PDA

View Full Version : scratch on bumper down to black plastic / need help, advice

JoeK
06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
My 2005 ci silver grey has two small scratches (about a 1/2 inch long and width of fingernail thin, each) on the front bumper, down to the black plastic though. :( The body shop wants $600 to do a "perfect job." 15 hours of labor is listed. Seems like a lot, and I'm wondering if they're doing more harm than good my over-repairing the situation. I read posts on fixing scrathes with touch-up paint that is down to the primer (not plastic though). Will touch-up work when applied directly over the black plastic? How many coats needed to do the job? Will it be almost unnoticeable? I'd probably use the Lanka stuff that is mentioned in some posts as I'd be petrified to sand it. I am almost tempted to just leave it alone, but I know it will bother the heck out of me every time I see it. Should I pony up the money (the $600), do something myself, or tell the body guy to do some less aggressive touch-up job?? Help appreciated!

dboy11
06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
My 2005 ci silver grey has two small scratches (about a 1/2 inch long and width of fingernail thin, each) on the front bumper, down to the black plastic though. :( The body shop wants $600 to do a "perfect job." 15 hours of labor is listed. Seems like a lot, and I'm wondering if they're doing more harm than good my over-repairing the situation. I read posts on fixing scrathes with touch-up paint that is down to the primer (not plastic though). Will touch-up work when applied directly over the black plastic? How many coats needed to do the job? Will it be almost unnoticeable? I'd probably use the Lanka stuff that is mentioned in some posts as I'd be petrified to sand it. I am almost tempted to just leave it alone, but I know it will bother the heck out of me every time I see it. Should I pony up the money (the $600), do something myself, or tell the body guy to do some less aggressive touch-up job?? Help appreciated!

Because you are all the way to the plastic fixing this with some touch paint will not work...you have to re-prime that area then base coat...car color the clear over it to make it look right....however not is all lost...call your local dealership or the higher end used car lots and ask who they use for bumper repair....there is a real good chance that they have a mobile guy that comes out and works on there trade-ins...here in my area is a guy that works on cars and he worked on my 540 before I brought from the lot....you would be hard pressed to see the scratch

JoeK
06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Because you are all the way to the plastic fixing this with some touch paint will not work...you have to re-prime that area then base coat...car color the clear over it to make it look right....however not is all lost...call your local dealership or the higher end used car lots and ask who they use for bumper repair....there is a real good chance that they have a mobile guy that comes out and works on there trade-ins...here in my area is a guy that works on cars and he worked on my 540 before I brought from the lot....you would be hard pressed to see the scratch

How much do you guess this type of repair would cost?

dboy11
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
How much do you guess this type of repair would cost?

It greatly depends on your area but here $200 or there abouts...much cheaper than a body shop