PDA

View Full Version : I waxed half a wheel today...

KrisL
06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I want to see how much of a difference it really makes in brake dust accumulation and cleaning... so I waxed half a wheel! The wheels are brand new (2000 miles on them?) and have never been waxed before.

I marked the "borders" on the top and the bottom with some painter's tape. :)

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/54254-2/wax.jpg

Expect results in ~ a week!

Bill-SD
06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
My quess is no difference. My experience is the "little" bit of difference wax makes isn't worth the effort. I've also tried Wheel Wax and totally unimpressed. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Jon Shafer
06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
My quess is no difference. My experience is the "little" bit of difference wax makes isn't worth the effort. I've also tried Wheel Wax and totally unimpressed. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

This should be an interesting experiment. Leave it to Kris... :)

Hey Bill.

:wave:

///M3lissa
06-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Cool :thumbup:

What kind of wax are you using for the test?

IIRC there was a guy here about a year ago that did the same thing...he tested synthetics vs. carnuaba on the wheel.

KrisL
06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Cool :thumbup:

What kind of wax are you using for the test?

IIRC there was a guy here about a year ago that did the same thing...he tested synthetics vs. carnuaba on the wheel.

Meguiar's tech wax of course.

MMME30W
06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
: popcorn:

picus
06-24-2006, 08:55 AM
My guess is very little difference. Regular waxes/sealants have much too low of a metling temperature to adequatley protect on a wheel. Try some wheel sealant and my guess would change to "noticable difference in brake dust accumulation and cleaning ease".

hawk123
06-24-2006, 08:59 AM
My guess is very little difference. Regular waxes/sealants have much too low of a metling temperature to adequatley protect on a wheel. Try some wheel sealant and my guess would change to "noticable difference in brake dust accumulation and cleaning ease".
I used Klasse AIO and SG and it works great. Not too much build up and the brakedust comes off easily with a duster.

dboy11
06-24-2006, 09:01 AM

My thoughts to the T on this, the wax that you have applied is going to melt off in a few miles as the wheel gets hot....what you need is a high temp sealant to help reduce the brake dust build-up.....Here is the one that I use from Poorboys World

stream
06-25-2006, 09:23 AM
As other have mentioned, all traditional waxes and most synthetics will melt away after a few minutes of braking.

I've used RejeX for a few years, with great results. First used it for exhaust tips, to reduce yellowing and black carbon build up. Does a good job of minimizing brake dust build up (nothing will eliminate it). Also great for reducing bug splats on the windshield. For all 3 applications, it makes removal of what does build up very easy.

It was originally developed for the US military for high temp applications, so holds up very well on wheels and exhaust tips. Be sure to follow the application instructions--apply to a cool surface and allow to cure for 12 hours:
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

I'll admit lately I haven't bothered with applying to the wheels. Get yourself a California mini duster (for use exclusively on the wheels). Once a week I dust them--takes 5 minutes.
http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1021&cid=101

picus
06-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I used Klasse AIO and SG and it works great. Not too much build up and the brakedust comes off easily with a duster.

I've used AIO before too and it seems to work reasonably well. AIO and SG are pretty sturdy sealants though. I shouldn't have lumped both waxes and paint sealants in when I said it wouldn't make any difference. I would venture to guess (I think rightly so) that a sealant will be more durable on a wheel than a wax. Waxes have been known to melt in high temperatures on paint, so on a wheel I don't think they stand much chance of surviving. On sealants, I can see it having some difference, but I still contend you'll see even better results with a high-temp wheel sealant.

The way I look at it is I get about 50 applications out of a tub of poorboys wheel sealant, a product that is made for the job that I get great results from. I guess since I use it on customer cars it makes more sense for me, but I think it's a worthwhile $20 for anyone really.

BillP
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
So, where are the results of this VERY interesting experiment?

Cheers,
Bill

KrisL
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
So, where are the results of this VERY interesting experiment?

Cheers,
Bill

If I remember I'll take pictures tonight.

I notice no difference. I'll also spray the wheel down with water and see if the waxed half washes easier...

jaro
07-04-2006, 09:54 AM
boys...if you want to apply protection for your wheels do not use regular wax...i've used Rejex on my cayenne in the past now on the 6-er....great results...this stuff was manufactured for the military and the helicopters exauhst parts to keep crap of of them....it is extremly heat resistant...I use it also instead of Zaino on my paint....required curing time of about 12 hours in a garage for best results....

Bill-SD
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
You got my interest... Where do you buy Rejex?

Excitmnt94
07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
results?

stream
07-05-2006, 09:18 AM
You got my interest... Where do you buy Rejex?

