PDA

View Full Version : Need to wash my car in Boston, please help..

Josh49
05-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone is in the Boston area with a garden house. I need a place to use my bucket and wash mit, would probably take at most half an hour. Will pay you for the water. I live in an apt building and do not have access to a hose. I have tried unsuccessfully to wash my car in self service places, and then have had them yelling at me for using a bucket (which is retarded as they had no other business). I have had my car for two months now and haven't washed it thoroughly yet, and I get more and more pissed off as the days go buy..

I just moved here, I used to be able to wash my car every week, even through the winter, I was a volunteer firefighter where I lived and we could use the wash bay whenever we wanted. Not being able to wash my car is really pissing me off, and I am looking for a new place as we speak.. :mad:

I live in Arlington, if someone close could help out a fellow bmw owner I would really appreciate it. I have my bucket, zaino car wash, washmit, and drying cloths in the back of my car ready to go.. You could be compensated in cash or beer, your choice... Again, all I need is a hose to use...

Thanks,
Josh

motor_werke
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I live in the Metrowest area, about 1 hour away from Arlington. Too bad, I would have helped you out. I know the feeling of needing to wash the cars. I was able to get my landlord to let me use the hose when I signed my lease for the second year, but it took a lot to get this out of him! This was at an apartment minutes from Arlington at the time.

Alvizzo913
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I live in metrowest as well, and I'd help you out, too. Try eurotrashne.com in the forums there, I think there are some people there in Boston, maybe even some in Arlington. If not there, try BimmerForums.com in the New England section of the regionals. I'm sure there's some people that would be willing to help out another bimmer owner. Good luck!

Josh49
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm surprised at the lack of replies, I know if it were the other way around, I wouldn't mind someone stopping by and using the hose, so they could feel better about having their car nice and clean.. It really doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.. Guess I gotta keeping pushing to find a new place...

Thanks for the replies and offers, its extremely frustrating not being able to wash your car at all..

DMD
05-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Just go to the allston car wash, its automated and does a decent job...its like a spa for your cah....dont let your car go unwashed!

motor_werke
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Just go to the allston car wash, its automated and does a decent job...its like a spa for your cah....dont let your car go unwashed!

I think Josh wants to hand wash the car, not go through a car wash. My car has always been hand washed by myself or my father for the 14 years of its existence. (never seen a car wash ever, except in the winters when I use the stalls with the pressure wand).

This is the only way to keep the car swirl free (or close to it) and looking like new.

JonathanIT
05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
There's no such thing as a coin-op DIY carwash place on the East Coast?? They're everywhere in CA.

[edit] I just re-read the post and saw the reference. I'm sure if you shop around, there's one that will let you use a bucket. Find a 24 hr. one and go during off hours... there's nobody around to yell at you. I go late at night to use the vacuums and they're empty.

--J.

Proofrock
05-23-2006, 07:47 PM
There's no such thing as a coin-op DIY carwash place on the East Coast?? They're everywhere in CA.

[edit] I just re-read the post and saw the reference. I'm sure if you shop around, there's one that will let you use a bucket. Find a 24 hr. one and go during off hours... there's nobody around to yell at you. I go late at night to use the vacuums and they're empty.

--J.

Suprisingly enough, the DIY coin-op wash places are few and far between in the metro areas of the northeast. When I lived in North Carolina they were everywhere. When I moved to Philly I noticed they tend to only be in the shady areas, far away from center city and the nice suburbs. When I lived in the suburbs I used to drive 25 minutes to the closest one...now that I live in the city I haven't found one remotely close and have to use the auto washes.

Cthemall
05-24-2006, 03:01 AM
sorry bro, i love to help you out, but i live 4000 miles away from you.

get a super soaker?? o_O !

Josh49
05-24-2006, 04:12 AM
sorry bro, i love to help you out, but i live 4000 miles away from you.

get a super soaker?? o_O !

Its funny you mention that. I've been using a 1 gallon pesticide sprayer that I bought at home depot for $10 to detail the wheels. I fill it with water, pump it up, and it sprays pretty well. Then I have my bucket with soap. It works really well.. In my lease however it says I'm not supposed to wash my car, so I don't push my luck to much and start working on the body. I wash the wheels every week or two, and its so little water I don't think anyone would complain... At the time I did think about getting a supersoaker though.. :D

Josh49
05-24-2006, 04:13 AM
I think Josh wants to hand wash the car, not go through a car wash. My car has always been hand washed by myself or my father for the 14 years of its existence. (never seen a car wash ever, except in the winters when I use the stalls with the pressure wand).

This is the only way to keep the car swirl free (or close to it) and looking like new.

Yup.. :thumbup:

Josh49
05-24-2006, 04:15 AM

--J.

Yeah I might try going late at night, when there's no one there to be a dick about it. I wouldn't use a bucket and take my time if there were people waiting, if I was the only one at the place, yeah, why not? I'm still pumping about 10 dollars of quarters into their machine, its not look they're loosing business, or not making money..

330ximd
05-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Josh, I just saw this thread, sorry for the late offer, but you can use my driveway and facilities to wash your car, welcome to Boston man. I will be gone this week and next though on medical conferences, but I will be back on the 4th. I'll PM you w/ directions, I'm in Cambridge, not that far from Arlington, so you won't have an awful trek.

