PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washing under the hood

Desertnate
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
All,

Wanting to do a little engine bay clean up with the ole home pressure washer and was looking for some tips. My washer isn't nearly as high power as the coin-op places, but want to avoid getting water in places it wasn't designed to be.

Soo...other than shooting straight down, any tips?

dboy11
06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
All,

Wanting to do a little engine bay clean up with the ole home pressure washer and was looking for some tips. My washer isn't nearly as high power as the coin-op places, but want to avoid getting water in places it wasn't designed to be.

Soo...other than shooting straight down, any tips?

IMO a pressure washer is to strong for engine bays...I prefer a hose with a low pressure nozzle, brushes and APC...if you have no experience with using one in the engine bay can cause some harm...that's just my take on it

mrclean
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree with the previous post. I never use a pressure washer when I detail my engine. In fact, I was going to post to find out how many people actually clean their engine.

I use a garden hose and Simple Green degreaser. 1st I wet the engine down, takes no more than 10 sec to just get water into the engine bay, then I generously spray simple green all in the engine bay. Then I use a sponge to loosen grease and grime. Then I hose off the Simple Green. Using a cotton towel, I dry off the engine. No need to dry the hard to reach areas, engine heat will do that. Once its dry using the towel, start the engine and use a vinyl/rubber treatment and spray the engine using a thin coat and allow it to penetrate the rubber parts. I let the engine get up to temperature before I shut it off. Then close the hood.

That's the short version. You may have questions so please ask. I'm no expert and I'm sure you will get other opinions. This works for me. I been cleaning my engine since 1990 with this method.

wag-zhp
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Water and electronics don't mix very well. I would strongly recommend against pressure washing under the hood, especially if you plan to drive the car any time within the next 2 days. (Maybe only 1 day if you live in AZ, or your climate offers 100 + degrees and zero humidity) I don't even try to keep the engine bay spotless in my daily drivers. Every couple of months I'll take some worn out T-shirts and wipe everything under the hood down. If you stay on top of it, and don't let a ton of grime build up, it really doesn't take a lot of effort to keep things semi-neat. Unless I hope to place well in a car show, I don't see any point in detailing under the hood. (Although a clean engine bay is a much more pleasent working environment, provided you do your own repairs, I just don't have the time to keep it spotless.)

Desertnate
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the info. This will be only the second time or so in the car's 7 years that the engine has been cleaned. However, I am trying to sell it, so I want it to look good for the pictures when I stick it out on e-bay.

Cliff
06-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the info. This will be only the second time or so in the car's 7 years that the engine has been cleaned. However, I am trying to sell it, so I want it to look good for the pictures when I stick it out on e-bay.

Mr. I <3 my E46 is selling his E46?!? :confused:

dboy11
06-29-2006, 04:52 PM

With the hose just wet the engine and the inside fenders down spray on some APC diluted about 50/50 with water....use some brushes to loose up the dirt and rinse off....dry up what you can and put a water based dressing on the car then start up and let run for about 10 minutes that will dry every thing up....just be careful not to put water on the electrical parts....I lay a rag over those for safety or some plastic...I've never had a problem