PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Stereo Components

rahrah215
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I am thinking of adding a single sub-woofer to the trunk for a little added extra but need low end bass. Has anyone done this type of modification and what did they have to do to get it done?

Is there some type of interface that would output rca's to the amp?

Would this void my CPO Warranty?

black_ace
02-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I doubt anyone is going to respond to this. I have asked this question at least four times. I need a little more bass as well. From what most of the people are telling me you have to remove the hatch where the rear arm rest is and port the sub through there. They say if you don't do it this way the bass will just drown out since the car is put together so well.....suposedly. Someone please let me know if you know other ways.....

I am thinking of adding a single sub-woofer to the trunk for a little added extra but need low end bass. Has anyone done this type of modification and what did they have to do to get it done?

Is there some type of interface that would output rca's to the amp?

Would this void my CPO Warranty?

jacksprat
02-28-2006, 08:57 AM
that is true, an opening should be cut out in where the rear center arm rest is for the sound to come thru. e65 has a steel enclosed trunk (same with many lexus, MB, and other luxury cars)...completely sealed off from the cabin. I had a 540i E39 I had to do the same thing I cut an opening then faced a 12" IDmax v.3 subwoofer straight thru the opening. Result was clean, deep, undistored, unmuffled bass. Facing the sub thru the opening so that it fires directly into the cabin also eliminates the dreaded ghetto trunk rattling problem, because all the sound and pressure created by the moving subwoofer goes into the cabin instead of bouncing around the confined space of the trunk. Another benefit is that you dont need that big of a sub or amp to get loud and deep bass, since you are not wasting any of the sound by trapping it in a trunk. When hooking up a subwoofer inside a steel enclosed trunk, if you dont create a port so the sound can travel into the cabin, the trunk basically acts as a secondary box (hence the rattling) and you can lose up to half of the dB level created by the sub.

Cutting an opening is not hard to do. Remove the rear seats, mark off how big you want the opening to be, then cut it out with a Sawzl or a jigsaw. The rear upper deck will need to be "dynamatted" since it vibrates rediclously even with the stock system.

The hard part is finding out how to interface with the factory sound system. Everyone on this board who has a sound system so far has reported that they paid a shop to do it so they have no idea how it was done. In my 540i I did a complete sound system overhaul so I didnt run into the problem of interfacing with the factory components.

rahrah215
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
that is true, an opening should be cut out in where the rear center arm rest is for the sound to come thru. e65 has a steel enclosed trunk (same with many lexus, MB, and other luxury cars)...completely sealed off from the cabin. I had a 540i E39 I had to do the same thing I cut an opening then faced a 12" IDmax v.3 subwoofer straight thru the opening. Result was clean, deep, undistored, unmuffled bass. Facing the sub thru the opening so that it fires directly into the cabin also eliminates the dreaded ghetto trunk rattling problem, because all the sound and pressure created by the moving subwoofer goes into the cabin instead of bouncing around the confined space of the trunk. Another benefit is that you dont need that big of a sub or amp to get loud and deep bass, since you are not wasting any of the sound by trapping it in a trunk. When hooking up a subwoofer inside a steel enclosed trunk, the trunk basically acts as a secondary box (hence the rattling) and you can lose up to half of the dB level created by the sub.

Cutting an opening is not hard to do. Remove the rear seats, mark off how big you want the opening to be, then cut it out with a Sawzl or a jigsaw. The rear upper deck will need to be "dynamatted" since it vibrates rediclously even with the stock system.

The hard part is finding out how to interface with the factory sound system. Everyone on this board who has a sound system so far has reported that they paid a shop to do it so they have no idea how it was done. In my 540i I did a complete sound system overhaul so I didnt run into the problem of interfacing with the factory components.

I think i should be ok with not having to actually cut a whole due to the fact my car has the cold weather package. If I remove the ski bag due to the fact I will never use it that should work ok, right?

My real question is how do you tap into the audio source for RCA outputs. I seen a website for Basslink II by Infinity specially made for BMW's but failed to mention 7. I hate to email manufacturers about installs because they always give such basic generic information and not a real answer to my questions.

