PDA

View Full Version : Interested in 96+ E36 some questions

Grka4
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I own an 02 A4 now which is primarily all show no go, its slow, weighs a lot etc... I'm thinking about picking up an E36 or E30 M3 to make the daily driver (well really the weekend driver since I don't drive during the week). Was thinking about doing a bunch of Active Autowerke mods, stage II turbo or the new whipple SC they have. Does anyone have experience with either of these kits, are they reliable? What kind of numbers did you dyno?

The mods I'd get are

Stage II Turbo or SC kit
Race Headers
Test-Pipe
Exhaust
Clutch
Short Shifter

What else am I forgetting?

saint166
02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
get a light weight flywheel . it really makes a big diff and it doesnt change how the car drives this coming from a guy that just intalled one . the gear noise u hear about is really a non factor

Pinecone
02-27-2006, 04:10 AM
a) The gear noise IS a factor for some people. People have different tolerances to such things.

b) It does change driveability due tothe lower flywheel masss when starting froma stop. Not a big deal to some, but it WILL bother some people.

thilton59
02-27-2006, 04:17 AM
If you really want go and show go with the e36, but if you just want an awesome car go with the e30, it can have some go, and a lot of trackday nonsense to go along with it.
If you're all about go though, you'll probably like <a href="http://www.da-motorsport.com/projeler/evolutionm3/index.htm">this</a>.

SoloII///M
02-27-2006, 07:44 AM
a) The gear noise IS a factor for some people. People have different tolerances to such things.

b) It does change driveability due tothe lower flywheel masss when starting froma stop. Not a big deal to some, but it WILL bother some people.

Yeah, agreed on the lightweight flywheel. The random clunking those things exhibit at idle would drive me absolutely batty.

saint166
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
lol omg u guys get real i just intalled one on my car and there is no diff at all in gear noise or starting out . my wife also drives the car and she listens for every little sound i did not tell her i was doing the flywheel just the clutch and she didnt say a word as to any diff sounds .

thilton59
02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
lol omg u guys get real i just intalled one on my car and there is no diff at all in gear noise or starting out . my wife also drives the car and she listens for every little sound i did not tell her i was doing the flywheel just the clutch and she didnt say a word as to any diff sounds .

Thankyou, it seems odd that car guys, and I know we're talking about a street car, would complain about a little chatter, given they knew what the noise was and knew the benefits of the lack of mass creating said noise. It's just a little noise.

saint166
02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
ya i agree plus the small amount of noise and trust me its very small sounds kinda cool reminds me of some of my old muscle cars of days gone bye lol .

SoloII///M
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
ya i agree plus the small amount of noise and trust me its very small sounds kinda cool reminds me of some of my old muscle cars of days gone bye lol .

<shrug> To me it sounds like something broken. But different setups on different cars make varying amounts of noise and different people have different amounts of tolerance for such noise.

I'm glad you guys don't mind it, but for me it was too much.

thilton59
02-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Everyone's different, I drove a '74 porsche for a while that I lost my voice in regularly from just trying to carry on a conversation in, then drove a mazda 6 and kept stalling cause I couldn't hear anything, but the m3 is loud enough for me to know what's going on with the motor and various other components. I like that amount of aural feedback.

xalapos
03-21-2006, 08:09 AM
As long as u don't have problems, then you are fine...