PDA

View Full Version : Llumar instead of Huper Optik?

bmwexecutive
06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
As some of you might know, I had problems (related to install) with the Huper Optik tint I had installed on my car about a month ago and since haven't had time to take it back to get the tint removed and get my money back, but I was considering going with Llumar instead of the Huper Optik for this next time around. What do you guys think? Would it be a bad move? Is Llumar not that good? The reason I was thinking about going with Llumar is because there is a tint place that's close to my house that installs Llumar and my local BMW dealership recommended them to me as they do a bunch of BMWs.

So do you think I'm making a mistake going with Llumar or is it a good tint?

vortex72
06-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I had Llumar installed about a year ago on my e90. It was installed flawless and the shop i used charged 180bucks installed and gives a lifetime warranty. I recently noticed a microscopic chip on the tint(drivers side window) I'm sure its my fault from letting the seatbelt crack violently against the window trying to get out in a hurry :mad: So small I cant even notice it unless I obsessively look for it:rofl:

Dont be too obsessive, enjoy the car, nothing mechanical is perfect :angel:

Anyway back to the question. The tint looks great. I had posted some pics of my car awhile back with tint, you might be able to find them with search. It has a very deep look to it and it certainly looks factory quality. Only mistake I made was getting 15%. My interior is black and 15% is kinda dark. 35% is best for a dark interior unless you want the batmobile look

schley
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
I got llumar llumastar installed last fall and it has worked fine in terms of not interferring with satellite radio and navigation. I actually have the darker tint and I have gotten used to it. I have black leather as well as black sapphire car color and I personally like the combo. I would probably like a lighter tint as well so whichever you select the product itself has stood up great)

330ximd
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I remember all the crap you had to go through, go for the place they recommended, I also have a friend who got Llumar, it looks really nice as well. Best of luck.

5150fz
06-23-2006, 06:12 PM
I got llumar llumastar installed last fall and it has worked fine in terms of not interferring with satellite radio and navigation. I actually have the darker tint and I have gotten used to it. I have black leather as well as black sapphire car color and I personally like the combo. I would probably like a lighter tint as well so whichever you select the product itself has stood up great)
your tint looks great as does your car; i would like to see that silver trim blacked out...i think it would look twice as good!

bmwexecutive
06-24-2006, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the pics! That looks great!

schley
06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
your tint looks great as does your car; i would like to see that silver trim blacked out...i think it would look twice as good!

well thanks and if you want the black trim hopefully someone with a 325 will post their pictures on here as well.

schley
06-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the pics! That looks great!

Thanks, I hope your tint gets worked out, as tinting your new bmw is the #1 modification to perform in my opinion.

KevinC
06-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I've had Llumar on a couple of cars, it's good stuff. Might even have it on the 3 - had the dealer sub the tint before buying, no idea what was used, but was installed flawlessly and I have no reception issues or complaints of any kind. HU is great stuff, but perhaps overkill to some degree.

AZ330
06-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I had 35% H.O. installed on my 330 and really don't see any difference in heat rejection.
I'd say if they can guarantee no CA/Bluetooth/Nav interferance save the $$ and go with the LLumar :)

Davisjl
06-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I got llumar llumastar installed last fall and it has worked fine in terms of not interferring with satellite radio and navigation.

How would tinting your car have any effect on satellite radio or navigation?

gos
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
How would tinting your car have any effect on satellite radio or navigation?

Tints that have metal in them can act as a farraday cage around your antenna, preventing signal from getting from your fob to the antenna.

--gos

LDV330i
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
As some of you might know, I had problems (related to install) with the Huper Optik tint I had installed on my car about a month ago and since haven't had time to take it back to get the tint removed and get my money back, but I was considering going with Llumar instead of the Huper Optik for this next time around. What do you guys think? Would it be a bad move? Is Llumar not that good? The reason I was thinking about going with Llumar is because there is a tint place that's close to my house that installs Llumar and my local BMW dealership recommended them to me as they do a bunch of BMWs.

So do you think I'm making a mistake going with Llumar or is it a good tint?Since you have CA you really need to stay away from metallic tint. The "other" ceramic tint you should consider is FormulaOne (a sister brand to Llumar, owned by CPFilms) Pinnacle. The installer for Tampa Bay is in Clearwater. I have 2 friends who went with Pinnacle and are happy with their install.

Sun Proof Corp. of Florida
1009 Court Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
Phone: 727/446-1732

Davisjl
06-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Tints that have metal in them can act as a farraday cage around your antenna, preventing signal from getting from your fob to the antenna.

--gos

Yeah ... I understand that for CA, but they were saying Satellite and Navi which has an exterior antenna. How would tinting your car affect Satellite radio or GPS via the external antenna?

bmwexecutive
06-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Since you have CA you really need to stay away from metallic tint. The "other" ceramic tint you should consider is FormulaOne (a sister brand to Llumar, owned by CPFilms) Pinnacle. The installer for Tampa Bay is in Clearwater. I have 2 friends who went with Pinnacle and are happy with their install.

