PDA

View Full Version : My Wash/Waxing Problem!

Taplin06
06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
I love to detail my car and have made it an every-other weekend thing. One weekend I will be detail the interior, and the next the exterior. The only problem I have is with the pre-washing. I usually go to the local coinop self serv car wash and try to carefully drive it 3 miles home without kicking up any dust onto the "spot free" water. When I get home there is usually water spots on the rear and bottom sides. I have tried to shammy before but this only makes it worst, my shammy skills are not very good. :thumbdwn:

I bought a Mr Clean Autodry, hoping that it would clear up the problem of having to make the dangerous 3 mile journey every other weekend. After the first use, I ditched it..the thing does not work, at least not for my Jet Black. It actually looks REALLY spotty! :eek:

What I am looking for is an easy way to remove dirt and general road grime before waxing the car? What is everyone elses routine in doing this, certainly not everyone shammys? The weekend is fast approaching and I do not want to risk scratching my car any more...

Artslinger
06-29-2006, 05:07 AM
Unless a cars finish is smooth and has a good coating of wax/sealant I find it very difficult to wash a car without getting some kind of water spots.

I would suggest adding another step after washing/drying your car. Use a paint cleaner like P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser or better yet Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish & Sealant. Than apply the wax and at the end you should have a smooth finish without any water spots.

http://www.properautocare.com/p2paincleanl.html

http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html

Desertnate
06-29-2006, 06:02 AM
In addition to Artslinger's advice, I would suggest practicing your drying technique. Practice makes perfect! :) I use an Absorber to dry my car rather than a chammy. I find the absorber FAR easier to use.

Another thing to consider is the time of day or condition you are washing your car under. if the weather is really hot and the surface of your car has heated up, the water will dry faster on its own faster than you can dry it by hand. In the heat of summer I wash my car in the driveway early in the morning for this very reason.

rad21
06-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Taplin06,

I also drive to the coin op car wash. I bring my own wash mitt and use Eagle One Bucket free car wash. For the final rinse, I use the spot free rinse and when I am done I wipe the windows with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I drive home and try to drive about 50 MPH to blow the water off the car. I never get any water spots but I also go to the car wash at 6AM before the sun and heat of the day.

Desertnate
06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Here is a thought for the OP and the masses...

Would a quick detail solve the water spot problem? If Klasse is used, the SONUS Acrylic Glanz is the weapon of choice, for Carnuba waxes there is Griots, McGuires, etc...

Wash the car, blow it off on the drive home, and then hit it with a quick coat of QD spray and wipe it down.

dboy11
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Here is a thought for the OP and the masses...

Would a quick detail solve the water spot problem? If Klasse is used, the SONUS Acrylic Glanz is the weapon of choice, for Carnuba waxes there is Griots, McGuires, etc...

Wash the car, blow it off on the drive home, and then hit it with a quick coat of QD spray and wipe it down.

QD should be used on a clean car not one that might have some road dirt from the drive home.....to answer this question I use a product by Poorboys World called Spray & Wipe its a waterless wash that will clean off the road dirt and clean up the water spots that have formed on the way home...then the QD spray would be OK to use....I do this almost every day on my black 540i...

http://www.poorboysworld.com

wuilman
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
i chamoise everytime, no spot of water is left to chance. i used to work at a body shop and water spots on a $100,00 dollar mercedes.....whoo boy! not happenin'