PDA

View Full Version : Body Work

lsedels
07-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Yesterday, I incurred damage to my left front quarter panel and my driver's side door panel on a 325. I will be geting it repaired. My question is ... I know that upon trade-in, the dealers have a device that they use to determine the thickness of the paint on various parts of the car so they can gauge whether any body work has been done. Is there any way to avoid surfacing via this device that I've had body work done? I am sure that if the dealer picks it up, they will deduct from the tradein value of the car, no?

picus
07-13-2006, 06:48 AM
If they're using a paint thickness gauge there isn't much you can do. I've seen maybe 3 body shop repairs that were comparable in thickness to a factory job; almost *all* third party repairs are 2, 3, and even 4x as thick as factory, so it's immediately apparant. I would be more concerned with making sure they do a good job aesthetically matching it up with the rest of the paint, that way the dealer may not check with a gauge. Most people who are familar with automotive paint can spot a re-paint a mile away, so just be diligent about making sure they do a quality job, don't sweat the thickness since there isn't much you can do.

Elvis530i
07-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Is there any way to avoid surfacing via this device that I've had body work done?

If they use any filler at all, no. But, there's a very good article on how to handle bodywork and ensure you get a professional job (instead of one with tape lines that screams, "I was in an accident") here:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=20

Fair warning: it's a lot of work on your part, but it should be worth it.