PDA

View Full Version : What do I lose if I skip claybar w Zaino?

330ci2B
06-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi all - ordered my zaino stuff, but didnt get the clay bar. I understand what it does but I have 2 brand new cars and didnt see the need for that step. Can I still do the Zaino steps without clay bar? If I skip it what do I have to lose?

I guess I'm being a little lazy, but I'm not super anal just want my car to look great...

Rsavory
07-01-2006, 01:10 PM
The clay bar adds another level of cleaning. I've detailed my cars with and without clay (non-zaino). You don't lose much by not claying, unless you have a lot of crap on the paint. I'll bet you'll still be pleased by the results w/o the clay. Just my opinion.

kobechrome
07-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I zaino'ed after claying but my car is 5.5 months old and aside from some parts on the front bumper, the clay hardly picked up anything. Maybe I didn't do it completely right, but the clay was pretty clean after doing the whole car. I used the plastic bag test and despite being a daily 60 mile commuter, the paint was suprisingly clean.

FalconGuy
07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
skip the zaino clay. Its Mothers clay at 2X the price even has the same UPC/bar code, but by all means clay, clay magic is 9.99 at auto zone. I prefer it, do not buy Zaino clay, it is not special in any way.

There are only 2 clay MFG's in the world....

Google it, all patent issues in Japan

ThatOneGuy
07-02-2006, 12:51 AM
If you don't claybar, you shouldn't bother.

dboy11
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
If you don't clay you will be alright but the benefit of clay is to remove all surface contaminates, they are plenty on a new car....rail dust being the biggest one...I would go to any decent auto parts store and get a kit with the clay and lube and follow the directions

kobechrome
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I just clayed yesterday for the 1st time ever. My 6 month old e90 was pretty clean except for some parts on the front bumper. But I also have been washing every week.

I think for new cars it's not really necessary and only cars which have not been taken care of.

my_e36
07-05-2006, 05:48 AM
When I had bought a new car last year (Honda Fit/Jazz), I clayed it upon delivery and it has alarming amount of cr*p caught by the clay. Judging by that, even brand new car will benefit from claying.

Like ThatOneGuy said, "If you don't claybar, you shouldn't bother."

I'd say "Quality prep work counts for at least 75% of the result!"

Excitmnt94
07-05-2006, 09:09 AM
if you are going to do it...do it right. clay is always a good idea even on a new car...

Nova Bimmer
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
DUDE! DO NOT SKIP CLAYBAR!

I Zainoed my car and used the claybar on it when it was only 3 weeks old AND IT PICKED UP ALL SORTS OF DEBRIS! (My car was ordered and did not sit long at the dealer maybe 2 days) Highly recommend it for the shine afterwards is worth it!

HW
07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
who sells the clay bar alone?

dboy11
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
who sells the clay bar alone?

http://www.poorboysworld.com

Elvis530i
07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes, you do need to clay bar your car, even if it's brand new. Why? Because you have no idea what it went through before it came to you. Maybe the shippers protected it properly, maybe they didn't. Even brand new cars can pick up all kinds of contaminants during shipping, especially if they were shipped by rail or a long distance by truck.

dboy11
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Yes, you do need to clay bar your car, even if it's brand new. Why? Because you have no idea what it went through before it came to you. Maybe the shippers protected it properly, maybe they didn't. Even brand new cars can pick up all kinds of contaminants during shipping, especially if they were shipped by rail or a long distance by truck.

These cars sit on ships, in lots, on trucks and train cars in transit....there is all kinds of stuff that gets on the car and clay is one way that you can remove all that....in detailing brand new cars I see all kinds of crap that comes off new cars that look shiny and clean.

For what clay costs and what it helps in prep for your car its nil...also clay is not a one time use.....after your done store in a plastic sandwich baggie with one squirt of lube in it and store in a cool place for the next use

Sproles
07-24-2006, 06:40 AM
I don't care if it is brand new or 8 years old...clay it! You will NOT regret it. It is easy and the results are noticeable!

Sproles

RaceTripper
07-24-2006, 06:49 AM
If you were to see how dirty a car is when it arrives at the dealer -- and before they detail it -- you would understand the benefit of claybarring a new car. Why not do it? It doesn't take more than 60-90 minutes.

