PDA

View Full Version : looking to get an 02 745

Din
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
either 745I or 745Li not sure which one yet. Is there anything i should look out for in this year model?

NTB
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Service History.

kd2789mo
02-27-2006, 10:29 PM
either 745I or 745Li not sure which one yet. Is there anything i should look out for in this year model?
It may be easier to answer what not to look out for.
IMO, have a Car-fax run. Check to see if the vehicle was ever bought-back by BMW, many were.
If possible, have the key-fob read at a BMW dealer, and check the entire service history of the vehicle.
Be certain the vehicle has all the latest software updates and campaigns completed.

Overall, there are some great 02's out there, though there are also some nightmares.
Do your homework and good luck :)

Din
02-27-2006, 10:33 PM
thanks for the info. i hope to own one soon.

jacksprat
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
when you are shopping, be weary of those 02's under 30k miles. When I was shopping I encountered many of them priced in the $39k-42k range. A great deal but upon pressuring the dealerships about info on the car, I found that most of them were BMW buybacks. I had the dealerships fax me info from BMW regarding the buybacks and most were for engine and electrical problems such as ignition misfiring, oil leaks, or repetitive eletrical malfunctions.

Note that a BMW buyback is NOT considered a LEMON. BMW CHOOSES to buyback the car from the customer in good faith to keep them satisfied. They were not ordered to do so by some state law or thru lawsuits.

pay for a one month CARFAX subscription and run ALL vehicles you are interested in thru carfax. Look for the vehicle that has one or two owners, one is even better because its an indication that the vehicle has served the owner faithfully, which is why he kept it. If you come across an 02 with like 5 or more owners, then you have to wonder why the car changed hands so much....maybe its nothing...but its a precaution. Another thing, carfax doesnt ALWAYS list BMW buybacks. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. You have to call BMW with the vin to verify if a car is a buyback or not.

And did you take my advice by going to a dealership and driving a 745i vs 745Li back to back to feel the differences in handling? the difference is night and day so I advise you to do it before you make your purchase. goodluck

Din
02-28-2006, 10:31 AM
thanks for the info jacksprat. I have yet to go drive any 7series yet. Ive only been looking online. Im trying to find a 745LI with around 50-60k miles. Ive seen them go for 42k or less around here.

kbkoch
03-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Hi Din,

FYI... I'm selling my '02 745Li moving into a '05 M5. It just turned 44K and I put brand new tires on. Black with 19" factory wheels. 952/270-2777. I'm looking for $45K Let me know if you are interested!

Din
03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
thanks but im lookin to spend around 40k. ive seen them around here for that much. I jsut gotta wait to find the right color.

2fst2c
03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
mines for sale check it out maybe its what your looking for!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-7-Series-745Li-02-745Li-major-spent-on-this-car-save_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6009QQitemZ4618275 710QQrdZ1

jacksprat
03-03-2006, 09:17 AM
wtf man? you just got all the mods done and now you are selling it? sell me some parts off it man....like the roof spoiler:p

2fst2c
03-03-2006, 05:08 PM
wtf man? you just got all the mods done and now you are selling it? sell me some parts off it man....like the roof spoiler:p
yea I know its pretty stupid but it didnt go as planned:mad: my original plan was to keep the 745Li and buy a used gallardo so I found one took care of all the paper work was about to fly to san francisco, ca but when I called my insurance agent to get insurance for the car she only found one company that would insure me and it was $879.00 a MONTH WTF so I was like OK that wont work!! so thanks to the finance company which was understanding and they gave me my downpayment back!! so I just ordered an M5 it should be here in may!!! I Love the 7series but I just want something fast and somthing new!!:D

BmW745On19's
03-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Go for an '03 if you can. Not shunning the '02's but I just feel that they worked alot of little things out with the '03. However, the newer 7's(anything newer than 2002) all feel like boats and the pedals seem to be less responsive and steering feels heavy. Don't get adaptive headlights though, even though they are cool and all, they look like s**t with the cheapy looking plastic covering up all the chrome on the lights.

D2-AUTOSPORT
03-03-2006, 07:18 PM
yea I know its pretty stupid but it didnt go as planned:mad: my original plan was to keep the 745Li and buy a used gallardo so I found one took care of all the paper work was about to fly to san francisco, ca but when I called my insurance agent to get insurance for the car she only found one company that would insure me and it was $879.00 a MONTH WTF so I was like OK that wont work!! so thanks to the finance company which was understanding and they gave me my downpayment back!! so I just ordered an M5 it should be here in may!!! I Love the 7series but I just want something fast and somthing new!!:D

Wow Vlad so thats how you ended up at the M huh? Thats insane man, but on another note, you must be pretty tall huh? I'm 6'4" and I never see any other LI's with the seats that far back!

Cant wait to start the M-Saga!

If you need any support on the sale (authenticity of Aero Kit, etc etc) just let me know.

-Derrick

2fst2c
03-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow Vlad so thats how you ended up at the M huh? Thats insane man, but on another note, you must be pretty tall huh? I'm 6'4" and I never see any other LI's with the seats that far back!

Cant wait to start the M-Saga!

If you need any support on the sale (authenticity of Aero Kit, etc etc) just let me know.

-Derrick

haha:rofl: im like 6'0" I just sit really really far back and low cuz people always lookin so that way they can't see me haha!! you know just gotta stay fly til I die :p :bigpimp:

BmW745On19's
03-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Why wouldnt you want to be seen in that car? Its freaking awesome looking. Plus thats dangerous because you dont have proper control of the wheel and pedals incase of emergency.

nyrican
03-04-2006, 11:39 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-7-Series-745Li-02-745Li-major-spent-on-this-car-save_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6009QQitemZ4618275 710QQrdZ1

I just bought mine on Monday and it was sourced from a dealer I dealt with on E-bay, I would have definitly considered yours as an option, good luck with the sale, but if you dont sell it, I want first dibs on the wheels if you decide to sell them. :)

boston bmw
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM

hey bro where did u get the smoked lights

Damlaker
03-18-2006, 02:40 PM
While I am no expert, when I was looking to buy a used 745, I looked at both the 02 and 03. As the first year series, the 02s had more problems then the 03s, at least from what I have read. I picked up an 03 745LI (Silver) with 35K miles on it and paid $42K. 19" wheels, convienence package, comfort package - the works (no back up sensor). In any event, if you are patient, you should be able to find what you want for the right price.

jelo_stewart
06-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I just bought a fully loaded 2002 745 LI for $39,300. Had it delivered from TX to NC for $600. It belonged to Darren Woodson (Former Dallas Cowboy). Had the car checked out at local dealership here in NC and after $896 in maintenance, the car is in top shape. It drives like a dream.