PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Colorchip

Periwinkle
06-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Has anyone had experience with a paint chip repair system called "Dr. Colorchip"?

I see an ad in the June 2006 issue of Roundel magazine where it is claimed the product is "fool-proof' and will leave "No Blobs".

Z3Sandi
07-07-2006, 06:03 AM
I ordered some the other day. I've heard postive results. I'll let you know how it goes.

jordan2tre
07-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I ordered some too, will see how it goes.

dboy11
07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
This reminds me of the Langka system that I used....the results where OK on small chips but if you have allot of them its not going to blend them all...this also depends on the color of the paint, if its metallic and the size of the chip....I''ll be interested in how this system works

Z3Sandi
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I've tried Langka but was not impressed.

dboy11
07-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I've tried Langka but was not impressed.

I wasn't either

The best way that I have seen for repair of chips is get the stock paint, 3000 grit sand paper, real good artist paint brushes and medium grade polish....a halogen light helps to speed up the drying process and better to see the surface...a heat gun is also useful if you don't have a light

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol and make sure that the chip is clean of anything...then blob the paint into the chip and dry...repeat until you have the blob above the surface of the clear coat like a bump...make real sure that its dry...then with water and the sand paper gentle rub that area until it is level with the clear...then use the polish to take the sand paper marks away...I've done this tons of times with great results

BMW Detailer
07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Have tried Drcolorchip touch up on two cars- jet black, and topaz blue. It worked great on the road chips to the point where I couldn't see most of them at all unless I really looked. The black car had thousands of chips- the white speckle across the nose and Q-panels. I'd say about 95 percent were not visible afterward. Since you can remove the excess paint, you get the clean finish. I painted two big chips about 1/5" in diameter- could still see them if you looked, but were much improved. Tried painting a few scratches on both cars. The deeper ones held paint and looked good. The lighter ones didn't hold it. I think wetsanding would have worked better, but I don't think their paint is really made for scratches anyway. But for chips, I was very satisfied. Paint came in a cool box- my girl wanted to use it for her jewlry.