PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Insurance Internship opportunity for undergrad student

LeftCoastBias
06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm looking for an intern to work for me in a Commercial P&C Insurance environment in San Diego, CA.

if you, or someone you know, might be interested- please pass this information along.

Intern

Position Reference #668770
Job will go off line on: 9/29/2006

Organization - Name Withheld

A full service Insurance Brokerage offering clients the tools and the experience to manage their risks in property and casualty, employee benefits, professional liability, and other areas of coverage. The agency also offers a full range of personal and life/health products and services.

Qualifications

Undergrad student, part time or full time; preference would be given to those enrolled or focusing on the greater Business studies (Econ, Bus Admin, Finance, Marketing, etc.)

*Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
*Excellent time management, planning and organization skills
*Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment and act with a sense of urgency
*Excellent consultation and presentations skills
*Professional, positive and service oriented demeanor
*Strong interpersonal, relationship building and account management skills
*Superior problem solving skills must be resourceful and creative with solutions
*Solid PC skills including knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

Position Description

Internship will be a learning opportunity, primarily- and skill development will be considered as new tasks and assignments are given.

You may expect to find yourself:

1. Working with corporate clients to assist them in managing their insurance risks, employee and benefits needs.

2. Manage insurance carrier relationships on behalf of our clients.

3. Market client accounts to carriers.

4. Prepare proposals and presentations.

5. Assist clients with implementation of benefits program.

6. Opportunity to participate in sales activities.

NO direct experience required; tasks and assignments will be delegated and taught by Dept Head and determined by the skill set the selected intern has shown as they progress.

Possible permanent employment opportunity after internship.

Hours and times needed are negotiable and flexible.

Not a paid internship, but will consider a possible stipend determined upon duties performed and progressive responsibility within the role.

Course Credit will be given, and any/all requirements of the university's departments will be complied to ensure the intern is fully and duly credited for their time and work.

Additional Information

Locations : San Diego, CA, United States
Percentage Travel : No Travel
Position Starts : Not Spec.
Hours : flexible
Openings Available : 1-3
Salary Range : Internship; stipend may be considered after some length
Duration : to be determined
Work Types : Full Time, Part Time, Regular, Temporary, Summer Job, Internship

Contact Information

email: leftcoastbias @ gmail.com

low stress, laid-back office. dress code ranges from suits to jeans (i'm wearing jeans and loafers today) depending on client meetings, and presentations, etc.

LeftCoastBias
06-02-2006, 09:51 AM
i was responding to an email about this internship and realized that his questions were very good (which is an excellent sign for any hiring manager; if your candidate has good questions, that means they are thinking).

so i thought maybe it would be best to post the response to most of his questions:

You do not have to have a business degree; I only put that in the intern post because I want someone that is actually interested in what we're doing.

I didn't want someone to come and sit on their ass just to get some course credit- and have no desire to actually learn anything.

The opportunity is an excellent look at how the insurance industry works, and a "behind the scenes" view of something EVERY American resident purchases.

The knowledge is very transferable to other industries, and is a good background for any career. I've done other things, but I enjoy the freedom as well as the daily life of working within the insurance industry.

This isn't your father's insurance industry. There's no door-to-door selling of fly by night policies like vacuum salesmen. And dealing with commercial clients is much more involved, entertaining, and exciting than personal lines (in my opinion, of course).

Not an attempt to sell myself to you, but I realized I should post this with the job ad; my background in insurance is varied. I started out working in fraud & lit cases for the world's largest insurance carrier. I moved into an underwriting position after burn out and ended up working in national accounts. Some of my former accounts are household names across the country. There's a good chance the tires on your car are made by a company I worked on, or bought at a national tire chain that was an account of mine as well.

There's a very large trial that just ended; my former manager had to testify at the first one (in the series of trials related to the events), as it was an account in our team.

I've also written small business and hard to place horror story accounts for a carrier with a very aggressive appetite for the unusual risks.

My background in insurance has been focused primarily on Executive Risk and I've done a couple of stints in CA workers' comp- which is a VERY tumultuous segment of the industry.

The candidate selected for this will benefit from the experience of a small team with over 200 combined years in the industry. Our office has existed in San Diego since 1924; making it one of the oldest brokerages still operating in the area. We're not a big company- but you will benefit by working directly with those who make the day-to-day decisions that affect the company and its direction.