PDA

View Full Version : hood latch

black_ace
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Has anyone ran into the problem with their car telling them the hood is open? It's very irratating and my sory ass shop says they wont have a loan car till friday. I may just pop up and go nuts on the service drive in the morning. This bmw service sucks compared to what I get at lexus. Plus the building is way below standards for people selling 80k cars.

novemberzulu
03-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Glad to see i am not the only one, I have also suffered the bonnet chatch thing with the warnings to stop and check the bonnet going off constantly.I think the dealers have trouble when the problem does not exist while with the technition.I have it booked in for sensor replacement next week.

skt
03-17-2008, 09:08 PM
any updates on this? im just starting to have this mysterious problem

Mikey83
03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Whoa, thread brought back from the dead.
Whos up for the challenge??

skt
03-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Bmw_tech?

Joe-BMW
03-18-2008, 04:46 AM
I had this issue on my 2002 right after I had the car detailed and they cleaned up the engine bay. There is a pop up button on the drivers side corner close to the windshield that is the sensor. It gets pushed down when the hood is closed and pops up when the hood is open. It can easily be bent down while wiping the area.

I bent mine up a little and it resolved the problem for a while. Then the warning returned. I am guessing the detailer put too much armorall on it and the connection was being compromised. I removed it and tried to clean it with alchohol and it didn't resolve the probelm. Although I was under warranty, I didn't feel like bringing it in just for this so I ordered a new one (it was cheap) and fixed the issue.

Allzwell
03-18-2008, 07:28 AM
You guys are correct it is the hood sensor for the alarm system.

It's such an easy fix even my service group at the dealer could fix it. They're the sorriest bunch alive and it only took them 2 tries.

BMW_tech
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Bmw_tech?

Face your car and pay close attention to the lines on the hood and front of the car.You may find that one side is higher that the other or vice versa.If the hood has play or looseness,this would cause the warning lamp to come on.Of course,this could also set off your alarm erroneously.Try opening the hood and inspecting the latches for debris or misalignment.Adjust the rubber buffer/stops accordingly.When closing the hood,try to place your hand on the roundel and push the hood down to close evenly.

skt
03-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks ill try this, No wonder my alarm has been going koo-koo