PDA

View Full Version : Zaino newbie...need advise.

nhhiep
06-27-2006, 07:55 PM
First of all, I need to say that I am completely new to detailing and my e90 is only 4 months old. I have been using NTX for a few months, only apply 1 layer once/month, so far, kinda happy with the result, But the problem is that I am sick of waxing monthly, So I just got Zaino z2-pro on my way, only because I needed z9,10. I basically want something that last long, I don't care much about the look, protection is all I am after for.

Now, my question is if I Dawn my car to remove NTX, then apply 1 layer of z2-Pro, then after that, I will do 1 layer every 2-3 months? I normally don't use Dawn to wash my car, use car wash product. Is this enough for protection?

honestly, I don't like waxing much, rather driving, I won't have time to do multiple layers. and I am trying to stay away from claying, I am new, so I just don't want to mess up. I heard that if I clay not correctly, I can scatch the paint.

thanks for your advice

thebigbr
06-27-2006, 10:52 PM
in the same situation....:eeps:

Rsavory
06-28-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't know anything about Zaino. I use Meguiars products. But I do know that claying your car is easy and will not damage your paint if you use the mild stuff such as Mothers or Clay Magic. The clay will remove a lot of dirt that car wash and polish doesn't touch. Get a kit and try it out to see if you like it.

BTW, I use Meguiar NXT Tech Wax in paste form and have found that it lasts at least 4 months. Is this the same stuff that you were applying monthly?

Joe Schmoe
06-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Dawn and clay first, then apply Z2 with Z1 or ZFX. I would apply two or three layers during your first application.

After that, you should only need to apply Z2 every 2-3 months. Zaino is one of the most durable waxes out there, I have gone four months between applications and it hardly seemed to wear off at all during that time.

graphicguy
07-13-2006, 09:16 AM
10 year Zaino user. I've used every product they've sold. Zaino has just updated most of their sealers/"waxes" within the last year.

First and foremost, this stuff isn't a cleaner. It won't cure major imperfections like deeper swirls, scratches, etc. It will only be as good as the finish will allow. One product, Z5, will fill-in minor swirl marks, but it may take a few coats to do it.

That said, Zaino is one of the most durable, wettest looking shines I've ever encountered (that includes p21, collinite, Meguiars, Mothers, and others). It's not a carnuba. It's a synthetic. Carnubas will give a mre "organic" shine, but they tend not to last as long as Zaino. Some people describe Zaino's shine as giving it a "wet" or "glassy" look. Some like it, some don't. For me, that's what I'm looking for.

Zaino looks best on darker and brighter colors like blues, reds, greens, greys, and of course, black. It will make metallics really "POP". Lighter colors (like pale blue & white) don't seem to get the same effect, but I'm not certain any wax/polymer will make those colors show the same depth as darker colors.

Lots has been said about the amount of work it takes to use Zaino products. That's mostly a myth. Matter of fact, Zaino is easy to use. Prep time is takes the most time, but you'd do the same for any in-depth detail, with any other product.

Zaino makes a lot of differernt products.

The minimum I would do to start would be as follows....

--Wash with blue Dawn (do this only once to strip away the "stuff" previously applied to your finish).
--Dry with a good microfiber (MF). 100% cotton towels still tend to have polyester threads on the borders and don't absorb as well as MF. tip....squirt some Z6 detailer spray over the wet surface as you dry the car....it will help in the prep to wax.
--use a shop vac or leaf blower to "blow out" the water in seams.
--"clay" the surface to smooth out and remove contaminants. Lubricate the surface with Z6 detailing spray, Rub the clay with light pressurs over the lubrcated surface (should take all of about 15 minutes to do the entire car).
--Use Zaino Z2+flash cure additive for your first application (use Z5+flash cure if you have minor swirls instead of Z2). Believe it or not, once ounce is the most you should use for your entire car (I've done an application with as little as a 1/2 ounce for a medium sized car). Key here is to apply very thin layers.
--Take an applicator (either the little ones that Zaino sends, or my preference, bigger MF applicators). Squirt 4-5 streams of Z6 detailer spray on the applicator and spread it all over the applicator's surface. This helps spreadability and to even out the application.
--spread a thin "star" (*) shape of Z2 or Z5 over the Z6 on the applicator (maybe a "dime's" size). For larger areas like the roof or hood, do this for half the panel..repeat for the other 1/2 panel. For smaller areas (doors, 1/4 panels), do this for the entire panel.
--don't use circular motions when applying, but overlapping horizontal (for horizontal surfaces) or overlapping vertical (for vertical surfaces) motions. Zaino is hard to see when it's applied, so be certain to overlap your "strokes". Do this over the entire car....including the wheels.
--I like to wait about 30 minutes before removing Zaino, but if it's not humid outside, this isn't required. Wipe it off. No buffing required.
--optionally, you can "mist" some Z6 detailing spray over a 2'x2' section at a time to give it the ultimate "glass" finish. But, it's certainly not required.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but in reality, it shouldn't take more than about an hour, start-to-finish (I've actually done this on my 330i in about 40 minutes).