See my post above.

jaro
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
stream got it right...there are some good sources for Rejex all over. I love this stuff! Some say it is better than Zaino...
works good on exhaust tips as well....some references from my old buds on rennlist.com http://cayenne.rennlist.com/cayenne/forum.htm

rejexusa.com is where you want to buy it....

jaro
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
more good stuff on Rejex
http://cayenne.rennlist.com/cayenne/forum.htm

jaro
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
correction: Stream got it right...the previous site is no longer valid...http://corrosionxproducts.com/rejexpage.htm is the page now..

KrisL
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Finally... the results!

I took the car out of the garage after driving approx 300 miles... here's what the wheel looked like:

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/54509-4/wheelwax1.jpg

The waxed half looks a little dirtier! Odd.... I took out the hose and sprayed the wheels down (with water only):

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/54512-4/wheelwax2.jpg

A closeup...

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/54515-4/wheelwax3.jpg

I had to double and triple-check the tape that I put on the inside of the rim indicating which half was waxed. There is no doubt that the waxed half has MORE brake dust on it!!!

I must say, I was quite surprised by the results! No wheel waxing for me.

Bill-SD
07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
See my post above.

Dud...I guess I should read a little closer huh??? :)

SmoothCruise
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Finally... the results!

I did this experiment too about a year ago, and I found no difference. I didn't get more dust on the wax side, I just didn't see much of a difference. When it came to cleaning my wheels, I "felt" no difference either. The wax and non-wax side had the same degree of ease/difficulty in cleaning. I tried this experiment with WheelWax which is meant for your rims. I also tried it with a carnauba wax meant for your car panels. I got the same results. Bottom line for me is waxing your wheels is simply not worth it.

Also, I found that soap, water, and a wash mitt is sufficient enough to clean your rims. You don't need to pull out a specialized rim cleaning gadget and use specialized rim cleaning fluid. You might want to use the latter perhaps a few times a year, but in between a full detail, soap, water and a wash mitt will do --at least for me.

The only thing I found that significantly reduces brake dust is longer lighter braking, instead of shorter, harder braking.

Anyways, thanks for the pics. The wax side at least beads. So people with a trained eye for carnauba wax will greatly appreciate the work you put into it. I definitely appreciate the time you put in to post pics and write up a good review.

jaro
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
well, try Rejex and then let's talk....rejex is a polymer...not wax....stuff slides off...u can even put it on windows and some use it on shower glass....try it and u will thank me

BmW745On19's
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Kris, do another wheel w/ half zaino, half non zainoed and see what happens.:thumbup:

KrisL
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Kris, do another wheel w/ half zaino, half non zainoed and see what happens.:thumbup:

I suspect it wouldn't be much different. The NXT is a fully synthetic polymer just like zaino...

jaro
07-06-2006, 10:21 PM
zaino=you pay for the name
rejex= you pay for lesser name but better results....
i like Polo Ralph Lauren clothing....will I pay a full price for their latest crap...maybe....if it is really cool....most of the time I'll go to the outlet mall...come on guys...try Rejex...I'm the guy who would never valet his car....I'm the one who yells at the bastards at the detail shop if they do s...t incorrectly....there are fanatics and there are those who are sort of like me in the middle.....

SmoothCruise
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I'll try out rejex, but the name really needs to be changed.

But some questions first:

How does Rejex work in the winter? It works great in the summer, but what about the winter? So, let me get this right, I can use it on my chrome exhaust tips? Does it stain trim?

joe joe
07-07-2006, 02:03 AM
will try rejex!........ a little less brake dust to clean would be nice! :thumbup:

jaro
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
works fine in winter
all metal and glass and chrome areas are ok
just use as instructed
don't get smart and fancy...this is advanced stuff..just becasue they did not market as hard as zaino does not make it a bad product....

Griffoun
07-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Found this on the Corvette forum... it's a discussion about Rejex's durability. Any comments?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226061&forum_id=10

jaro
07-07-2006, 11:35 AM
WELL, did not see a mention of this dude putting the car in the garage for 12 hours to let this stuff cure. It is an important step. Never had issues with bug splatter. In fact I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis for the F1 GP and applied a bit of it on the front of the car. No issues with the bugs coming off although sinc eit was hot and m car is black some of that stuff did bake on...no issues removing with just wet MF towell and water...remember that Chevy paint is a POS...do not compare it to Bimmer's quality

picus
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Rejex is a good idea, as is *any* specifically designed wheel sealant. Remember guys, waxing a wheel with a wax/sealant designed for paint is probobably not going to do anything other than attract dust. Why? The sealant or wax will melt and dust will stick to it. A dedicated wheel sealant like wheelwax (the name implies wax, it's a sealant) or poorboys wheel sealant will do a much better job. I promise. In fact I promise so much if it doesn't I'll buy it for you. God knows I will use it. :)

