PDA

View Full Version : Transmission UHHH OHHH!!

timboogeyman
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I have noticed when shifting from 3rd to 2nd and going over 40mph it almost seems like there is a gate that wont let me into 2nd gear. It is the ugly grind/vibrating noise and it feels like im trying to put it in gear when the clutch isn't in when in fact the clutch is all the way in.....does anyone have any answers? any suggestions?

thilton59
02-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Is it cold when this happens? And have you been in 5th before you're shifting from 3rd to 2nd?

timboogeyman
02-22-2006, 05:22 AM
yes, i would say it has been pretty cold, it is chicago in feburary so its probably an average temp of around 30 degrees of late. and yes, i probably have been in 5th before downshifting.

thilton59
02-22-2006, 08:41 PM
There's an odd bit with our trans', that if you go into 5th and then back out of it neutral will sit a little to the right, thusly the shift pattern is a bit askew, and stays as such until it warms up. This might explain when you try to shift down into 2nd, 2nd isn't where you left it last and cause some issues. That might be it, but I'm not saying it is.

Pinecone
02-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Sounds like 2nd gear synchro is going. Learn to double clutch your downshifts and don't worry about it, until you try to sell the car.

timboogeyman
02-23-2006, 09:19 AM
i feel a bit like a bafoon asking this and am semi fimilar with "double clutching" but what is exactly the process. I guess I shouldn't be embarassed considering the point of this forum is to learn.

p.s. i talked with my mechanic and we both agreed that it was probably the syncs going and the combination of the cold weather. i am going to put new fluid in it and see if that does anything..

thanks for all your help,
tim

hayabusa1285
02-23-2006, 08:04 PM
try matching the gears before tryin to put it in gear.. the good old heal and toe trick it does wonders

thilton59
02-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Double clutching, or at least my understanding of it, pinecones may be different, is;
clutch in, take out of gear and into neutral
clutch out
clutch in, put into gear(from neutral)
clutch out
It gets to be pretty quick after a while, and make sure to rev match.

Pinecone
02-25-2006, 04:37 PM
SEARCH, a BUNCH of threads on double clutching.

The above is sort of misleading, as between the clutch out and clutch back in you blip the throttle. It does mention rev match, but not WHEN you do it.