PDA

View Full Version : Help buying new wheels

simonbos30
02-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I have a 2003 745 Li with 19" wheels. I use the car for Livery (Limo) Service in the Chicago land area. Here is my dilemma:

1. My 19" wheels suck in the snow, so I will be willing to down grade to 18" is that a good idea?

2. Is it true that I will have better gas millage and longer lasting tires with 18" wheels?

2. Is their 19" snow or all season tire?

3.I found Genuine BMW 745i 18 Sport Chrome Rims, but they do not have the TPM (Tire pressure monitoring). Is that an easy fix if I buy them and what is required for these wheels to have the TPM or how does TPM work?

4. I will be willing to drive couple hours from Chicago, if someone wants to trade their 18" for my 19" wheels!

wwb4
02-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Another option is to keep your current set-up, and get a dedicated set of snows/winter tires, like many BMW owners do. That way when the winter comes you just swap out your rims/tires, and you have a totally different set dedicated to driving in the winter/inclement weather. I think one of the best snow tires out there are the Nokians, however I don't personally know of anybody who has used them in conjunction with a 7 series? :dunno: You may want to try and contact one of your local tire retailers in your Chicago area and inquire in regards to cost and availability for your specific make and model of car.

P.S.-It is generally true that smaller rims/tires do contribute to better gas mileage, but in your case it wouldn't be substantial. It's generally the case when going from a stock set-up (i.e.-factory 16" rims) to a non stock set-up (i.e. aftermarket 20" rims).

gbelton
02-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I have a 2003 745 Li with 19" wheels. I use the car for Livery (Limo) Service in the Chicago land area. Here is my dilemma:

1. My 19" wheels suck in the snow, so I will be willing to down grade to 18" is that a good idea?

Good idea. Use 18" snows (Winter Tyres) try Tirerack.com and click on winter wheel/tyre package.

2. Is it true that I will have better gas millage and longer lasting tires with 18" wheels?
Sure, but not much... You need a much lighter wheel to recover some 2-5 miles to the gallon.

2. Is their 19" snow or all season tire?
Summer Performace tyres.

3.I found Genuine BMW 745i 18***8221; Sport Chrome Rims, but they do not have the TPM (Tire pressure monitoring). Is that an easy fix if I buy them and what is required for these wheels to have the TPM or how does TPM work?
There is really no need for Chrome for the winter (Salt and Chrome don't mix well) But if you have to go Chrome make sure you clean the wheels often. If I am correct you will loose TPM if you do not buy the BMW authorized wheel. Reach out to BMW or Tirerack for the best wheel and tyre which will retain your TPM.

4. I will be willing to drive couple hours from Chicago, if someone wants to trade their 18" for my 19" wheels!
Is cost a factor for you? If so, I understand why you would be willing to do a swap... Go to ebay, you might find something...[/quote]

Good Luck and remember, for the Winter you gotta have SNOWS!

GMAN

tq2k
02-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I think you can fit Pirelli snow tires on your 19's. Check with tirerack.

gbelton
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I think you can fit Pirelli snow tires on your 19's. Check with tirerack.

Perhaps, but this is a sedan and the key points that need to be considered is the wheel well spacing available in a 18" versus the 19".

You would be better choosing 18" vs. 19" since the clearance will provide overrall (Better) extaction of snow vs. the 19".

Can you use 19", sure. Tirerack and BMW would suggest you use 18" and so do I. I have used 18" Snows since 2001 with all of my 7er and I have 18" for my 750Li and 18" for my 650Li. Snow is no match for me!

GMAN