Is Llumar a metallic tint then? Would it really mess with my Comfort Access? I just called SunProof. Corp and they don't seem all that professional given what I have to go by (the guy who answered the phone). They don't have a website either and when I asked how they cut their tint they said they do not do computer cut like Nu Shine (the Llumar guys).

So would you recommend againest Llumar? I want it because the installer seems to be top notch and I can almost be guarenteed a good job but if it's going to mess with CA, I'm out.

LDV330i
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Is Llumar a metallic tint then? Would it really mess with my Comfort Access? I just called SunProof. Corp and they don't seem all that professional given what I have to go by (the guy who answered the phone). They don't have a website either and when I asked how they cut their tint they said they do not do computer cut like Nu Shine (the Llumar guys).

So would you recommend againest Llumar? I want it because the installer seems to be top notch and I can almost be guarenteed a good job but if it's going to mess with CA, I'm out.From the Llumar website:

LLumar window film is a laminate of high performance metallized polyester film that provides significant solar insulation when applied to glass surfaces. LLumar
films are manufactured using a state of the art sputtering process that applies metal alloys to a base film. Layers are assembled and finished with a strong scratch-resistant coating

If you did not get a good feel about the Clearwater folks you may need to go across the Skyway to:

Formula One of Bradenton
5927 14th Street West
Bradenton, FL 34207
Phone: 941/756-2560

or up I-4 to:

JC's Customs
1111 6th Street SW
Winter Haven, FL 33880
Phone: 941/293-5555

bmwexecutive
06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
From the Llumar website:

If you did not get a good feel about the Clearwater folks you may need to go across the Skyway to:

or up I-4 to:

Thanks for the info! The Formula One of Bradenton guys gave me a good vibe. They work on a lot of BMWs, they seem to know their stuff well, the tint is computer cut and they install the tint in an air conditioned controlled enviorment. Sounds good to me. So I set it up for next week and it's going to cost $269 which is for the Pinnacle series 35% all the way around. It's going to be about an hour drive (50 miles) each way but it should be worth it.

One thing I didn't quite understand is that they said it will only take an hour to install. Seems mighty fast. The HO guy took nearly 4 hours.

LDV330i
06-29-2006, 04:30 PM
One thing I didn't quite understand is that they said it will only take an hour to install. Seems mighty fast. The HO guy took nearly 4 hours.Base on info on HO Europe website I had budgeted about 3 hours for my install. I dropped of my car and went to the gym. An hour later I received a call that my car was ready. :eeps: All the way back to the installer I was concerned that he probably had done a crappy job. Over 2 years later no complaints. I guess some are better/faster than others.

If you are not familiar with the area where the installer is located, you will be in the DeSoto Square Mall area so I am sure you will find something to keep you entertained for an hour or 2. :D

Sounds like you are getting a good deal on the Pinnacle. I was quoted and other friends paid $500.

bmwexecutive
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Base on info on HO Europe website I had budgeted about 3 hours for my install. I dropped of my car and went to the gym. An hour later I received a call that my car was ready. :eeps: All the way back to the installer I was concerned that he probably had done a crappy job. Over 2 years later no complaints. I guess some are better/faster than others.

If you are not familiar with the area where the installer is located, you will be in the DeSoto Square Mall area so I am sure you will find something to keep you entertained for an hour or 2. :D

Sounds like you are getting a good deal on the Pinnacle. I was quoted and other friends paid $500.

Thanks for the info! Is the DeSoto Square Mall within walking distance of the place or would I have to take a cab there? If it's an hour I figured I'd just wait in their lobby or something. But if it's on the same grounds as the mall I might have to take a stroll. :)

AComp
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Good luck with your F1! I am totally pleased with mine.
I had mine installed 2 days after the PCD, and have no complaints or issues.

I remember having a few small streaks right after the install. I was told that was temporary & normal. They disappeared after it dried, and it looks very nice.
No scratches or hairs!:thumbup: :rofl:

BTW, the 35% looks great with the SG - IMO.

LDV330i
06-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info! Is the DeSoto Square Mall within walking distance of the place or would I have to take a cab there? If it's an hour I figured I'd just wait in their lobby or something. But if it's on the same grounds as the mall I might have to take a stroll. :)You may want to make your install coincide with a late breakfast or early lunch. :yumyum:

I lived in Sarasota (Southern Manatee county) for 5 years until 98 (and prior to that in St. Pete) so DeSoto Square Mall area was not an area I went to frequently so my memory is a little fuzzy. :tsk: The mall proper will be about 6 blocks away. There are a few restaurants closer to tint shop. Click here for a Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=5927+14th+Street,+West+Bradenton,+FL)of the location, do a search on restaurants and you will see what is in the immediate area.

bmwexecutive
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
You may want to make your install coincide with a late breakfast or early lunch. :yumyum:

I lived in Sarasota (Southern Manatee county) for 5 years until 98 (and prior to that in St. Pete) so DeSoto Square Mall area was not an area I went to frequently so my memory is a little fuzzy. :tsk: The mall proper will be about 6 blocks away. There are a few restaurants closer to tint shop. Click here for a Google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=5927+14th+Street,+West+Bradenton,+FL)of the location, do a search on restaurants and you will see what is in the immediate area.