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/pbstack2.jpg

stream
07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Rejex is a good idea, as is *any* specifically designed wheel sealant. Remember guys, waxing a wheel with a wax/sealant designed for paint is probobably not going to do anything other than attract dust. Why? The sealant or wax will melt and dust will stick to it. A dedicated wheel sealant like wheelwax (the name implies wax, it's a sealant) or poorboys wheel sealant will do a much better job. I promise. In fact I promise so much if it doesn't I'll buy it for you. God knows I will use it. :)

Wheelwax also contains carnauba wax, so it's more of a hybrid sealant/wax. After the wheels heat up, the carnauba will melt off. And the fact that it's blended with the sealant likely reduces the durability of the sealant. Don't know why they include carnauba.

http://www.wheelwax.com/faq.html

Q - Is WheelWax safe for my clear coated wheels and how is WheelWax different from other wheel polish?
A - Yes, WheelWax is clear coat safe and has a clear coat sealer to protect from cracking. WheelWax is not a polish, it is a cleaner and wax that is formulated with space age polymers and resins, heat resistant sealant and carnuba wax, which provides the ultimate protection for wheels.

Bill-SD
07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
WheelWax is crap. That's one of the few products I actually threw away after trying it a couple times. "Space age polymers" WTF???

picus
07-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't know why they include carnauba also, probably marketing. Either way, it's designed to stand up to the high temps. I perfer poorboys wheel sealant (obviously :) ). I've put it on probably 500 cars without an issue.

BmW745On19's
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
WheelWax is crap. That's one of the few products I actually threw away after trying it a couple times. "Space age polymers" WTF???
:stupid:

Yeah, they act like they wax the space shuttle with that stuff or something.:rofl:

jaro
07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
yo, Rejex is very heat resistant...someone told me ones what the name of Rejex was in the Army/Navy/Air force...it has worked for me just fine...follow instructions..use it on paint...u will love it...i want to hear from those of you who have decided to give it a try...

KrisL
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
yo, Rejex is very heat resistant...someone told me ones what the name of Rejex was in the Army/Navy/Air force...it has worked for me just fine...follow instructions..use it on paint...u will love it...i want to hear from those of you who have decided to give it a try...

Send me a little bit and I'll re-do the wheel experiment with it :)... I'll use a different wheel, which has never had anything but carwash on it.

jdiehl
07-22-2006, 04:03 PM
"Space age polymers" WTF???

hehe. Didn't the "space age" start in 1957 when the Russians launched Sputnik? That term is hardly relevant or impressive anymore. I'm still boggled why marketing departments still insist on using it.

icemanjs4
07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Send me a little bit and I'll re-do the wheel experiment with it :)... I'll use a different wheel, which has never had anything but carwash on it.

KrisL,

If you're being scientific about it, can you do one wheel with half Rejex, and another wheel with half Zaino? Make sure you do at least 2 coats of each too - just to ensure good coverage. I think we'd all love to see it. Thanks for doing the experiment in the first place.

And yeah, I know NXT is good stuff - but since 50% here use Zaino - it would be a good study (heck using Klasse on the 3rd wheel would round out the picture :-)

KrisL
07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
KrisL,

If you're being scientific about it, can you do one wheel with half Rejex, and another wheel with half Zaino? Make sure you do at least 2 coats of each too - just to ensure good coverage. I think we'd all love to see it. Thanks for doing the experiment in the first place.

Yes, I'd love to. I've got some Zaino here (although it's like 2 years old.. don't know if that matters). Who wants to send me a little bit of Rejex?

editwizard
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
I just bought a 2001 330i and one of the gorgeous rims is just riddled with dark brown brake dust - I mean REALLY caked on there so thick - so bad that it will not budge with several different so-called 'no scrub' brake dust 'dissolving' sprays. I've tried full strength simple green and something from Eagle I think.

I can take my key and scrape a bit of it off but obviously this isn't going to be good for the wheel. I've tried 3 different brushes of varying strength and it just sits there, laughing, taunting me. I'm thinking about even trying a small plastic paint scraper!?

Anyone have any tips for getting this gunk off?
Help!:yikes:

picus
08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Are they aluminum or chrome? If not, grab some Megauirs Wheel Brightener, dillute 2:1, spray on and let sit 45 seconds, spray off. Apply a second time and this time agitate as needed, spray off. That'll do it.

editwizard
08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
They aren't aluminum or chrome - they are the silver painted (clearcoated I think) ///M rims that came OEM on the 330 as part of the sport pkg I think.

Do you know of a local auto store chain that might carry that Meguiar's Wheel Brightener? I saw I can order online a gallon for like $20 but it would be great to a) get a small bit to try it out first and b) not have to wait for the shipping! Seems all Pep Boys, Advance auto carry are the milder stuff.

Is this stuff better/stronger than P21S Gel?