PDA

View Full Version : Mods Questions

rcarr5
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice on mods for my 99 M3 convertible. It only has 34K miles....everything looks practically brand new and is loaded with just about every option. I absolutly love it......would love it even more if I could make it a bit faster!!

Listed below are some of the things I was considering:

1. Exhaust....something that sounds good and will add a bit of HP. (nothing like what I see and hear on these Hondas, Acura's etc that sound like high pitched go carts)

2. Headers if possible

3. Chip if possible

4. Wheels to be used for spring, summer, and fall only...nothing too shiny. I haven't seen anything in chrome that looks "sporty" for lack of a more manly term. Of course if anyone has any chrome suggestions I would check it out.

5. Air intake

I have always loved BMW's and have two, an X5 and my M3. I am also looking to get out of an office and into a garage so I can expand on my love of BMW's. UTI was recommended to me as the best school to go to for the BMW STEP program.....any suggestions on this as well would be greatly appreciated. I live in NJ

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Rory

Pinecone
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
None of hte engine mods are going to add much HP, it isn't easy getting more HP out of them. For sound though, exhaust is good, and intake helps.

I like the sound of the Borla on the E36 M3. For intakes, get a Conforti. You can get both at Turner Motorsport (www.turnermotorsport.com)

rcarr5
03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info! I have heard from a couple of people that it would be difficult or real expensive to get more HP but I just didn't want to believe it.

Any particular Borla I should be looking for?

Thanks again

rcarr5
03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
How about short shift kits?

MATT95M3
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
short shift kits can be dangerous you dont want to overrev the car if your really into getting power you can consider cams and injectors just a thought

BahnBaum
03-05-2006, 11:48 AM
short shift kits can be dangerous you dont want to overrev the car

How do a SSK make that more likely? If anything, the preciseness of a good ssk should prevent that.

Dollar for dollar, I think you're best improvement will come from upgrading suspension.

Alex

rcarr5
03-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Cams and injectors...good thought thanks

What should I be looking for as far as suspension? Will it drop the car any lower? Roads in NJ can be pretty rough during the winter.

thilton59
03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
What should I be looking for as far as suspension? Will it drop the car any lower? Roads in NJ can be pretty rough during the winter.

Well, what are you looking for, inasmuch, what is your desired setup? Do you go to trackdays or autocrosses, do you like to drift, go through canyons, drag?