PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of 2 week old water spots? HELP!!

trigger52
07-15-2006, 12:57 AM
so i left my 2 month old jet black 530i parked in front of my buddy 's house during his 4th of july bbq. his sprinklers turned on and soaked the car. I didn't have time to clean it ASAP, so water spots formed on the trunk and hood. Today (about 2 weeks later) I tried washing it, polishing it with meguire's paint cleaner and polish. I didn't have time to wax the car yet since it got dark. SPOTS ARE STILL THERE!... it's driving me nuts.......

any suggestions on how to get these things off before i got insane????? thanks for the help guys

Elvis530i
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
so i left my 2 month old jet black 530i parked in front of my buddy 's house during his 4th of july bbq. his sprinklers turned on and soaked the car. I didn't have time to clean it ASAP, so water spots formed on the trunk and hood. Today (about 2 weeks later) I tried washing it, polishing it with meguire's paint cleaner and polish. I didn't have time to wax the car yet since it got dark. SPOTS ARE STILL THERE!... it's driving me nuts.......

any suggestions on how to get these things off before i got insane????? thanks for the help guys

Unfortunately, it sounds like they've etched the clear coat. It can happen. You'll need to get some swirl/scratch remover and a buffer to get them out, but it's not hard with the right tools.

Big_C
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM

yes, they are very easy to come out. You need to give the car an acid bath, and luckly one of the strongest acids you can use is acetic acid.. aka VINEGAR!

Expert car detailers have known this secret for years. If you take your car to a pro, they will tell you about the "magic acid bath" and charge you $60 or more for the pleasure of smelling like a pickle. Save the $60, put on some gloves, and get to it. (you will need gloves because vinegar will get under your cuticles and burn the **** out of you)

first wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a rag, and rub it in. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo and rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax. So, be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

whatever you do, don't polish the car with the spots still on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dboy11
07-17-2006, 07:28 AM
The vinegar will do the job that you are looking for, also one other than I do is either clay or FK1 decomnation kit, by Finish Kare

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

cc-vortex
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
2 parts water to one part vinegar... the water at my house is so hard I have to use a chain saw to drink it.