Thanks in advance to everyone else who may respond.

rahrah215
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
that is true, an opening should be cut out in where the rear center arm rest is for the sound to come thru. e65 has a steel enclosed trunk (same with many lexus, MB, and other luxury cars)...completely sealed off from the cabin. I had a 540i E39 I had to do the same thing I cut an opening then faced a 12" IDmax v.3 subwoofer straight thru the opening. Result was clean, deep, undistored, unmuffled bass. Facing the sub thru the opening so that it fires directly into the cabin also eliminates the dreaded ghetto trunk rattling problem, because all the sound and pressure created by the moving subwoofer goes into the cabin instead of bouncing around the confined space of the trunk. Another benefit is that you dont need that big of a sub or amp to get loud and deep bass, since you are not wasting any of the sound by trapping it in a trunk. When hooking up a subwoofer inside a steel enclosed trunk, the trunk basically acts as a secondary box (hence the rattling) and you can lose up to half of the dB level created by the sub.

I think i should be ok with not having to actually cut a whole due to the fact my car has the cold weather package. If I remove the ski bag due to the fact I will never use it that should work ok, right?

My real question is how do you tap into the audio source for RCA outputs. I seen a website for Basslink II by Infinity specially made for BMW's but failed to mention 7. I hate to email manufacturers about installs because they always give such basic generic information and not a real answer to my questions.

Thanks in advance to everyone else who may respond.

nyrican
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
The basics of installing adding an aftermarket amp and sub to a factory system are VERY easy, you need to run power to the amp, a ground from the amp to the car, and an 12v ignition based source to use as a signal to turn the amp on. Then you need a source to run an input signal signal to the amp for it to amplify. All you need is a line level converter for that, it basically taps into any of your factory speakers and converts the regular speaker wire into an RCA jack so you then easily plug into the amplifier. Then obviously choose your amp , sub and box of choice. The rest is really up to how nice looking you want to make. It sounds alot more complicated than it really is, but if you are reading this and you are already lost, then just take it somewhere and pay for it to get done or you will end up with a large repair bill and possibly a voided warranty.

kato23
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
yeah this is my setup ..i honestly dont know how they did it because i just told them to add and amp and sub...but it was probably just like nyrican said...i probably wont keep this because i dont like it...i think im going to have something fabricated for a more custom look

nyrican
02-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Kato I don't mean to offend you in any way at all but....DO NOT GO BACK THERE!!!
I plan on opening a full customization/ tuning shop when I retire from the Army in about 7 years, and let me tell you if a guy with a car anything like yours I would do a whole lot better than that. That is horrible, unless you were really trying to go cheap on the install price. That might be fine for a Honda Civic but thats downright disrespectful to a 7 series.
When you are ready to upgrade make sure you get something more customized that will at least blend with your interior. I''m not talking about the quality of you parts just the lack of any kind of customization with the install.

jacksprat
02-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I dont mean to offend you either man, you know I got your back against the "non-modders" in this forum, but I agree with nyrican.

Im just a "do-it-yourselfer" and with simple garage tools and materials bought at HomeDepot/Lowe's I was able to something much more clean and becoming of a high end BMW than what you have pictured there. Im surprised the shop you went to didnt try to talk you into at least having them make a facade to conceal the box and only reaveal the sub.

Again, your choice of components is good, but the install is disgraceful to have in BMW's flagship vehicle. I know you have the money, so go back to that shop or go to a better shop and have them do it up right. :thumbup:

nyrican
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I dont mean to offend you either man, you know I got your back against the "non-modders" in this forum, but I agree with nyrican.

Im just a "do-it-yourselfer" and with simple garage tools and materials bought at HomeDepot/Lowe's I was able to something much more clean and becoming of a high end BMW than what you have pictured there. Im surprised the shop you went to didnt try to talk you into at least having them make a facade to conceal the box and only reaveal the sub.

