PDA

View Full Version : Homelink Remote Transceiver Help

johm_330Ci
12-21-2001, 06:43 PM
My Homelink isn't learning my Garage Door opener's frequency. It's made in Canada, and i'm suspecting that it's using the rolling transmissions. I've read the instructions, and it says to repress the garage door opener every two seconds while keeping the homelink pressed. I've been trying over and over until my arms were too tired, again and again for about 20 minutes.

i have successfully programed my gate opener, that one seems to be normal. please help if you ran into this problem. please write specific details about how you did it. thanx.

oh, i wasn't using a watch, i was just counting two seconds in my head... i didn't have a watch on me. I did notice that the flashing light was going at an uneven pattern... but that's all i could make it do. thanks in advance.

Mr. E
12-21-2001, 06:53 PM
According to the instructions, for rolling code garage door openers, you're supposed to press a training button inside the opener itself (near the remote receiver location). Check the reverse side of your instructions.

You'll probably need to have a second person to help you, or run back and forth really fast. ;)

If there's no training button, you might have an unsupported garage door opener (?) They're pretty vague on the models supported, even on their web site. If all else fails, try their customer service at 1-800-355-3515.

johm_330Ci
12-21-2001, 07:21 PM
Thanks! I'll look for the training button tomorrow.

The HACK
12-21-2001, 07:42 PM
If it's a Sears Craftsmen, the training button is a little green button on the back of the opener with a whole bunch of other dials and buttons. It's not labeled so you'll have to try out all the buttons back there. :(

Kaz
12-21-2001, 11:45 PM
I had to call Homelink to figure this out. The instructions aren't very clear on how this works.

Basically, rolling code is a 2-step process. You need to do both the standard AND rolling code parts of the instruction.

First, take a remote that already works with your opener and learn it (I didn't do the 2-second thing). Once its learned, follow the opener's instructions to learn the car to the opener. On mine (a Genie receiver module added to a 1978 opener; its original module ran on a incompatible ancient freq), you hit the learn on the receiver, hit the car's button till the LED turns off, and thats it.

Mr. The Edge
12-22-2001, 12:22 AM
Yes, Kaz is right. Homelink.com has the instructions there. First program the buttons as normal, then do as is instructed here:

http://www.homelink.com/programming/rolling.html

P.S. In the very final step, I had to press and release the button 3 times

Mr. E
03-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Oh man, I love this board. I just bought and installed a new garage door opener with rolling codes today. I couldn't program it by following the instructions in the Universal Transmitter guide, but I vaguely remembered this thread, searched for it, and got the real scoop. As a bonus, my two delivered garage door openers became "untrained" in the process, so I don't have to worry about them possibly falling into hostile hands. :D

Kaz
03-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Dang, I forgot I'd posted that!

I'd keep one of the original openers programmed and in a safe place. You need one to program the car anyhow, and mine has 'forgotten' twice; once it forgot just the car; the other time it forgot the car and the handheld.