PDA

View Full Version : 2008 7 series predictions

kato23
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Well some people are trying to predict the styling for the 2008 7 series...im still not convinced this will be the look because once again i dont like it haha

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/nov21bm.jpg
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/11/21/more-on-the-2008-bmw-7-series/

BmW745On19's
03-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I kind of like it, but its not what BMW is going to produce. Keep trying automotive photochoppers!

djlfp
03-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Well some people are trying to predict the styling for the 2008 7 series....I think you are going to have to wait until the 2009 model year in 2008 to see any substantial changes.

Boxboss
03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
As an initial look, I like it. Maybe because the front reminds me of the 6er - more like an Orca than a shark, though.

chuck92103
03-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Current 7 series owners suffer from the model replacement syndrom.

Bash the new model because it will date your current car. Happens all the time to all the models.

Boxboss
03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
One thing I like in this pshop is the exhaust. The current model has none. I would buy one if it looked like this.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69110&d=1140714120

pan
03-18-2006, 06:31 AM
The F01 the e65 short wheel base and the protection version of the car are scheduled for the 2008 production years. The long wheelbase e65 is scheduled for the 2009 production year. The source is on the following link look for the tab marked Vehicle code (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bmwarchiv.de/de/2005-06-15-bmw-group-dynamikzentrum-in-dingolfing-eroeffnet-artikel-13.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddingolfing%2B650%26num%3D100%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-09,GGLG:en).(<--URL)

djlfp
03-18-2006, 08:14 AM
The F01 the e65 short wheel base and the protection version of the car are scheduled for the 2008 production years. The long wheelbase e65 is scheduled for the 2009 production year.So to clarify, the SWB will begin production in 2008. Presumably it will be an '09 model year, just as the e65 was a 2001 production date with an '02 model year.
Note that this chart may already be out of date. It shows production of the hydrogen drive 7er (e68) beginning in 2005; I do not think that production has commenced.

05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I saw a very similar pic (first pic of the thread) in this months Bimmer mag. I really don't like it. Damn, It sucks when you want to buy a current car and knowing that a redone version is coming out shortly, but anyways I love the current design. Anybody got any ideas on what the price jump will be?

beimerdude
05-02-2006, 04:16 AM
BMW just came up with a freshened look for the 2006 7 series and now here we are predicting the 2009 model. I have the 2006 750i and what was a great car 2002-2005 model year, is now perfect for 2006-2008 model years. BMW has dealt with all the imperfections of the 2002-2005 7 series. The headlight looks much better, the parking light ring is crystal clear and have a very sophisticated and modern look and also illuminate more intensely than the previous models. The headlamps are integrated into the body rather than standing out. The rear headlights are extremely elegant and reflect back to the traditional signature 'L' shaped rear lights of the 7 series. The extensive use of LED rings instead of individual LED bulbs brings a more sophisticated elegant look to the rear lights. The interior updates are minimal but very tasteful. The chrome tips for the AC knobs and the leather I-Drive knob are excellent examples. I-Drive is dramatically improved over the previous models as well as using a different kind of a higher resolution LCD monitor with a display that doesn't wash out in direct sunlight. The 2006 7 series is an extremely smart car, everything is connected to the computer system that detects and ''learns'' how to deal with problems. Wires and communication inside of the 2006 7 series is done using fiber optic cables for their reliance in delivering enormous amount of data at extremely high speeds from the endless sensors in the vehicle to the main computer. One example of how smart the car is, the adaptive headlights. When on a complete stop, the headlights do not turn to the left as you steer as to not blind oncoming traffic, but if you're driving and turning left the adaptive headlights steer to the left. With the right side, the headlights swing at all times. I am extremely excited to see what the 2009 7 series will offer.

islandbeef
05-10-2006, 11:56 PM
I like the new look. I wonder if it will have a hybrid engine? By that time, gas will be at least 6 bucks a gallon.