Again, your choice of components is good, but the install is disgraceful to have in BMW's flagship vehicle. I know you have the money, so go back to that shop or go to a better shop and have them do it up right. :thumbup:

I almost agree with your opinion 100%, except for the go back to that shop again...DO NOT GO BACK. If they did not have the professional pride to lead you in the right direction then don't mess with them.

kato23
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Kato I don't mean to offend you in any way at all but....DO NOT GO BACK THERE!!!
I plan on opening a full customization/ tuning shop when I retire from the Army in about 7 years, and let me tell you if a guy with a car anything like yours I would do a whole lot better than that. That is horrible, unless you were really trying to go cheap on the install price. That might be fine for a Honda Civic but thats downright disrespectful to a 7 series.
When you are ready to upgrade make sure you get something more customized that will at least blend with your interior. I''m not talking about the quality of you parts just the lack of any kind of customization with the install.

why would they give me customization if i didnt ask for it...i got what i paid for...furthermore i wanted someting right now..i wasnt about to wait while they fabricated something..i said i was going to do it over when i was ready to spend that amount of time...

jacksprat
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
it's called pride in what you do man. I know many installers in my area who would refuse to touch a high end car like a 745 and have their names associated with a poor install. Granted you asked for a basic install on a subwoofer but I would have to say that any shop/installer with true passion would've steered you away from doing what is posted in that pic.

nyrican
02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
It would have taken maybe a couple of hours more of work to make it right, thats all. Like I said earlier I am not clowning or anything like that. You have got to admit that it looks out of place.

kato23
02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
It would have taken maybe a couple of hours more of work to make it right, thats all. Like I said earlier I am not clowning or anything like that. You have got to admit that it looks out of place.

i know that..i said i will redo it later..i was already there 4 hours...i dont even know how long it wouldve taken for fabrication..ill do it later on im not in a big hurry i just got the car like a week and a half ago...and spent about 800 bucks for the stuff in the trunk and $6000 on the rims...not to mention the 30 grand i put down for them to approve me for an expensive car like this...i mean its not like i have alot of credit...but custom will come..its just temporary

nyrican
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm sure it will man. Keep bangin man, you doin it big homie. I hope I can come across a good deal on some rims soon.

nyrican
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm sure it will man. Keep bangin man, you doin it big homie. I hope I can come across a good deal on some rims soon.

kato23
02-28-2006, 07:28 PM

yeah just give me a month or so..and ill have a fully custom install..but for right now the box stays...

jkb
02-28-2006, 09:33 PM
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

black_ace
03-01-2006, 07:41 AM
The bigger question is how does it sound. I feel you on the not wanting to wait. Hell the shop told me they would have my car the whole day. I'm with the rest of them though. I can't really say I like the look, but I don't have to it's your car. Let me know what it sounds like. I don't want any trunk rattle or anything like that. I'm cool with them fabricating mine, I just don't want them to screw up anything with I drive. Will this void the warranty at all, does anyone know? The first thing BMW will say when something goes wrong is.......Well you installed this subwoofer, that is the problem.

yeah just give me a month or so..and ill have a fully custom install..but for right now the box stays...

jacksprat
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
BlackAce: If you install a sound system and say, your cd player stops working, then BMW will not cvoer it in warranty. However if say, your suspension fails, and all you did was install a sound system, then they WILL cover the suspension. I have rims and car is lowered, that means my entire suspension warranty is void. However if the engine or electricals crap out then its still under warranty.

If you dont want your trunk to rattle then cutting an opening behind the rear armrest to allow sound into the cabin is a must. The subwoofer should also face the cabin thru the created opening. Sealing a subwoofer in a steel enclosed trunk is a concotion for nasty, Buick Regal from the ghetto sounding rattles.

