PDA

View Full Version : OK - full Zaino detail - what would you pay?

Sproles
07-23-2006, 10:37 AM
OK - I have begin this small little side business (weekends only) where I am doing full details of people's nice high-end vehicles at work. Most of the people I am talking to are ones that I know fairly well, so I am not "advertising" this new little endeavor.

What would you think would be a fair price for the full deal: wash, clay, wash, 2 coats of zaino polish with gloss enhancer in between each one, tires cleaned and wheels poished. Also, what would you then pay if you did the inside (dash, vaccum, etc) and then extra if they had leather seats.

All told, it is about 6-8 hours of work (depending on howbad the car is and the size. I am currently "charging" $150 for the exterior only, $25 extra for interior (need to raise that one) and an extra $25 for leather (need to charge more for that one as well.)

Anyway - would like your thoughts. I did my first one (for someone else) and they were BLOWN away by the results. they said that now they had seen the finished product they would have paid $250 for it, but I am scepticle of charging that much...

Your thoughts and insight would be appreciated.:thumbup:
Sproles

PS - before you answer, "I would not pay someone else, I would just do it myself" I understand that most people in this section of the forums will be doing it themselves...what do you think OTHERS would be willing to pay?! :rolleyes:

Boxboss
07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
You should check other detail shops in town to get comparable pricing for similar services. If none offer Zaino, then you should charge more for a superior product. You could say "Yes, mine is $25 (or whatever) more than Joe's Detailing, but he uses Turtle Wax and I use Zanio which protects 5 times as long, blah, blah, blah."

You can't charge a lot more than other detailers and you sure shouldn't charge any less.

graphicguy
07-23-2006, 11:18 AM
$150 seems to be the going rate for a full, inside/outside detail in my 'burg from reputable (and good) detailers. Most don't mind that I ask them to use Zaino instead of their "normal" wax. You just have to be certain to tell them the "gotchas" (put it on thin).

I've only used one detailer who I trust. He won't use Zaino for his normal detail customers, but he has no problems using it for me when I request it (and give him and oz. to use).

The cost is in the labor. The product used is only a small portion of that.

Superior Shine
09-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I commend you for your motivation and making some cash on the weekends but if you charged what a pro detailer charged the customer wouldn’t be getting a good deal.

A pro detailer would be licensed, insured, bonded, and trained on all the various materials that comprise a vehicle.

Have you had formal (and continual) training?
Do you know how to identify single stage to two stage paint?
Do you know how much paint can be safely removed?
Do you know how to measure the paint?
Are you proficient with a buffer?
What is acid rain and how do you identify it?
How do you repair acid rain damage?
Can you identify the different types of leather?
Do you know how to treat the different types of leather?
Do you carry the appropriate products for the many types of rims you will encounter?
Are you insured and bonded?
As mandated by federal law, to you reclaim your waste water?

I could go on but I think I made my point. If you don’t offer everything as good or better than the pro detailers in your area then you shouldn’t charge the same.

Good luck in your endeavor.

picus
09-03-2006, 04:20 AM
I agree with the above post; I would charge the same or slightly less than what local detailers charge for a "Wash & Wax". I would not charge what they charge for a full detail, since it is likely their full detail includes paint correction.