2006_750Li_ED
05-13-2006, 04:51 AM
BMW is always first to bring innovations.
I am not sure what they might be, but I am sure that if Mercedes had to do a radical change to match and perhaps exceed the 7 series for 2007, BMW will have to make a new standard for 2009, which is why I do not think that we will see a 2008 new 7 series.
The move from Lexus on the 2008 LS 600H L which is a hybrid engine and radical innovations will probably mean that BMW is going to have to come up with a similar enegy saving engine. They have talked about a hydrogen engine when I was at the factory in Munich.
I expect some advanced navigation system with advanced traffic control, I expect internet connectivity for downloading software updates, I expect surround sound , I expect a completely redesigned input device - no more i-drive.
I expect collision avoidance system like Lexus is unveiling and what is optional on the Acura.
I expect a step less transmission, continuouse variable in order to save energy, I expect the car to have solar cells on the roof to charge the intensive electrical systems when the car is idel on the street and keep the battery from depleting.
BMW could even add some kind of automatic steering with standard laser cruise control.
Voice activation will be much more extensive.
I am also expecting the car to have the traditional gear stick come back to supplement the steering wheel similarly to what is on the 5 series now.
they will have pedestrian air bags perhaps or something like it.
How about an anti theft system that will track the car on the internet once activated.
How about real massage seats, not just the ass grabber they put in the last 2 body styles.

I am expecting an active seat support like on the M5 and active steering and more patents to come.

The new 7 series will be a car like we have never seen before, it will set a new standard, so don't think that the 2006 face lift is perfection, there is a lot to improve on this wonderful car that I now have. I could go on and on, but one thing is sure, they need all the time possible to test and perfect the next car, so do not expect an early appearance in 2008

bergy10
05-13-2006, 07:01 AM
BMW is always first to bring innovations.
I am not sure what they might be, but I am sure that if Mercedes had to do a radical change to match and perhaps exceed the 7 series for 2007, BMW will have to make a new standard for 2009, which is why I do not think that we will see a 2008 new 7 series.
The move from Lexus on the 2008 LS 600H L which is a hybrid engine and radical innovations will probably mean that BMW is going to have to come up with a similar enegy saving engine. They have talked about a hydrogen engine when I was at the factory in Munich.
I expect some advanced navigation system with advanced traffic control, I expect internet connectivity for downloading software updates, I expect surround sound , I expect a completely redesigned input device - no more i-drive.
I expect collision avoidance system like Lexus is unveiling and what is optional on the Acura.
I expect a step less transmission, continuouse variable in order to save energy, I expect the car to have solar cells on the roof to charge the intensive electrical systems when the car is idel on the street and keep the battery from depleting.
BMW could even add some kind of automatic steering with standard laser cruise control.
Voice activation will be much more extensive.
I am also expecting the car to have the traditional gear stick come back to supplement the steering wheel similarly to what is on the 5 series now.
they will have pedestrian air bags perhaps or something like it.
How about an anti theft system that will track the car on the internet once activated.
How about real massage seats, not just the ass grabber they put in the last 2 body styles.

I am expecting an active seat support like on the M5 and active steering and more patents to come.

The new 7 series will be a car like we have never seen before, it will set a new standard, so don't think that the 2006 face lift is perfection, there is a lot to improve on this wonderful car that I now have. I could go on and on, but one thing is sure, they need all the time possible to test and perfect the next car, so do not expect an early appearance in 2008

You're making me drool!:yummy:

VonKindling
05-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Hopefully NO fender flares like the ones on the new Mercedes S500 those things are just brutal.

Kayani_1
05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
First thing first Iam liking the spy pic of future BMW 7 series. It has very coupe like aggressive looks. It kind of sort of reminds me of an Aston Martin's sexy coupes. Specialy from the rear. I think the coupe like sporty looks for sedans is very nice a la MB CLS.

So if the new 7 series has sporty aggressive coupe like shape I would really love it. :thumbup:

As for the the changes to 7 series. First I agree BMW is always the one to set trends with its flagship sedan and everybody else seems to just copy. Which is very evident in how current car technology is widely copied upto I-drive like systems etc.

