PDA

View Full Version : Options for Repairing Bumper Scratches on Silver 325CI

Bimdrv
07-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Bought a brand new 2005 Silver 325CI last year and have been loving it and babying it ever since I got it. Against my wishes, my girlfriend decided to take it for a spin and parked it somewhere too close to the curb, basically running over the curb a bit and scratching the bottom of the bumper :(

Luckily the scratches aren't noticable when looking at the car but I know they are there and a few of them are down to the black plastic. I want to get this fixed.

I took it to a dealer to get their opinion in hopes of them telling me something I didn't already know. This is what they told me.

The scratches are too deep to fix up with touch up paint but that's an option to try.

Painting just the underside of the bumper isn't recommended as it will eventually peal and they don't recommend doing it.

Repainting the whole bumper is good (and I don't mind the price since I'm MAKING HER PAY FOR IT) but they are hesitant to do that because as they said, Silver is the hardest colour to match and I risk getting a bigger mess back with an off colour bumper.

Can anyone confirm this information and what I'm really hoping for is if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations as to if there is anything that I can do to restore the underside of the bumper as close to original as possible.

Thanks

DRWWE
07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
When I got a few scratches on my silver car I went to a body shop that does a lot of BMW's and said they used BMW's paint ($$$$$$$).

They told me metallic paints in general are difficult to match because of the little flakes in them. The flakes may be more or less dense than the original paint and therefore make the color match look off (lighter or darker). Also, spraying the paint from a different angle than was used at the factory could also affect the way it looks. They also told me that to fix the small scratch on my door they would need to paint the entire door for the above reasons but still couldn't guarantee it would be a prefect match with the rest of the car on that side.

I fixed my scratches with touch-up paint and Langka and it is better than is was before but no where near perfect.

dboy11
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Bought a brand new 2005 Silver 325CI last year and have been loving it and babying it ever since I got it. Against my wishes, my girlfriend decided to take it for a spin and parked it somewhere too close to the curb, basically running over the curb a bit and scratching the bottom of the bumper :(

Luckily the scratches aren't noticable when looking at the car but I know they are there and a few of them are down to the black plastic. I want to get this fixed.

I took it to a dealer to get their opinion in hopes of them telling me something I didn't already know. This is what they told me.

The scratches are too deep to fix up with touch up paint but that's an option to try.

Painting just the underside of the bumper isn't recommended as it will eventually peal and they don't recommend doing it.

Repainting the whole bumper is good (and I don't mind the price since I'm MAKING HER PAY FOR IT) but they are hesitant to do that because as they said, Silver is the hardest colour to match and I risk getting a bigger mess back with an off colour bumper.

Can anyone confirm this information and what I'm really hoping for is if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations as to if there is anything that I can do to restore the underside of the bumper as close to original as possible.

Thanks

Metallic is hard to match up I would leave this to the pro's have the bumper repainted if they are really bother you. Other than that I would learn to live with it

LDV330i
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
This was my solution to the scrapes in my bumper. :D Unfortunately this solution is only applicable to M-technik (ZHP) bumpers.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35112&d=1091937581

Bimdrv
07-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Guys thanks for the replies, I was kind of hoping to hear something positive but sounds like I'm stuck with it unless I want to risk painting the whole bumper and having it off colour :( I really wish I could do something about it though, car has been in amazing condition, not a scratch or ding and it just really upsetting. I guess it's true what they say, the first one really hurts, especially when you didn't do it!

Well if anyone has any possible suggestions, let me know. I had already ordered the Langka product, was going to give that a try at least to clean it up if I can't find any alternative solutions.

Joe

dboy11
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Guys thanks for the replies, I was kind of hoping to hear something positive but sounds like I'm stuck with it unless I want to risk painting the whole bumper and having it off colour :( I really wish I could do something about it though, car has been in amazing condition, not a scratch or ding and it just really upsetting. I guess it's true what they say, the first one really hurts, especially when you didn't do it!

Well if anyone has any possible suggestions, let me know. I had already ordered the Langka product, was going to give that a try at least to clean it up if I can't find any alternative solutions.

Joe

I wouldn't worry about the bumper coming out a different color...its a newer car and matching that would not be that hard for a good body shop.....Give the Langka try and see if you can make it look better and then live with it....I did that on my Murano you can still see it but it blends better this way