PDA

View Full Version : Possible Battery problems in the 1999 M3

Thomas2006
03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Fellas,

Thank you for all of the great advice. It has been priceless especially the info on the convertible top. My trunk is now fixed and the top opens and closes flawlessly. Now I have a poblem with my battery...possibly. I got the battery tested at my garage and the mechanic told me that my charge was good. But...many mornings I get in my car and it will not start. I give it a jump and I am good to go all day. Any suggestions? Thaks in advance :thumbup:

ImperialDuckM3
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
You have a bad alternator...

Thomas2006
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
How much is a new alternator????? Here we go again.....I am getting nickeled and dimed to death...:cry: :mad:

ImperialDuckM3
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Depends on how much amp you need. You're looking at $185 for a good one. Check out Bimmerparts.com

iateyourcheese
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
You have a bad alternator...

Why do you say that? A car with a bad alternator wouldn't run all day like the OP said.

saint166
03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
u dont need a new alternator . just buy a new battery it just wont hold a charge after that u will be good to go

ImperialDuckM3
03-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Why do you say that? A car with a bad alternator wouldn't run all day like the OP said.

Because Alternator is what charge your battery during normal driving. Battery is use to start your car,hence the cranking ratio. If your alternator fail, then your car will be draining the power from your battery without recharging it..

ImperialDuckM3
03-21-2006, 11:45 PM
u dont need a new alternator . just buy a new battery it just wont hold a charge after that u will be good to go

So what happen if he buys a new battery and it dies??? If the battery is okey, and the fuild is full. I see no reason in why the battery would fail..

iateyourcheese
03-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Because Alternator is what charge your battery during normal driving. Battery is use to start your car,hence the cranking ratio. If your alternator fail, then your car will be draining the power from your battery without recharging it..

But the alternator provides power to your car while it's running. It runs the radio, provides the spark for your engine, etc. If your alternator dies, you can't go very far before your car stops. Simple as that. If he can get a jump and drive around, then it can't be the alternator.

ImperialDuckM3
03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
But the alternator provides power to your car while it's running. It runs the radio, provides the spark for your engine, etc. If your alternator dies, you can't go very far before your car stops. Simple as that. If he can get a jump and drive around, then it can't be the alternator.

True, but if you just drive the car without putting extra load (car radio, blower, ac, etc..) the car could drive until you turn off the car. You have to understand the purpose of the altnernator. Its main job, is to charge the battery and maintain the correct voltage.

If he stated the battery is good, what could have drain it? You always look at the charging system, which by the way, is the alternator. Basic mechanic 101...

Jon Shafer
03-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I just had my '99 M3 serviced as my SA said that my battery
tested low a couple of different times. I suspect that both
you and I need new batteries...

iateyourcheese
03-22-2006, 10:22 AM
True, but if you just drive the car without putting extra load (car radio, blower, ac, etc..) the car could drive until you turn off the car. You have to understand the purpose of the altnernator. Its main job, is to charge the battery and maintain the correct voltage.

If he stated the battery is good, what could have drain it? You always look at the charging system, which by the way, is the alternator. Basic mechanic 101...

I think the OP would have mentioned, "Hey I can drive it once I get a jump, albeit without radio, fan, lights, etc."

A bad battery is also one that can be charged, but will not hold the charge for very long. My vote is still the battery.

I hope the OP just takes the car someplace like Autozone or Napa. These places will check your battery for free, although recognize they do want to sell you something. They should be able to tell. Or you can pull out your voltmeter and check the alternator.

Thomas2006
03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I would like to thank the bimmer family for all of the advice. tHE CAR NEVER HAS ANY PROBLEMS WHILE i AM DRIVING. i PLAY THE RADIO, CD Player and have the heat going from time to time. This morning it started but it seemed like it was a real strain on the battery to get going.

thilton59
03-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Time for a story...
I once had a 914, brand new battery, lights would work spark would...spark, and it would start, sometimes. I'd charge the battery and it'd be fine for a while. I got pretty good at the one man push start too (the secret is to always park on a hill). But anyway, I replaced the the voltage regulator, nope. I replaced the alternator and yes! The alternator would charge, just not a lot, or all the time. Why the lights etc... would work was because they draw a lot less current then the starter. The starter takes 12V, the car will run with about 9V. You can just send you alternator out to get it rebuilt and it'll only cost you 85-100 bucks.
(and I'm getting killed slowly as well by those nickles and dimes...)

ImperialDuckM3
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
I think the OP would have mentioned, "Hey I can drive it once I get a jump, albeit without radio, fan, lights, etc."

A bad battery is also one that can be charged, but will not hold the charge for very long. My vote is still the battery.

I hope the OP just takes the car someplace like Autozone or Napa. These places will check your battery for free, although recognize they do want to sell you something. They should be able to tell. Or you can pull out your voltmeter and check the alternator.

He did stated he had it check and it was holding charges. So if the battery is holding charge, then what's draining it? How come its not being charge? I totally believe its the alternator not fully charging the battery, of course I have been wrong before:) and it could be something else that killing your battery or not properly charging it.

Thomas2006
03-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Thilton and Imperial Duck...I have 99,000 miles on it so it may be time for a new alternator. Just 2 days ago I looked back through my rearview and saw that my antenna had broken off. Now I have to replace that also but I wont do it with a new one!!! :cry: :thumbup:

thilton59
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
The only other thing I would think it could be is that you have a stereo system, alarm, or something that was wired incorrectly and has a "hot all the time" on it that is draining the battery when the car is not on. If you've done any DIY electric work on the car then maybe... but I'm going with the alternator. And a new antenna now! I thought I had the unluckiest m3, but I think you get that title...

Thomas2006
03-24-2006, 11:05 AM
THILTON...You are correct. Every damn day its another thing. I have a stock radio and cd player. This morning int did it again and I had to jump it. The car behaves like a light or something had been left on all night and has been draining the battery. :cry:
The antenna is something of a headache itself.

lesl2
03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds like you have a component that is drawing current while it sits at night. You can monitor the current draw with an ampmeter. Pull fuses to determine where the draw is coming from. If you don't have an ampmeter, you need to pull the battery cables at night and connect it in the morning. If the car starts well, then this confirms that you have a component that is drawing current. You will need to use the process of elimination method with the fuses to find the component.

davesafc
04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
regarding the battery/altenator argument, surley it cant be either if the electrics are working fine can it? (im no mechanic by the way just puzzles me) if the battery was knackered then obviously the electrics would die, if the alternator was knackered then it wouldnt charge the battery so once again the electrics would die, true? but as the guy/gal? said radio and everything is working whilst driving.

thilton59
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Crazy brits, "knackered". :rofl:

ALEX99M3
04-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Hey do you still have the stock battery???? If you do that is your problem. I had the same problem on my 99 and it was the battery. They only last 4 years.

ALEX99M3
04-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Hey do you still have the stock battery???? If you do that is your problem. I had the same problem on my 99 and it was the battery. They only last 4 years.

ALEX99M3
04-05-2006, 03:01 AM

thilton59
04-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Easy on the post button there bud. ;)

Thomas2006
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Once again the Bimmer family is flawless. I replaced the battery and everything is fine now. Thanks again everyone....well...until the next problem LOL