I can post pics of the install I did myself in my 540i if you guys are interested.

kato23
03-01-2006, 11:45 AM
geez its just a box for right now.. you guys are overreacting im not making a show car....ill do custom later on

black_ace
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I understand, but how does it sound? Do you have any rattle. I will not be the guy with a 70k car that rattles. I've been wanting to do something for quite some time. I'm ready to do something now, just don't want to waste a lot of money on something I'm going to end up taking out of the car.

geez its just a box for right now.. you guys are overreacting im not making a show car....ill do custom later on

jacksprat
03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
does anyone in here read? IT WILL RATTLE LIKE A MUTHAFUKA

kato23
03-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I understand, but how does it sound? Do you have any rattle. I will not be the guy with a 70k car that rattles. I've been wanting to do something for quite some time. I'm ready to do something now, just don't want to waste a lot of money on something I'm going to end up taking out of the car.

yeah the license plate rattled a lil i put 2 screws at the bottom because i didnt have them in and i turned the bass down some..but overall it sounds good...but you will need to do stuff to control the rattle

rahrah215
03-01-2006, 04:36 PM
yeah the license plate rattled a lil i put 2 screws at the bottom because i didnt have them in and i turned the bass down some..but overall it sounds good...but you will need to do stuff to control the rattle

whats up man, can you tell me the shop that did your work in the trunk. i am just looking for something quick like you. I really dont care about custom work. As long as it sounds good thats all i care about. I dont really trust anyone around here in richmond (Audio one or Audio Express) So if you could please give me the contact information for the shop that did your work. Thanks in advance.

kato23
03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
whats up man, can you tell me the shop that did your work in the trunk. i am just looking for something quick like you. I really dont care about custom work. As long as it sounds good thats all i care about. I dont really trust anyone around here in richmond (Audio one or Audio Express) So if you could please give me the contact information for the shop that did your work. Thanks in advance.

oh they are on virginia beach blvd i gotta look it up because i forgot their name..ill get it to you sometime today

Johnnie Watkins
03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I have the infinity Basslink II install in my 530i It's place in the rear right corner. What I did was to just lower one half Of the back seat where the subwoofer sits.This is feasible for me because I never have any back seat passengers and I have tinted windows so no one outside the car knows this.I also listen to a lot of jazz.I thought about cutting through the ski hatch but did'nt have the BALLS to proceed.If this works for you try it,oh by the way the Basslink is a fine choice if you don't listen to rap music.

jacksprat
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
e65/e66 rear seats dont fold.

black_ace
03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
I just ordered all the equipment for my car. I'm getting a single ten inch in a custom box that will be ported through the rear armrest. I told the shop to make it as close to stock as possible. If I open the trunk I don't want people to know I have a sub in there.

rahrah215
03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
I just ordered all the equipment for my car. I'm getting a single ten inch in a custom box that will be ported through the rear armrest. I told the shop to make it as close to stock as possible. If I open the trunk I don't want people to know I have a sub in there.

What did they use to tap into the Audio Signal?

black_ace
04-02-2006, 09:36 PM
not sure, I have not gotten it done yet. It will be a week before the stuff gets in, but aparantly they go off the factory radio. I'm taking it to a high line shop and paying more so if they screw something up they can pay to get it fixed.

NTB
04-03-2006, 02:44 AM
not sure, I have not gotten it done yet. It will be a week before the stuff gets in, but aparantly they go off the factory radio. I'm taking it to a high line shop and paying more so if they screw something up they can pay to get it fixed.

Am betting that they will use LOC's off the speaker wire going to the factory subs. Not the correct way to do things, but is the easiest and is the most common. Will not sound the best seeing that you will be stuck using the stock crossover points from the stock amplifier.

From what i have read so far, there is no way to patch into the audio signal before the stock amplifier, will be looking further into this over the summer once it is nice outside and i have the time.

I did this to my 2001 740iL.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/652272/3

underaudio
04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
well - if they haven't done it yet - and they plan to do it right - i agree with NTB. they should absolutely us an LOC (line output converter) that converts balanced audio signals to unbalanced.

the "right way" to do it if you don't have DSP would be to x-over the full-range signal befor it hits the factory amp. to do that, you would need 2 LOC's.

http://www.underaudio.com/images/sub_best.jpg

with DSP, you could use one LOC off the sub speaker outs.

http://www.underaudio.com/images/sub_good.jpg

good luck :-)