PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Top problems..

gedwyn
03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi. I am new to the forum. I have been the owner of an e36 M3 conv. for about 5 years now and love it. However, I have a question about my conv. top. Last night I pushed the button to open it and the back panel lifted about 1 inch up and that was it. It will still go down but only about one inch up. So I had to manually unlock it and close it (which I was wondering when I would ever have to do that anyway). Well now of course I can not use for top at all and my conv. switch just flashes (I guess because it is unlocked).

Anyway I am not sure why it would not go up all the way. Did the motors need to be reset?
If I reset them will it work normal again? Will the switch LED flash forever until I get it fixed?

I would rather do this myself as it is rather a pain to take it to the dealer several miles out of town and leave it. I did a search on this forum for resetting the conv. top but did not really find anything all that descriptive.

Thanks in advance for everybodys help.
Paul
:cry:

CRAZYKID10123
03-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I am having the same problem, and i have done the same thing....it is a 1999 M3 convertible. I have found how to disengage the motors, but i would like to know how to reengage them. Please help!

gedwyn
03-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Try here.

http://www.ultimatenitrous.com/media/E36_Convertible_Adjust_vert_large_file_bmw.pdf

I have yet to do this but I am going to do it today.

Paul

CRAZYKID10123
03-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks it seems to have what i need

gedwyn
03-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Just fixed mine. Works great again. Couple of things that it does not tell you.

Fold top in hatch and close lid.

engage the two motors.

Put key in.

turn to on while hold top down button.

in 10 secs. the lid will hook and close tight.

release button.

Keep keys on.

disengage motors.

manually close top.

engage motors.

switch ignition from off to on.

done.

This is what worked well for me.

Don't worry if the lid does not close tight right away. After the eight time using the top it re-initializes and it will close tight then.

At least this is what mine did.

Good luck.