This brings me to the few things I would not like to see get changed. But instead improved upon further. First, I will say as a owner of BMW 7 and thru extensive experience with 6 and 5. I dont find I-drive the nightmare media has tried to make it look like. Specialy those old geezers who cant handle anything high tech. These are the same people who never liked any Navigation system in cars. When they were first introduced back in the days. They resist every change and are boring.

In my opinion the owners I have met didnot have any problem operating the system. However, there might be few who are too lazy to take time to understand few simple things and thus find I-drive hard to use. But that is there fault and not I-drives. The excuse they use is that we are used to older BMW's. :thumbdwn:

To be honest I cant relate to them. Because as an owner of both the E39 5 series and E65 7 series. Where I like the E39 for its simple, effective and traditional functions. I also admire E65 for it high tech and ground breaking and non traditional direction in design. One thing is for sure I didnot get NAV system in my E39. Why?, because I considered it more of a hassle to use. But in the 7 I liked the concept behind the I-drive.

Personaly I dont find I-drive half as hard to use as some of those finky touch screen setups that are so abundant and never complained against in other cars. Even tho they are far more flawed in my mind then any I-drive setup. Most of them have Nav screen that are located lower in the middle center dash or lower center dash. Where as I-drive screen is located at the level of dirvers eyesight and inline with windshield. Where as in other systems the driver has to look down at the screen taking his eye sight lower and away from windshield. Thus in my mind I love the location of I-drive screen and find it far more safer and easy to use.

The second thing is I love how the I-drive knob falls right where my hand is resting on the armrest. It is not like I have to search and locate it. As is the case whith those tiny little buttons surrounding the stero or Nav systems of other cars. To me they are much harder to search and find and then upon locating these tiny buttons one has to slightly lean forward and move your arm over to the place where they are located. It seems more of a hassle compared to I-drive.

The third thing everyone forgets is that touch screen setups have there inherent flaws. Which are far greater then any I-drive. They show up over longterm use and abuse. The oil finger prints, dust and repeated use over a long time period make the touch screen lose its sensitivity. Then you end up with a screen that doesnot react to a simple touch and instead becomes stubborn and hard to use. Also another thing I hate with touch screen setups that drives me crazy is the nasty greasy finger prints all over the screen. I would just go insane constantly trying to clean it up.:mad:

Anyways, the inherent flaws of touch screen setups are well known and documented. But you will never hear these automotive editors/writers talk about them. Because to them only short term ease of use is there major concern not the longterm effects and hassles that come with touch screen. They dont want to spend few minutes it takes to understand a generaly easy to use system like I-drive. :dunno:

I for one hope that I-drive concept is kept alive in future BMW's. If anything they should work in making it even more simple and easy to use.

Another feature that I love and would not like changed is the small gear lever selector. I love the way it is shaped and how easy it is to use not mention the cool orange glow it produces from behind the small tiny glass covering over the P,D,N,R symbols. Here are some reasons I would trade this same setup in a heart beat in my E39 5 series with a traditional automatic mounted on the floor.

The first reason that I would trade the floor mounted shifter in a heart beat for the column mounted shifter found in the 7 is because it allows for more open space in the middle center console. This open space in turn results in a awesome and very large climate controled center console that is present in the 7 series. It not only holds lot of small cold drinks and keep them chilled. But can also hold very large size 1 lt. water bottle. Besides that I love the space for CD storage and direct cradle/charger for BMW factory cell phone.

Also, the large and very usefull cupholders of 7 series are far more usefull then the flimsy and useless cupholders of the E39 5 series thanks to the lack of floor mounted shifter in 7 series. Also there many small storage spaces created thanks to the open space in lower center dash which are usefull for small things. Also the uncluttered clean look of the wood that is not being blocked by a shifter in 7 series is very nice. Specaily at night time when the wood takes a life of its own thanks to the gentle glow of the ambient atmosphere lighting.

Anyways, I rather have a huge climate controled center console, and usefull cupholders as well as storage space then some automatic floor mounted shifter. I think with the manumatic function available right on your steering wheel it makes no sense for the floor mounted shifter.

