PDA

View Full Version : Key programming cost

bdecout
03-02-2006, 12:14 AM
I want to get the key programmed to open all door at once.
I was told by the dealer today that it can only be done thru their computer and there is a $140 charge for that.
I refuse to pay that much for something that probably takes two minutes and three mouse click.
Is BMW charging the dealer for that service?
Should I just go find a more frendlier dealer who actually cares about its customers.
I also would like the parking brake to be set automatically when the key is removed.
I assume this is done thru the computer too.
Is there any way I can do that myself? ODBII maybe.
Is there any places beside BMW dealers that can do this.
I don't mind paying for the service.
I just don't want to be Fu..ed by Dealers just because I drive a 7

Thanks

kd2789mo
03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
bdecout,
In all fairness, it's a bit more extensive than a couple of minutes, and a few clicks.
The key-fob can be read-out via a reader attached to the service writers desktop, but to make programming changes, your vehicle must be connected to the computer in the shop, and a tech does the programming.
My dealer charged me $65. I had DRL turned on, Drive Away Locks turned on, and a climate setting changed.
I do not believe "parking brake set" with remote removal is an available option.
Here's the list posted in another thread of the available key-fob options:
http://camel.ethereal.net/~jkb/E65_ElectronicsOptions.xls

jkb
03-04-2006, 10:13 PM
bdecout,
In all fairness, it's a bit more extensive than a couple of minutes, and a few clicks.
The key-fob can be read-out via a reader attached to the service writers desktop, but to make programming changes, your vehicle must be connected to the computer in the shop, and a tech does the programming.
My dealer charged me $65. I had DRL turned on, Drive Away Locks turned on, and a climate setting changed.
I do not believe "parking brake set" with remote removal is an available option.
Here's the list posted in another thread of the available key-fob options:
http://camel.ethereal.net/~jkb/E65_ElectronicsOptions.xls

just curious, what climate changes have you made?

kd2789mo
03-04-2006, 11:37 PM
just curious, what climate changes have you made?
We changed the Fan Output Speed to be increased by 20%.
My wife likes a strong breeze, so with the increase set, both sides can remain on automatic, and she has a stronger fan speed.
I made it key selective, so the passenger side increases by 20% when I use my fob, and the driver side increases by 20% when she uses her fob. She's the primary driver.