PDA

View Full Version : brake residue (NOT dust...)

rwfisher
07-02-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm starting to get frustrated with the big (~0.1-0.5mm) chunks of brake residue that are sticking to the rims of my X3. I've tried all the usual suggestions (solvent-based tar remover, S100, isopropyl alcohol, etc) up to the point of using synthetic brass wool as an abrasive. My rims are nice and clean except for these blasted black/brown spots. You can actually feel the raised blobs with your fingernail, so they're not just stains in the clear coat...although who knows what's underneath....

The usual road grime/dust comes off fine with S100, leaving these (*&$ blobs on the rim.

Before I go bonkers and try to sandblast these things, any ideas? Has anyone had to resort to the the brass/steel wool step yet? I'm thinking that the clay bar would be an understatement at this point....

The X3 is a CPO, and either the dealer or a detailer somewhere managed to get them clean before I bought the thing...so I know it's possible to get this crud off somehow!

I'm seriously considering switching to ceramic pads when the OEMs need replacement....

nelsonpuzon
07-03-2006, 01:46 AM
:cry: That Doesnt sound like brake residue. It sounds like you have a bad axle boot... If it is a CPO it might be time for you to take it in and have them take a look at it since it is certified. I have had that happen and both right and left needed to be replaced.

Sorry to break the news to you...

If it is not the boots use full strength simple green and some elbow greese with a brush. Never use scouring pads please. You will scratch them up. A clay bar will not help. if the simple green doesnt work use this stuff called "goop"

Detail your car with www.whipappeal.net OC California

rwfisher
07-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Ouch. It's CPO and under warranty, so I'd assume it would be covered...but....it's all 4 wheels. The back rims tend to get more of the gunk on them than the front....

"Goop"....is this the "goop" hand cleaner?

my_e36
07-05-2006, 04:36 AM
wet sanding maybe? I had some pretty stubborn stuff on my e36's rims too. Post a pix and see?