One coat can and will last anywhere from 5-6 months...even in the winter.

Where people (like me) get into a ritual is to "layer" Zaino. Up until about the 4th coat, the shine will deepen by layering another coat. However, I only do one coat per wash routine over the course of weeks....not all at once.

Hope that helps with the "zaino newb". It's really not that hard.

mobilegun
07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
i recommend using a diluted mixture of the car wash soap for the claybar instead of z6, but only b/c its more 'abundant'. you can also dilute z6 with some distilled water if you're a frequent abuser of it. i highly highly highly recommend doing the last coat of z6 after you've wiped away the z2. you'll feel an amazing "smoothness" after its applied. its claimed that its a dust deterrent but i'd not go as far as to say deterrent.

ill agree with graphicguy, its a goodd 6 months between full applications with additional layering if you got the time in between. as far as claying i'd say it depends on your paint condition now. if its new with low miles or well protected etc, then its probably fairly clean and it wont take you long at all. theres a few 'tests' you can try like the hand in a plastic bag over the paint to try and feel if you got some junk in your paint. generally i just use my hand and go until its glass smooth.

its not hard to clay, and its safe so long as you remember to keep the clay clean and lubricated. as far as time, im a slow mover and jealous of graphicguy's 40 minute time. the first time i applied zaino ever a few years ago i went nuts and spent a good 17 hours detailing over 2 days (granted this wasnt just zaino process). now im down to around 2 or 3 hours but tend to use 303 on the plastics and rubbers and probably have some sort of OCD.

zaino has its initial time cost, however its durability pays off. nxt and such tend to last a month or so as you stated where zaino lasts months depending.

good luck!

Nova Bimmer
07-18-2006, 08:15 AM
what color is your e90?

graphicguy
07-21-2006, 07:55 AM
what color is your e90?

Black Saphire....

icemanjs4
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm with mobilegun and graphicguy,

Zaino is well worth it - it only takes a few minutes to apply to the whole car. After drying, it takes only 5 minutes to remove with no effort, and leaves the car in great shape. It lasts for 6 months easily. If you don't get a lot of rain, and you don't wash your car weekly, it could even last longer than that.

I agree about using carwash soap and water for the clay lubricant - it's much cheaper and in some ways works better than using Z6. I also find the lubricant that comes with the autozone variety of clay bar (I think it's claymagic) is pretty crummy. Dump the contents of the spray bottle and replace with water and car shampoo (meguiars gold class is good stuff).

I have to disagree with one thing from graphicguy. You don't have to use a leaf blower to help dry your car. Once your car has been treated with a good wax or sealant (ie Zaino), there's a neat trick a lot of us do. Take the sprayer head off the hose so you just have a stream of water. Rinse off your car with the free flowing water, and the water will sheet off of your car, leaving very little left on the paint. Then use a GOOD waffle-weave microfiber towel (a popular one around here is the Big Blue II that can be found on Classic automotive's web site - do a google search for big blue II), to blot away the water. I just lay the towel across the surface of the car - and it will literally dry a 2'x3' section in seconds - no wiping or rubbing needed.

I know this almost sounds like an ad for various products but I've seen a lot and used a lot - and the ones I mentioned above really do work wonders.

And don't be afraid to do the Zaino - perhaps 2 coats. It will last at least the 6 months and save you from working every month.

graphicguy
07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
iceman....the "streaming water" trick is a good one. However, even by doing that, there always seems to be water left behind in the seams of the body panels and headlight/tailight/door handle area. The only real way to get it out is to "blow it out" via a leaf blower or air compressor.

Maybe I'm a fanatic, but it makes me crazy after spending so much time detailing, then driving the car, and finding "dribbles" of water that has seeped out of the crevices leaving marks on my newly waxed car.

icemanjs4
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
iceman....the "streaming water" trick is a good one. However, even by doing that, there always seems to be water left behind in the seams of the body panels and headlight/tailight/door handle area. The only real way to get it out is to "blow it out" via a leaf blower or air compressor.

Maybe I'm a fanatic, but it makes me crazy after spending so much time detailing, then driving the car, and finding "dribbles" of water that has seeped out of the crevices leaving marks on my newly waxed car.

Ahhh - I'm with you there. I'm a bit obsessive too though. After I dry the body of the car, I then take my MF towel and open ever door, the trunk and the hood and wipe down all the painted surfaces there too (including the hinges of the trunk). This gets all of that water out too.

A) I don't have a leaf blower
B) I'd be too worried that I'd blow a stray leaf or something across my paint lol.

Anyway, the washing and drying comes first. By the time I get to the waxing, any residual water would have evaporated anyway (ok it's hot in Texas).