Well, I went there today. The drive took me just over 1 hour and I had to pay the $1 toll at the Sunshine Skyway bridge (each way). Yeah, only problem was that I got there 20 minutes late due to traffic and they refused to take me because they had other cars coming in and only takes cars on the hour (they install the tint in one hour). So after offering the freakin' guys $50, then $100 to bump someone off to take me today didn't work I drove the 65 miles back home.

The only good that came out of it was the fact it looked like a good tinting shop. It seemed like a cheap shack from the outside but inside it was nice and clean and in a controlled enviorment where they do the tinting. Not as clean as a paint booth, but it was plenty clean.

So I'm rescheduled for Friday at 1PM. I'll be there 30 minutes early and if for any reason they cancel on me again I'm going to kill someone. Roughly 3 hours of my time and $20 was blown today.

bmwexecutive
07-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Got the tint installed today! I was 20 minutes late again due to traffic (that's something I can't control) but under the circumstances they did it anyway. Because my old HO tint had to be removed too, it took them about 4 hours in total --- I was there from 2:30PM until 6:30PM but went and ate at Sonic and saw the movie "Click" (in digital projection too --- new theater) so that passed the time by. Well, it was more like 2 1/2 hours working on the car because the other hour and a half they were doing other things. Anyway, from what I saw it was about 20x better than Dexter Bayack's install from Creative Carz in Tampa that did the Huper Optik on my car about a month ago. Here's why:

1. It was in a controlled enviroment (air conditioned, well lit room with all doors shut).
2. They understood about my cleanliness obession and had no problem with me putting down towels throughout (not like they had a choice anyway).
3. They used some kind of air pressurised water spray guns to get the soap and water on the window. This was much better than the spray bottle that was used for the HO because a spray bottle sprays overspray everywhere (on the seat and stuff) and the spray gun they used directed the soap and water right onto the windows with no overspray (except in the rear window which is entirely unavoidable). Ever more of a reason it was great is because the soapy water didn't run down the window and down into the window controls like a spray bottle lets happen.
4. They also were very clean about the install and left very few water marks on the inside (although I Zaino'd the doors and spot near the rear window anyway being the clean freak I am). Compared to the HO install, it was like a waterfall versus a trickle.
5. They acted very professional and seemed to know what they were doing.
6. They also had a nice small lobby where I could sit and wait and it was right at my prefered tempeture --- like 69 degrees.
6. I can't stress enough how clean everything was. It was great. :)

Bottom line, they did a really great job, the tint looks fantastic and it was well worth the trouble involved! There are quite a few air bubbles throughout but I know those will go away because for one there is no hair in it (THANK GOD!) and just over the course of the past two hours of my car sitting in the garage already half of them have disappeared.

bmwexecutive
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
You may want to make your install coincide with a late breakfast or early lunch. :yumyum:

BTW: LDV330i, thanks for talking me out of going with the Llumar. The FormulaOne Pinnacle is so much nicer. Albiet, so much more expensive at the same time. :rofl:

Left with a $430.26 bill. Although, I did get an Aqua--something window treatment for 25 bucks which is put on the windshield and makes water bead better. Worked OK on the way home through the rain, but definetly not a windshield wiper replacement as one of the guy's there was saying. I also get $375 back from the HO guy next week so the Pinnacle costed me $30.26 more. It would have costed me $69.74 LESS but I had to pay $100 to get the HO removed because after I set more than 3 appointments with Dexter to remove the HO he put on and every time he canceled on me for one reason or another, I figured he was just never planning on taking it off in the first place. And if he refuses to refund me like he said he would, he'll get a court order from the local Sherrif sometime next week. ;)

KevinC
07-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Although, I did get an Aqua--something window treatment for 25 bucks which is put on the windshield and makes water bead better.

I can't believe you fell for that snake oil crap. It's like the $500 "protection" package for your paint the new car stealership will gladly sell you - no better than a bottle of $5 crap from Pep Boys. Likewise this miracle windshield treatment you got soaked on (pardon the expression) is nothing more than a $2 bottle of Rain-X would do for you. I'd have been pissed off if these guys had even suggested this - it's an insult to your intelligence. :thumbdwn:

LDV330i
07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
BTW: LDV330i, thanks for talking me out of going with the Llumar. The FormulaOne Pinnacle is so much nicer. Albiet, so much more expensive at the same time. :rofl:
I am glad it finally all worked out for you and you truly got a professional installation. For the kind of money you were dishing it should have never been any less.

I am sure you would have been equally happy with HO had you had a good installation. The installer's skill is in many ways is more important than the film you choose. I am still amazed that people get acceptable jobs when they have their tint installed in their office parking garage, at home, etc. As you learned the hard way how critical is to have a virtual "clean room" environment to minimize any issues with the install.

Can't believe you kept having traffic problems during late morning. All the standard bottlenecks should have cleared up by then. :dunno:

OK, so you owe me one. My brother lives in Lithia so I go to Tampa Bay every once in a while. So do I get to drive your upcoming new M3? :D

bim530mer
07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Glad that you had it professionally done to your likes. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Just curious, have you had the front windscreen tinted as well?