PDA

View Full Version : How much Dawn?

jds
06-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Using your typical bucket, how much Dawn do you use? Trying to get an idea here because I'm guessing if you use too much it'll be a pain in the ass to rinse off. I don't want to use too little though...

Desertnate
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Using your typical bucket, how much Dawn do you use? Trying to get an idea here because I'm guessing if you use too much it'll be a pain in the ass to rinse off. I don't want to use too little though...

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but I just eyeball it. I use a 1.5 gallon bucket and I usually use a golf ball to tennis ball sized spot on the bottom of the bucket. If you notice the water seems too soapy, just use more water while rinsing. Washing only one body pannel at a time helps, because it allows you to adjust to the conditions rather than soaping up the entire car and realizing you have a problem.

You are just using Dawn to strip the wax, right?

jds
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM
That helps. And yea, I'm going to strip the wax and get a coat on for the summer. Gotta order up some more Zaino.

Thanks

marc545i
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
I've read that Dawn isn't good for the car. Any particular reason why you're not using a regular car soap?

Desertnate
06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I've read that Dawn isn't good for the car. Any particular reason why you're not using a regular car soap?

This was debated here before. Dawn might be a problem if you use it frequently or as your primary car soap. Two or three times a year shouldn't be a big deal.

Dawn or other dish soaps strip the wax off a car much quicker and easier than using regular car soap.

jvr826
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I went the dawn route once, have skipped it since. Honestly it didn't seem to strip all the wax off anyway, the car still had beads when I rinsed it off.

Pre-wax cleaners like AIO and the Zaino equivalent are supposed to strip off the old stuff. Last time I did my car I used a machine polish, then AIO, then carnuba.

That said, dawn is OK as stated for occasional use. It strips wax and oils, but you are putting them right back on anyway. I think it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

picus
06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Dawn won't remove sealants and has a hard time with many waxes. You're better off using a chemical cleaner or simple alcohol and water mix (50:50), spray on/wipe off.

dboy11
06-22-2006, 08:37 AM
The debate over what Dawn will do to a car???....dish soap is designed to cut grease....waxes / sealants are oil based products this includes Zaino and Klasse...the rubber on your car contains natural oils.....Dish soap on a regular or one use will strip the surface oils off the rubber and can lead to cracking with more regular use....so my recommendations is that you use a dedicated car soap for washing your car to start with.....If you are looking to take the old wax off the best is clay along with the benefits is that clay is also taking off a bunch of other surface contaminates and getting your clear coat ready for the new product. FK1 Car Kare has a decontamination kit that will do this as well and not hurt the rubbers

To answer some that didn't seem to think that dish soap stripped the wax or sealants off their car....the fact that you car still beads up is no indication that there is still wax on the car....your clear coat will bead water.

Kelso
06-26-2006, 08:15 AM
:mad: dish soap is for the kitchen. if you want to strip the wax for a sealant then please use the alcohol water method because it is safer and does a better job. never use damn on your car , and please stop telling people on other forums to do it.

BmW745On19's
06-26-2006, 09:54 AM
:mad: dish soap is for the kitchen. if you want to strip the wax for a sealant then please use the alcohol water method because it is safer and does a better job. never use damn on your car , and please stop telling people on other forums to do it.
I will suggest to other forum members to use dawn if I want to! It's their final decision whether they want to listen to me or not.

It's not like we're telling to them use it every time they wash their car, just before they wax though.

yougotit
06-26-2006, 11:20 AM
lmao, use as much as you want...**** it is cheap

hawk123
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Does one need to strip out the old sealent only to reapply the same?. Does not the sealent wear out over a period of time?. I would think, you would apply AIO and SG every six months after a good wash. I am a novice and hence the question.

dboy11
06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Does one need to strip out the old sealant only to reapply the same?. Does not the sealant wear out over a period of time?. I would think, you would apply AIO and SG every six months after a good wash. I am a novice and hence the question.

a sealant will wear off the car over time depending on weather and storage conditions....6 months is a bit of as stretch if you ask me...about 3 months is closer to it....paste wax is about a month its really soft is the reason for that...if you use dish soap you are taking all the protection off the car waxes and sealants are oil based products and dish soap is a degreaser its pretty simple to understand that

stream
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Don't use any detergent on your car. It strips the wax, and all surface oils, from the paint and rubber. Even when you reapply wax, there are parts that you can't reach, and you'll have removed their protective surface oils. Plus you're drying out the external rubber surfaces.

Artslinger
06-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Don't use any detergent on your car. It strips the wax, and all surface oils, from the paint and rubber. Even when you reapply wax, there are parts that you can't reach, and you'll have removed their protective surface oils. Plus you're drying out the external rubber surfaces.

I agree, especially on an older car it could do damage, like causing cracking to the exterior rubber parts.

BmW745On19's
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
It's recommended by Zaino to use Dawn as a wash prior to applying Zaino just for that reason, to strip off the wax and remove all the oils from the paint.

Kelso
06-27-2006, 08:39 PM
zaino is the only ones i have ever heard of recomending to do it and then it started to spread and i have seen people on other forums recommending to wash with dish soap as there normal wash. and it really doesnt do it safely, and there are mor effective ways. but if you keep suggesting dish soap to people, they will listen and do it. most people arent going to do research or anything once somebody tells them a way to clean... it just annoys me because its not a safe way to clean your vehicle and i would never do it, even once

sponge_worthy
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
zaino is the only ones i have ever heard of recomending to do it and then it started to spread and i have seen people on other forums recommending to wash with dish soap as there normal wash. and it really doesnt do it safely, and there are mor effective ways. but if you keep suggesting dish soap to people, they will listen and do it. most people arent going to do research or anything once somebody tells them a way to clean... it just annoys me because its not a safe way to clean your vehicle and i would never do it, even once

So what do you recommend?

Test_Engineer
06-27-2006, 11:04 PM
um...Alcohol will be just as harsh to the oils in rubber as dawn. As long as you rinse both well, and wipe down the seals, there should be no problem using it 2 or 3 times a year. :dunno:

BmW745On19's
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
No no no, I'm not saying use it as an every-wash liquid, for that use Zaino wash liquid or Zymol, that stuff is good for your car's paint and won't hurt it since they're PH-Balanced yet they'll get the crap off your car.

Artslinger
06-28-2006, 07:02 AM
I would use something like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21S Paintwork Cleaner to remove any old wax or sealants. If you care enough about your car to use expensive detail products, why use a questionable detailing step like dish detergent?

http://www.properautocare.com/remexwaxorse.html

nelsonpuzon
07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Dont use DAWN!!! Its a car, not the dishes. Use ADAMS PRODUCTS!!! Go to www.whipappeal.net if you want to see how to really clean your car.
Go to the gallery and check out some of the before and after stuff
Dawn will make the car spotty and you'll end up having to do more work than you need to.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/

1)WASH IT! (Adams car wash) ooh it smells good and it works
2)CLAY IT! ( Adams Clay Bar with detail spray for lubrication)
3)POLISH IT! (Adams Polish)
4)WAX IT! (Adams Butter Wax)
5) GLAZE IT! (Adams Brilliant Spray glaze)
or
Let www.whipappeal.net do it for you!!! OC CALIFORNIA STYLE

nelsonpuzon
07-02-2006, 11:33 PM
The Best detailer in THE OC contact Neil
WWW.Whipappeal.net
ADAMS Polishes are in my opinion one of the best products.... Better than Mcguires!!!!