PDA

View Full Version : etched water spots, polishing needed?

cheps
06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
I am really mad at myself. I quickly sprayed off bird dropping during my lunch break and didn't dry the car. Subsequently water spots formed on the car and when I went to give it a full bath a couple days later they are now etched into the paint. This has never happened with my other car and it has dark paint not silver.
I tried washing with dawn. no help. 50/50 vinegar/water, no help. 100% vinegar no help. Scratch X, No help. I'm about to just give up and take it to a pro. but first, is there anything else I can try. ie. ducky water spot remover, FK1 Decontamination Kit, PC with polishing compounds.
I am leaning towards professional help but would like to do it myself if there is minimal risk using a polisher (PC). Next regarding the tools needed for polishing; which model of porter cable is easiest to use, and which polishes would I need (3M, Griots, etc). Your suggestion and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Scott

marc545i
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Clay? :dunno:

Brent P
06-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I find a quick once over with spray instant-detailer does the trick for water marks. Something like Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer should work.

Water doesn't etch paint. What you're probably referring to are calcium deposits from hard water. If the instant detailer doesn't work, try CLR Kitchen and Bath spray cleaner (it's milder than liquid CLR, and has additional cleaners added to it). It will remove all the watermarks instantly, then wash and hose off immediately. It won't damage the paint if rinsed off quickly, but it might strip some wax. It would probably be a good idea to re-wax after.

cheps
06-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I'snt CLR really strong. I looked at purchasing it a few years ago for general cleaning around the house but it stated the need to wear glove. If it has the possibility of eating/irritating my skin wouldn't it cause damage to the clear coat?

Brent P
06-19-2006, 05:33 AM
I'snt CLR really strong. I looked at purchasing it a few years ago for general cleaning around the house but it stated the need to wear glove. If it has the possibility of eating/irritating my skin wouldn't it cause damage to the clear coat?
Regular CLR in a jug is very strong. The Kitchen and Bath spray is much milder. If you left a puddle on your paint for a long time it might cause some etching, but spraying, wiping, and rinsing won't cause any problems. The stuff is designed for household use, and it's never damaged the paint or counter surfaces in my house (and auto paint is many times tougher than house paint, so I wouldn't expect any problems). I'd give the Instant Detailer a try first though. I just used it yesterday after washing my car and driving away without drying it (lots of water spots). It took them all off and left a perfect shine.

dboy11
06-19-2006, 07:26 AM
If your paint is etched then wet sanding is about the only solution and that's for the pro's.....If its just water spots then the FK1 kit will take them off....I use that here for my details.....If I where you I would have a pro have a look and see what they say....

cheps
06-21-2006, 09:31 PM
I tried the CLR this week without any luck. I also picked up some 3M rubbing compound, which made no difference, as expected. Guess I'll have to find a quality detailer. thanks for everyones input.

dboy11
06-22-2006, 07:25 AM
I tried the CLR this week without any luck. I also picked up some 3M rubbing compound, which made no difference, as expected. Guess I'll have to find a quality detailer. thanks for everyones input.

With your finger nail can you feel the spots if that is the case and I suspect that you will the paint is etched into the clear...wet sanding is the solution....seek out a pro in your area

cheps
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I can't feel ithem with my fingernail but I can feel really small bumps under the towel when I run it across the wet finish. Today I received a quote of $200 for a three stage polish over the hood and roof. Tonight I tried to clay a small section without any result.
I find it really hard to believe that the paint is this poor on such a high quality vehicle. The Honda has been abused for many years and I've never experienced this type of problem with hard water. The question then; is this a warranty issue? I would assume not but just throwing it out there. thanks

picus
06-23-2006, 06:32 AM
It's not. BMW paint is typically harder than Honda paint; sometimes it's just a matter of luck. Some bird etchings won't happen for weeks and some will happen in seconds. Regardless of how bad the etching is it's unlikely you need three polishing stages; but I'm not there to see it so...

jbrannon7
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Just be happy you dont live in the North East where a simple shower from acid rain will etch the clear coat.

I can't feel ithem with my fingernail but I can feel really small bumps under the towel when I run it across the wet finish. Today I received a quote of $200 for a three stage polish over the hood and roof. Tonight I tried to clay a small section without any result.
I find it really hard to believe that the paint is this poor on such a high quality vehicle. The Honda has been abused for many years and I've never experienced this type of problem with hard water. The question then; is this a warranty issue? I would assume not but just throwing it out there. thanks