PDA

View Full Version : What is Clay / Claybar..?

Faxe
07-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is Clay / Claybar.?

stream
07-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Clay bar is used to remove surface contaminants from the paint. It's a piece of special clay that you glide over the surface after spraying a lubricant on an area of the car body. It makes the paint super smooth. You need to wax after claying.

I've used Clay Magic for over 15 years with great results. The key is plenty of lubricant, and glide the bar with very slight pressure back and forth (as the wind goes over the car), never in circles.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/awc-88256.html

Faxe
07-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Thank you, I have never heard of this before joining BimmerFest, and I have never
seen such a product here in this country, may have a closer look in the local shop
to see if its available here.

stream
07-31-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm sure you'll be able to find clay bar. If not Clay Magic, many other brands exist (most detailing product companies offer it).

My cars get clayed twice a year.

Faxe
07-31-2006, 08:30 AM
If not, I have to import a set from the US.

Test_Engineer
07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
If not, I have to import a set from the US.

Most autoparts stores that carry a lot of waxes and polishes will carry clay. Most of the parts stores around here carry at least one brand.

dboy11
07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
To get some clay in your area have a look here

http://www.detailcity.org

They have distributors for car care products all over the world

Elvis530i
07-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm sure you can order it online if nothing else.

It's an essential step if you're serious about detailing. The first time you do it and see how much crap it takes off, and what a difference it makes, you'll be hooked.

TOGWT
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is Clay / Claybar.?

First used by Japanese auto manufacturers the technology was passed on to the US market in the late ‘90’s. Detailing clay bars, are actually a malleable plastic (Polyisobutylene) that allows the bar to be kneaded.
Clay is not a replacement for decontamination, polish or a compound; it is a mildly abrasive surface preparation, with an average particle size of 1- micron of Kaolin abrasives that polish and exfoliate contaminants by shearing and / or encapsulation, to abrade embedded pollutants and debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability.

Most manufacturers colorize the plastic to identify differing abrasive strengths (i.e. Clay Magic Blue is a fine abrasive, whereas the Red is a medium abrasive) It is also very effective on paint over-spray, if the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional. http://www.claymagic.net/

a) Fine- clay that abrades or shears light surface or imbedded paint contamination and encapsulates it.

b) Medium- clay is used to remove heavier surface contaminants (bird excrement and bug reside) it is slightly more abrasive than the fine grade and abrades the paint surface, while the clay encapsulates it

c) Medium to Heavy duty- clay is used to remove paint over-spray; it contains a slightly stronger abrasive that abrades the paint, while the clay encapsulates it

There are only a couple manufactures of clay and patents protect the technology, with some subtle difference
(Elastic and Poly) in consistency and firmness, a recent court hearing found components of the “elastic clay” to be a patent infringement and the judge ordered sale of the product to be halted. (In the United States, AWC sells Clay Magic®, the original surface preparation bar. Auto Wax owns six patents relating to clay products and provides private label clay to many of the detail industry’s leading companies)