Dale Pickle
05-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Another option, and this is what I do, is to go to a place where they will hand wash it for you. I recommend Dr. Detail, they have locations in the parking garages of several malls. I use the one in the CambridgeSide Galleria. You should call a day in advance and let them know you want to come in, its 617-577-0397.

They do a very nice job and I'm sure you will see plenty of other BMWs and other luxury makes in there. It takes about an hour and you can kill the time by shopping around in the mall ... or circling the food court and seeing how many variations of chicken you can get free samples of.

A basic handwash is something like $13. The next step up is $30 and includes a handwash, cleaning all the windows, and vacuuming the interior. They do a very nice job on the rims as well. I get this done every few weeks and my car looks beautiful.

kdan
05-24-2006, 08:25 AM
the sommerville self serve car wash is kind of ghetto, i dont think they would mind. :thumbup:

Blinky330XI
05-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Hey Josh, welcome to Boston!
You think its bad now, wait until the winter rolls around... :mad: :mad:
I'm also in the area, although closer to the South Shore. But you will find me in my driveway this weekend, and I have a hose as well. There is a fantastic DIY garage in Norwood on RT 1 (ROJOS). let me know if you're down for a ride... From Arlington, its about a 30-45 min ride to Exit 15a/b on RT 128/95 South.

Josh49
05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Another option, and this is what I do, is to go to a place where they will hand wash it for you. I recommend Dr. Detail, they have locations in the parking garages of several malls. I use the one in the CambridgeSide Galleria. You should call a day in advance and let them know you want to come in, its 617-577-0397.

They do a very nice job and I'm sure you will see plenty of other BMWs and other luxury makes in there. It takes about an hour and you can kill the time by shopping around in the mall ... or circling the food court and seeing how many variations of chicken you can get free samples of.

A basic handwash is something like $13. The next step up is $30 and includes a handwash, cleaning all the windows, and vacuuming the interior. They do a very nice job on the rims as well. I get this done every few weeks and my car looks beautiful.

Thanks, I really don't mind washing my own car though, I've been washing my car and my family's cars since I was young, I couldn't ever really understand paying someone to wash my car. I like spending time washing my car, especially on a nice day, detailing a car to me is very relaxing, takes my mind off everything else... In the winter though I'll look this up, though I really don't trust other people scratch and swirl wise...

Josh49
05-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey Josh, welcome to Boston!
You think its bad now, wait until the winter rolls around... :mad: :mad:
I'm also in the area, although closer to the South Shore. But you will find me in my driveway this weekend, and I have a hose as well. There is a fantastic DIY garage in Norwood on RT 1 (ROJOS). let me know if you're down for a ride... From Arlington, its about a 30-45 min ride to Exit 15a/b on RT 128/95 South.

Thanks Blinky, a DIY sounds good sometime actually. I have the whole Zaino kit in the box waiting to be used, if I get a weekend free maybe I'll spend a good day at a DIY garage. About how much does it cost per hour, or day?

abomb
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
There's a DIY stall car wash on Lexington Street in Waltham next to Blockbuster. The sign says no buckets but I go there often and have never had anyone say anything about using a bucket. I just try to keep it quick and not hang out in there too long. I believe that it's also 24 hour.

Josh49
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Josh, I just saw this thread, sorry for the late offer, but you can use my driveway and facilities to wash your car, welcome to Boston man. I will be gone this week and next though on medical conferences, but I will be back on the 4th. I'll PM you w/ directions, I'm in Cambridge, not that far from Arlington, so you won't have an awful trek.

Hey thank you for the offer, and pm. I might have to take you up on this one of these days when you get back. I looked up your address, it's a pita to get to from me (all stop and go) but distance-wise not far at all. I can bring my own bucket, soap, etc, all I need is a hose, like I said.. Thanks, I'll send you a pm in a couple of weeks.. :thumbup:

Looking forward to getting this clean again. I can do my wheels (with my sprayer) and interior on my own, I just need a hose to get the outside done and dry.. It shouldn't take too long at all..

Thanks again, I'll keep in touch..

cantona7
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM

I strongly second this suggestion. Dr. Detail is one of the best values you can get for car washes in Boston. And since it's in the Galleria, you can get your car done while you shop and you don't even need to look for parking. I would stay away from Allston Car Wash--it's just a regular automated car wash inside and you WILL get paint swirls from the machines. One other thing...the Dr. Detail in the Galleria uses regular hoses instead of the super high pressure ones you get at DIY places (so it doesn't sandblast your paint).

X550-ED
05-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone is in the Boston area with a garden house... You could be compensated in cash or beer, your choice... Again, all I need is a hose to use...

Thanks,
Josh

I'm too lazy to wash my car and take it to the dealer instead for a wash... but now I see how having a garage with a 2 hoses (one with regular water and one with soft water) and unlimited water to wash my car is a luxury :rofl:

cmccart
05-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I am in Watertown on the cambridge/belmont border (take Rt3/16 to me ~5 minutes from Arlington) -- you can use my driveway if you'd like. email me caseymc@gmail.com --

i'll be gone most of the weekend but will be there tomorrow during the day washing my car myself :)

///tonic
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I imagine you're all set by now, but I'm in somerville, and you're more than welcome to use my driveway.

Josh49
06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks... Once all this rain stops I will definitely be in touch!!