PDA

View Full Version : drying your car

mrdell4150
06-18-2006, 07:35 AM
How do you guys dry your cars after washing? I can never seem to get all the water off with regula towels and the water marks look like ****.

marc545i
06-18-2006, 09:30 AM
You'll never get the car dry with regular towels. Buy some waffle-weave microfiber towels - they're amazing. You can dry your whole car with one of them without ever having to wring the towel dry. I got mine on Ebay, but they're available in most auto places. Make sure it's a "waffle-weave".
The "Big Blue" brand is very good.

Here's a link to one place: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/1850/sc/2737

BmW745On19's
06-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I like to go first with a california water blade (you can pick them up at your local car parts store, i.e. Advanced Auto) then I follow up with either a 100% Cotton towel from Griot's Garage or a MF Towel I picked up at target (which ever is clean I use) they both do great jobs but the MF towel seems to pick up every piece of dirt/particles on the car and holds them.

WILLIA///M
06-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Make sure it's a "waffle-weave".
The "Big Blue" brand is very good.

Here's a link to one place: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/1850/sc/2737

+1

Scott_H
06-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Also make sure you pull the nozzle off for the last rinse. Just letting the water flow over the surface will leave less beads, and less water overall to wipe off.

///M3lissa
06-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I use a blue microfiber...its the size of a bath towel and will dry the entire car.

Bill-SD
06-18-2006, 12:49 PM
I use the water blade and then a waffle weave towel. You really have to try a waffle weave. Once you try one, you'll never go back to a regular towel.

mrdell4150
06-18-2006, 02:31 PM
k thanks guys. gonna get the weave towel and water blade asap.

BmW745On19's
06-18-2006, 02:35 PM
:thumbup:

Try out the Jelly-California Car Blade, the original one has a plastic handle where as the Jelly blade is made of silicone along with the blade itself. I find that every once in a while I screw up with the plastic handle and I make a nasty mark on the car, but I easily remove it with clay but it's still a hassle.

mimic
06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I use a synthetic chamoise. Tried a real one before, but find this one is better. Soaks up the water, holds it, and leaves no water marks behind.

marc545i
06-18-2006, 11:51 PM
I use a synthetic chamoise. Tried a real one before, but find this one is better. Soaks up the water, holds it, and leaves no water marks behind.
The thing you have to worry about with chamois is that they tend to hold on to small pieces of grit and dirt, so you have to be careful of scratching your car when using them. When I first bought my car a few months ago, I was going to use the chamois again, but then I found out that they were outdated. Maybe the synthetic doesn't have the same problem as the original? :dunno:

Johnz3mc
06-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Electric air blower for me (two stage Toro). It gets into crevices, dries wheels and tires, and removes 99% of the water. What's left is taken care of during the FK425 phase.
-John C.

Spartacus_33
06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
I use the water blade and then a waffle weave towel. You really have to try a waffle weave. Once you try one, you'll never go back to a regular towel.
+1..... except I am VERY careful with the water blade, and usually only use it on the roof and windows, (my car is Black). After each stroke, I wipe it off with a small MF towel and inspect regularly for small particles..... one little tiny particle..... and you get long parallel scratches.

jvr826
06-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Electric air blower for me (two stage Toro). It gets into crevices, dries wheels and tires, and removes 99% of the water. What's left is taken care of during the FK425 phase.
-John C.

I also use a leaf blower, then I follow up with a waffle weave towel. Prior I was a water blade guy, but started noticing some fine scratches that seemed to follow the direction I was dragging the water blade.

dboy11
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
-John C.

I'm sort of along these lines I dry the car with a big waffle weave towel...then in the garage use the leaf blower to get the water out of the cracks then I use a quick dealer spray to get the car real clean

Johnz3mc
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I forgot to mention the little trick/tip for using the leafblower to dry the car.
Jeff and Dave know this one already because they're experts.

As long as the car has a good coating of sealant or wax, the water just blows off beautifully. It may be a tedious process if the surface has been neglected for a while and other methods of drying would be more efficient and quicker.
-John C.

KevinC
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Another vote for the water blade. I have some of the hardest water on the planet here, and NEVER have a problem with spots because I blade off the water immediately, then dry with normal terry cloths. Never had an issue with the blade damaging the paint in any way, you just have to be sure it's kept clean-clean-clean and you'll be fine. One of the best car detailing inventions ever.

wuilman
06-27-2006, 02:56 AM
call me old school but a chamoise is the only way to go for me. and i dont like the gimmick of the water blade (please dont flame me!) that and hand wash only. i dont care how tired i am but my car will never go through some machine, im sure most of you here agree with me.