PDA

View Full Version : It's hot out here for a Bimmer

Griffoun
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
It's been almost 100F everyday in the past several days, and the place where you work has no garage but an outdoor parking lot. Would you...

1. Find a tree and park under it
2. Use reflectors for the front and back of the windows
3. Get all windows tinted according to state laws and park wherever I want
4. Doesn't matter, because the interior trims are going to fall off anyway even with the windows down-ed slightly

I only have one sun reflector, so most of the time I park my car facing West, as afternoon sun's always the hottest. I roll down the windows slightly, but still the interior trims fell off...

Today I parked my car under a tree. The spot is usually occupied when I arrive at work, but it's available today (July 3, Monday... duh!) Once I got off the car, a bird friendly reminded me about the consquences by dropping me a gift on the windshield!

bimmere46
07-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I think using a combination of those is the best answer. Crack the (tinted) windows a little to allow some heat to escape. Also a shade to cover the windshield show assist in keeping the heat out in the first place. :thumbup:

BmW745On19's
07-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Under a nice shady tree if I'm only going to be in for a minute, if there are none around or I'll be in for more time, I'll just cope with the car being in the sun for 30+ minutes. It has sunshades, that helps, factory tint so I don't really see too much of a problem (Still, it's pretty hard to keep a Black/Black car cool on a summer's day). When I get back to the car I roll down all the windows for a minute and blast the air on MAX and when it starts to cool I roll them up and I'm on my way.:thumbup:

William Turner
07-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I know there are reasons why it may not be practical, but have you considered a car cover. It takes a couple minutes but would stop the "green house effect" of the sun beating thru the windows.

I am in the San Fernando Valley and we have similar very hot weather. I have the luxury of not using my Roadster for a daily driver, but cover it at work on the days I do.

Bill

BmW745On19's
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I always keep my baby covered when it's clean, but it's never parked outside for more than an hour a day, so I think it's a hassel to cover it up unless I'm going to be somewhere all day.

William Turner
07-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Bmw745, I agree about the hassle of covering a car for short periods, but giffon was talking about parking in the lot at work so presumably the car will be there for 8 hours or so, or two 4 hour stretches if one leaves for lunch. And if you do find a tree to park under the cover will protect from bird droppings too.

Bill

chuck92103
07-03-2006, 04:06 PM
The poll does not have my choice so I did not vote.

I really hot days, the car stays in the garage and the margarita blender comes out. :beerchug: :drink: :slap: :yummy:

Griffoun
07-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Yup, unless you work less than 8 hours a day, I assume that's the least amount of time you're having your "babies" under the sun...

It's interesting to see that while most of us freak out when our Bimmers are bombed by birds, half of us still prefer parking under a tree. It's a fact that birds poop even when they're flying so there's still a chance to be bombed when parked with no cover, but don't you think there's a better chance of getting one when parked under a tree?

I also have a car cover, but it's been in my house's basement since I had moved out from the apartment. I might use it when I park my car at airport's longterm parking (I wonder if that's possible due to "security reasons")... it takes me 5 - 10 mins each time to put the cover on... not to mention it could scratch my car when it's dirty and I don't wash it daily!

picus
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Not only that, but tree sap is almost worse for your paint that bird bombs. I avoid them on purpose. If you've properly treated your interior surfaces with a UV protectant they will not fade.