PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY: gum stuck to trunk?!

michael chase
07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
great

i've had my car for a week today and I just found a wad of blue gum on the back of my car now at 2:41 after it's been baking in the sun ALL DAY. the gum is melted and I took some of it off but there's still residue on the car. what should I do to get it off ASAP before it ruins my paint?? I don't know how long it's been there but what should I use to get it off? help :(

rad21
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
great

i've had my car for a week today and I just found a wad of blue gum on the back of my car now at 2:41 after it's been baking in the sun ALL DAY. the gum is melted and I took some of it off but there's still residue on the car. what should I do to get it off ASAP before it ruins my paint?? I don't know how long it's been there but what should I use to get it off? help :(

WD-40 but remember to reapply wax to the area after the gum removal.:thumbup:

michael chase
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
ahh, well I got it off, before anyone answered (then went out to celebrate by going to the bmw dealership and buying chrome license plate frames and exhaust tips), so just in case anyone ever has this problem (unlikely) and searches the forums, here is how I got it off: I used product called Goo-Gone, safe for use on car surfaces and dabbed the spot where the gum melted with a terrycloth, then waited a couple minutes and wiped it off with the same terrycloth. it sort of came off, but not entirely so I went to the car wash and a minute or two before I entered I dabbed a little more on the spot, and by the time I went through the wash it was gone =) then I of course waxed the and everything was a-okay

so if this ever happens to anyone else, just go to Leow's and get a little bottle of Goo-Gone for 1.95 and don't fret!

dboy11
07-12-2006, 07:16 AM
ahh, well I got it off, before anyone answered (then went out to celebrate by going to the bmw dealership and buying chrome license plate frames and exhaust tips), so just in case anyone ever has this problem (unlikely) and searches the forums, here is how I got it off: I used product called Goo-Gone, safe for use on car surfaces and dabbed the spot where the gum melted with a terrycloth, then waited a couple minutes and wiped it off with the same terrycloth. it sort of came off, but not entirely so I went to the car wash and a minute or two before I entered I dabbed a little more on the spot, and by the time I went through the wash it was gone =) then I of course waxed the and everything was a-okay

so if this ever happens to anyone else, just go to Leow's and get a little bottle of Goo-Gone for 1.95 and don't fret!

Glad that you got that off and Goo Gone was what I was giong to suggest....its paint safe...apply some new wax after using it

How much did the lience plate frames set you back?

HW
07-12-2006, 07:19 AM
cleaner wax (not wax from the multi-step wax) contains petroleum which will remove it w/ a bit of elbow grease.

michael chase
07-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Glad that you got that off and Goo Gone was what I was giong to suggest....its paint safe...apply some new wax after using it

How much did the lience plate frames set you back?

I think they only charged me $32 each, not too bad, but to me it seems like something you absolutely have to have no matter how much they cost you. they look very very good contrasting against the black paintjob:thumbup:

dboy11
07-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I think they only charged me $32 each, not too bad, but to me it seems like something you absolutely have to have no matter how much they cost you. they look very very good contrasting against the black paintjob:thumbup:

I know what you mean I've been looking online for them but not that hard..the BMW dealership here wants $28 ea