PDA

View Full Version : Bleed screw where?

thilton59
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
If anyone has read the Bentley manual regarding the M3, and more specifically the bit on bleeding the cooling system, it speaks of a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing, it says this is specific to the M3, I can't find said bleed screw, only the one on the resivoir, nor can I find anything to support the view of the Bentley manual. If anyone knows, and or has, said bleed screw I'd like to know. Thanks.

thilton59
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Come on, it's a pretty easy question.

MATT95M3
03-05-2006, 11:42 AM
yea thats the only one i know of

Bruce
03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
There isn't one on the thermostat housing. I have heard of people adding them on their own though. Bleedng the cooling system on an E36 is a PITA. Very stupid design.

saint166
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
i have a 97 m3 and the bleeder is right beside the rad cap on the resivoir .

SoloII///M
03-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Main problem with many BMWs is that the thermostats don't have jiggle valves so the air bubbles don't burp out. I added a small air hole near the top of the thermostat every time I replaced it which solved the problem.

Even without a jiggle valve it's no big deal to bleed the system, it just sometimes takes a couple cooling cycles to get every last bit of air out.

ImperialDuckM3
03-10-2006, 11:39 AM
I would drill a small hole in the themostate, so that air can bleed out.:thumbup:

SoloII///M
03-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Is there an echo in here? :p

thilton59
03-11-2006, 05:43 AM
haha, sounds like it like it. Thanks for the advice, I don't know why the Bently manual says there's one, odd... I wonder what other "accuratecies" it might not be to accurate on.

SoloII///M
03-11-2006, 08:12 AM
IMO, the Bentley manual is one of the worst service manuals I've ever worked with. It's missing steps in some procedures, is almost completely devoid of pictures, torques are sometimes hard to find, it's poorly organized, blah blah.

If you ever want to see a proper service manual find someone who has a Mazda factory service manual. Those are just incredible.

ALEX99M3
04-05-2006, 03:09 AM
hey they only one i know is by cylinder 2 in the engine block on the passenger side. I had to bleed mine about two months ago and I did it from that bolt. If you are looking for a good manual. Go to amazon and type in 1999 BMW M3 maintenance manual. Is about 97 dollars but is worth every penny. It's got everything in there.

Later

iateyourcheese
04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
IMO, the Bentley manual is one of the worst service manuals I've ever worked with. It's missing steps in some procedures, is almost completely devoid of pictures, torques are sometimes hard to find, it's poorly organized, blah blah.

If you ever want to see a proper service manual find someone who has a Mazda factory service manual. Those are just incredible.

Sounds like Mazda should spend less time writing their manuals and more time engineering their cars. You know, so they don't catch fire and whatnot. (Mazda5 and RX-8) :stickpoke

SoloII///M
04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
hey they only one i know is by cylinder 2 in the engine block on the passenger side. I had to bleed mine about two months ago and I did it from that bolt. If you are looking for a good manual. Go to amazon and type in 1999 BMW M3 maintenance manual. Is about 97 dollars but is worth every penny. It's got everything in there.

Later

Are you talking about the engine block drain bolt? I never saw a bleed screw there, only a drain.

SoloII///M
04-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Sounds like Mazda should spend less time writing their manuals and more time engineering their cars. You know, so they don't catch fire and whatnot. (Mazda5 and RX-8) :stickpoke

LOL. :rofl:

I suppose the same applies to BMWs. If they spent another couple bucks on design their cars wouldn't need cooling system rebuilds every 60k miles. :tsk:

thilton59
04-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Sometimes I wonder if they still care... :cry: