PDA

View Full Version : 95 M3... some questions

Tim95M3
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
So I got a 95, and just a couple small issues....
It seems to miss a little at idle, but it runs perfectly up high. Sometimes while I drive it actually seems faster than other times, and I cant figure it out... I replaced the spark plugs just recently. Also, I need to put a new timing chain tensioner on it and I need to know a place to get a cheap replacement. About the missing at idle and lag in power sometimes, I have been told that it may be a VANOS issue, but I dunno what to do about that. Hopefully it is something easier. I am not 100% sure about what is hidden beneath the valve cover, all I know is what is listed below in my sig. I guess I need to check that out some time. Well, I think that's about it for now, thanks for any tips and/or suggestions!

SoloII///M
03-01-2006, 05:32 AM
The '95 idle miss is very common and fairly well documented. My car did it when I bought it. My first attempt to fix it was to replace the (very worn) 28,000 mile old plugs. It helped immensely, but those factory copper plugs only lasted another 20,000 miles. I ended up replacing them with Denso Iridiums, and never had any problems with missing after that. The new owner says the car is doing fine and it's around 80,000 miles now.

The timing chain tensioner is a dealer-only item. IIRC, it's around $80. Well worth it to get rid of the grinding noise between 2k and 3k RPM.

Good luck.

apirkle
03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
I was just shopping around for a timing chain tensioner... checked on bimmerparts.com, the local dealership (wanted $133), called Pacific BMW after reading that they had the part for $70 (http://www.geocities.com/rick_poon/tensioner.htm) -- must be an old article, they now sell it for $112.86. realoem.com's price list puts it at $110.

Ended up ordering it from bavauto.com for $97.95.

rrsperry
03-26-2006, 05:48 AM
M3's are pretty sensitive to what kind of spark plug they like. They don't like the 4 prong plugs at all. On a stockish car I've always had great success with the Bosch F7LDCR. I changed them every insp II (about 30K miles) I have since added a supercharger and install a 1 step colder plug. the Denso iridium and it seems to be working well.

my3rdbimmer
07-31-2006, 05:05 AM
what is the stock number on the denso iridiums..?

East_Texas_M3
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd also replace the Coil-pack boots while changing the plugs, they were the reason that my engine was missing a bit at idle...

M Style III
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
I'd also replace the Coil-pack boots while changing the plugs, they were the reason that my engine was missing a bit at idle...

+1:thumbup: