechanic said he was going to upgrade me to the latest software. He then inserted a disk into the NAV computer in the trunk, the nave screen said "upgrading" or something like that, and then the disk auto-ejected when the upgrade was complete. Was that some other type of upgrade? He definately didn't hook it up to a computer and it took less than 10 minutes to complete.

docarut
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
He was doing software update. Sometimes with previous updates if they were done by owners from downloaded software will put Nav computer in European mode. The dealer needs to do recode procedure which is different from software update. Maybe that is what you need to have done.

Bob

BIG DAD
11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I have upgraded my os software three tmes it takes no more than twenty minutes
tops...........................average time 10 minutes

JSpira
11-30-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't think that you sat in the car and watched as the dealership did what people here refer to as a software upgrade. The upgrade requires the car to be attached to the proper computer equipment in the service bay. Also, the upgrade takes several hours (at best).Not true at all. The satnav could have been upgraded in a short amount of time. Why would he make up such a story anyway? :dunno:

From a technical perspective, what he described re the upgrade is 100% correct.