Only cars that should have a floor mounted shifter should be the real deal 6-speed traditional manuals or the 7-speed SMG. In pure automatic cars I find it very useless. Specialy in cars like 7 series which are luxury flagships

M3Mike
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Nice looking but kinda Toyota Avalon-ish imo. :cry:

pan
05-30-2006, 08:24 PM
The second thing is I love how the I-drive knob falls right where my hand is...

That too was one of my favorite feature of the 745i. Unfortunately with the six you're almost groping your passenger's thigh.

Another feature that I love and would not like changed is the small gear lever selector. I love the way it is shaped and how easy it is to use .

I liked it and actually miss it. It was really nice if you were in "D" to push the on/off button and the transmission automatically moved to Park.

...the large and very useful cup holders of 7 series are far more usefull. The seven's cup holders were in my opinion one of the most elegant designs I have ever seen in any car.

Kayani_1
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Iam glad to see that you agree with me overall. Iam just tired of BMW getting undue negative feedback for some very nice and different as well as unique automotive design ideas.

LOL, as for that groping things. It can be a very positive thing if you have a hot girl siting besides you.::angel: D

That too was one of my favorite feature of the 745i. Unfortunately with the six you're almost groping your passenger's thigh.

I liked it and actually miss it. It was really nice if you were in "D" to push the on/off button and the transmission automatically moved to Park.

The seven's cup holders were in my opinion one of the most elegant designs I have ever seen in any car.

Kayani_1
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Iam glad to see that you agree with me overall. Iam just tired of BMW getting undue negative feedback for some very nice and different as well as unique automotive design ideas.

LOL, as for that groping things. It can be a very positive thing if you have a hot girl siting besides you.:angel:

The seven's cup holders were in my opinion one of the most elegant designs I have ever seen in any car.

Kayani_1
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM

LOL, as for that groping things. It can be a very positive thing if you have a hot girl siting besides you.:D

2006_750Li_ED
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
First thing first Iam liking the spy pic of future BMW 7 series. It has very coupe like aggressive looks. It kind of sort of reminds me of an Aston Martin's sexy coupes. Specialy from the rear. I think the coupe like sporty looks for sedans is very nice a la MB CLS.

So if the new 7 series has sporty aggressive coupe like shape I would really love it. :thumbup:

As for the the changes to 7 series. First I agree BMW is always the one to set trends with its flagship sedan and everybody else seems to just copy. Which is very evident in how current car technology is widely copied upto I-drive like systems etc.

This brings me to the few things I would not like to see get changed. But instead improved upon further. First, I will say as a owner of BMW 7 and thru extensive experience with 6 and 5. I dont find I-drive the nightmare media has tried to make it look like. Specialy those old geezers who cant handle anything high tech. These are the same people who never liked any Navigation system in cars. When they were first introduced back in the days. They resist every change and are boring.

In my opinion the owners I have met didnot have any problem operating the system. However, there might be few who are too lazy to take time to understand few simple things and thus find I-drive hard to use. But that is there fault and not I-drives. The excuse they use is that we are used to older BMW's. :thumbdwn:

To be honest I cant relate to them. Because as an owner of both the E39 5 series and E65 7 series. Where I like the E39 for its simple, effective and traditional functions. I also admire E65 for it high tech and ground breaking and non traditional direction in design. One thing is for sure I didnot get NAV system in my E39. Why?, because I considered it more of a hassle to use. But in the 7 I liked the concept behind the I-drive.

Personaly I dont find I-drive half as hard to use as some of those finky touch screen setups that are so abundant and never complained against in other cars. Even tho they are far more flawed in my mind then any I-drive setup. Most of them have Nav screen that are located lower in the middle center dash or lower center dash. Where as I-drive screen is located at the level of dirvers eyesight and inline with windshield. Where as in other systems the driver has to look down at the screen taking his eye sight lower and away from windshield. Thus in my mind I love the location of I-drive screen and find it far more safer and easy to use.