I claybar every Spring.

hockeynut
07-24-2006, 12:18 PM
BMW normally ships their cars in covered trucks, not out in the open over the rails like other cars. Rail dust is the biggest thing that clay removes on a new car.

But by all means, clay it. Preparation is the most important (and neglected) step in detailing.

icemanjs4
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I can't tell you enough how much claying is worth it. It takes almost no time (half an hour to an hour depending on how thorough you really get).

It's so easy to do and hard to mess up. Even on a brand new car you'll be amazed at how the surface of your paint feels different after claying.

People are right, you dont' have to order the clay online. Every pep-boyz, Autozone, etc will have a Claybar and lube for 10 dollars. Although I don't recommend using their lube - it's pretty crappy stuff. Empty out the bottle, fill it with water and some good car soap (Meguiar's gold class soap - the orange stuff) will work much better. Use lots of soap too - don't skimp.

Look, you spent between 30 and 40K on a nice car. You've spent another hundred or two on detailing products, and are dedicating the better part of a day to take care of your car. Spend an extra 10 dollars and half an hour and clay the damn thing.

danna
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
How about me?

I'm seriously an accident waiting to happen. I've had my 545 a week and I've already taken a chunk out of the rim ( auto car wash guide rails ). Is there ANY way you can F-up the paint using a clay bar? Because if you can...I'm pretty sure I will.

My car is sapphire black, imported March 05, leased in NJ for 12 months, sat on a BMW dealer lot in Erie , PA for 4 months, just came to me (SC) via car carrier. It looks good to me, but then, I had let my '99 328 go completely to hell. I am very bad at cleaning things, but I would like to treat this car better.

Does it sound like a car that would need the clay bad enough to risk a clay bar in the wrong hands? (For example, last year I got a dremmel tool stuck in my hair) Thanks.

dboy11
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
How about me?

I'm seriously an accident waiting to happen. I've had my 545 a week and I've already taken a chunk out of the rim ( auto car wash guide rails ). Is there ANY way you can F-up the paint using a clay bar? Because if you can...I'm pretty sure I will.

My car is sapphire black, imported March 05, leased in NJ for 12 months, sat on a BMW dealer lot in Erie , PA for 4 months, just came to me (SC) via car carrier. It looks good to me, but then, I had let my '99 328 go completely to hell. I am very bad at cleaning things, but I would like to treat this car better.

Does it sound like a car that would need the clay bad enough to risk a clay bar in the wrong hands? (For example, last year I got a dremmel tool stuck in my hair) Thanks.

Since you car set on a lot for a months yes you should clay the car and its really not hard what so ever...trust me...First off wash the car using a good car soap (not dish soap)..then at any decent auto parts store you can buy a clay kit Mothers, Clay Magic, Meguiars all have them....as a quick test on the fresh washed car...take a plastic sandwich baggie and put it on your hand...palm side down run that over the hood...you should feel bumps that the stuff that the clay is going to take off..Following the directions on the kit...spray on the lube provided and rub the surface of the car, the clay should slip over the surface, if not then another spray of lube will do it...knead the clay as you go along so that you can keep a fairly clean side down.....work in panels so that you can keep good control over the areas...wipe clean and dry and move to the next panel...try and keep your hair out of this one

This link is posted here somewhere can't remember where but this is a fairly complete guide to detailing of which pics are provided on the clay process

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.cohen1/Detailing_Hand_Book.pdf

RaceTripper
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
...First off wash the car using a good car soap (not dish soap)...No, you should use Dawn, because it works great for stripping all the wax from the car, which is what you want to do before using claybar.

dboy11
09-28-2006, 03:14 PM
No, you should use Dawn, because it works great for stripping all the wax from the car, which is what you want to do before using claybar.

One your right dawn will strip off the wax on the car...its a degreaser...it also strips off the esstianal oils that are on the rubber seals on the car...next dish soap is designed to be used with HOT water not cold tap water...a fine layer of soap remains on the car unless you are using hot water for washing and rinsing......last and most important...clay by design strips everything that is on the car...that's its purpose