The second thing is I love how the I-drive knob falls right where my hand is resting on the armrest. It is not like I have to search and locate it. As is the case whith those tiny little buttons surrounding the stero or Nav systems of other cars. To me they are much harder to search and find and then upon locating these tiny buttons one has to slightly lean forward and move your arm over to the place where they are located. It seems more of a hassle compared to I-drive.

The third thing everyone forgets is that touch screen setups have there inherent flaws. Which are far greater then any I-drive. They show up over longterm use and abuse. The oil finger prints, dust and repeated use over a long time period make the touch screen lose its sensitivity. Then you end up with a screen that doesnot react to a simple touch and instead becomes stubborn and hard to use. Also another thing I hate with touch screen setups that drives me crazy is the nasty greasy finger prints all over the screen. I would just go insane constantly trying to clean it up.:mad:

Anyways, the inherent flaws of touch screen setups are well known and documented. But you will never hear these automotive editors/writers talk about them. Because to them only short term ease of use is there major concern not the longterm effects and hassles that come with touch screen. They dont want to spend few minutes it takes to understand a generaly easy to use system like I-drive. :dunno:

I for one hope that I-drive concept is kept alive in future BMW's. If anything they should work in making it even more simple and easy to use.

Another feature that I love and would not like changed is the small gear lever selector. I love the way it is shaped and how easy it is to use not mention the cool orange glow it produces from behind the small tiny glass covering over the P,D,N,R symbols. Here are some reasons I would trade this same setup in a heart beat in my E39 5 series with a traditional automatic mounted on the floor.

The first reason that I would trade the floor mounted shifter in a heart beat for the column mounted shifter found in the 7 is because it allows for more open space in the middle center console. This open space in turn results in a awesome and very large climate controled center console that is present in the 7 series. It not only holds lot of small cold drinks and keep them chilled. But can also hold very large size 1 lt. water bottle. Besides that I love the space for CD storage and direct cradle/charger for BMW factory cell phone.

Also, the large and very usefull cupholders of 7 series are far more usefull then the flimsy and useless cupholders of the E39 5 series thanks to the lack of floor mounted shifter in 7 series. Also there many small storage spaces created thanks to the open space in lower center dash which are usefull for small things. Also the uncluttered clean look of the wood that is not being blocked by a shifter in 7 series is very nice. Specaily at night time when the wood takes a life of its own thanks to the gentle glow of the ambient atmosphere lighting.

Anyways, I rather have a huge climate controled center console, and usefull cupholders as well as storage space then some automatic floor mounted shifter. I think with the manumatic function available right on your steering wheel it makes no sense for the floor mounted shifter.

Only cars that should have a floor mounted shifter should be the real deal 6-speed traditional manuals or the 7-speed SMG. In pure automatic cars I find it very useless. Specialy in cars like 7 series which are luxury flagships

Kayani, BMW must exceed in technology what is coming from Lexus and the new Mercedes S class.
BMW has always maintained its sporty drive as its soul , the mechanical gear shift is important for that feel, I do think that you bring important points regarding the space that it frees up, but they could bring in an electronic shifter that is not mechanically connected to the gear, just by an electric wire that maintains and duplicates the exsisting shifter.
Also with a variomatic transmission there could be an option to have a very sporty interaction with the car and I believe that it will be there while maintaining all of the free space we gained with the E65/E66, the best of all worlds.
RE I-Drive, it is absolutely easy to use, but not practical for major data entry as the next generation will require, I am sure that they completely redesign the concept, I agree that touch screen could be a little messy, but it is very effective, and I did not notice on my wife's Honda Odyssey any problems with it.
As I wrote before, if BMW wants to be a leader they must LEAD, and MAJOR changes must be done.

HGilmore
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Current 7 series owners suffer from the model replacement syndrom.

Bash the new model because it will date your current car. Happens all the time to all the models.
The 6 is next and I guess we can blame M.R.S., on basic human nature. Hopefully, Glaxo or Phizer will have something available soon via our local MD's.

kjaane
06-04-2006, 12:34 PM
hmmm.... i like the new pics at first glance, especially after the current 7 (which is really ugly IMO)

i know a lot of people like them, but both the 7 and the MB s-class are really ugly. this new one looks like a mix of a new 3 coupe back and a modified 6er front (not to mention the ///M transmission if you look at the interior pics), and it looks a hell of a lot hotter than the current 7.

04SSHD
06-04-2006, 12:55 PM
looks interesting, but will have to wait to see it happen

Kayani_1
06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Hmmmm.......I respect your point of view. But for all the technology lexus and MB have they cant duplicate the soul of BMW machines strange huh.:dunno:

As for the electronic shifter that is not mechanically connected. I dont know what you are trying to say in your point about electronic shifter. Because my point had nothing to do with electronic or non electronic. All I was saying was that a floor mounted shifter to me makes no sense in BMW 7 series or any other car with pure automatic tranny. The floor mounted shifter makes sense in cars that have SMG or true manual 6-speed clutch operated transmissions. The pure automatic cars have no advantage of having shifter mounted on the floor that is all. Where the whole electronic shifter thing you brought up came from is beyond me.:eeps:

I think you are confusing technology derivatives with placement of shifter. Because if you are suggesting that BMW is behind in transmission technology then I would have to disagree with you whole heartedly. That is because BMW is the only manufacture that offers choice of 3 different types of transmissions mostly across it lineup. No one else has has as many variations in as many models as BMW. Not lexus and not MB and not Infiniti and not Jaguar etc. I think BMW 7-speed SMG, 6-speed SMG, 6-speed auto, and 6-speed manual are one of the most advanced transmissions. They cover all type of driving flavors from full involvement to super sporty track ready to no hassle and smooth automatic. Now dont get me wrong by no way am I suggesting that BMW doesnot need to do any more work to improve. As you know and I know BMW will continue to improve on its class leading technology. In future we might see 8-speed SMG with even more seemless and smooth automatic mode and even more intense manual mode and maybe even a 8-speed auto.

As far as touch screen setups go atleast we both agree they can be messy. I dont know how old your wifes Honda Odyssey is so I cant comment on it. But it is a fact that with longterm use and abuse touch screen systems are known to loose there sensitivity after repeated use of year after year. Thanks to repeated oily finger prints, dust, and scratches left from daily use. This is not made up thing Iam just saying. It is well known fact and is is very well documented as the biggest flaws for such touch screen setups. The fundementals behind the touch screen technology if you look into it gets disrupted with oily finger prints, dust particles and longterm use.

Thus what happens over longterm use of such setups is one ends up repeatedly touching the same area to make the thing finaly work. Also another flaw is that some time things are so close together that if you touch one the other gets pressed by mistake that has happened to me many times.

Not to mention one huge factor that I hate is that :mad:.... there is no tactile feed back to let you know if the touch screen has actually registered your command or not. Now these things to me can get annoying and that is why I perfer I-drive like setup over these touch screen setup.

Anyways, that is my opinion and by no means Iam suggesting your opinions are not valid. I also believe that I-drive type systems are far from flawless. They can be further improved with better technology but the concept in mind is much superior.:)

Kayani, BMW must exceed in technology what is coming from Lexus and the new Mercedes S class.
BMW has always maintained its sporty drive as its soul , the mechanical gear shift is important for that feel, I do think that you bring important points regarding the space that it frees up, but they could bring in an electronic shifter that is not mechanically connected to the gear, just by an electric wire that maintains and duplicates the exsisting shifter.
Also with a variomatic transmission there could be an option to have a very sporty interaction with the car and I believe that it will be there while maintaining all of the free space we gained with the E65/E66, the best of all worlds.
RE I-Drive, it is absolutely easy to use, but not practical for major data entry as the next generation will require, I am sure that they completely redesign the concept, I agree that touch screen could be a little messy, but it is very effective, and I did not notice on my wife's Honda Odyssey any problems with it.
As I wrote before, if BMW wants to be a leader they must LEAD, and MAJOR changes must be done.