PDA

View Full Version : Need help on removing scratch

peoe2
07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
So I dropped a power plug on my bumper and it did this scracth. It's fairly small but I'd like to see what I can do to remove it. What do you guys recommend?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eobechouche/scratch/DSCN2968.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eobechouche/scratch/DSCN2972.jpg

dboy11
07-31-2006, 03:43 PM
It appears that you need some wet sanding this should be done by someone that knows what they are doing....Have a look for a good detailer in your area....your local BMW dealer might have a source for you.....polishing might work but its going to be with a rotary buffer and an aggressive product to get the out.....real looks like its a bit deeper than that

Where are you located?

peoe2
07-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Where are you located?

I'm in the Washington DC area, on the Maryland side. Wet sanding :(. I was hoping that scratchX or mother's scratchremover would help.

Maybe I can paint over it with touch up paint to make it less noticeable?

Elvis530i
07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
It's got too much depth to fix with scratchX or really any polishing compound, from the looks of it.

Now, I don't guarantee any results with this method, but I've fixed a couple of scratches like that with touch-up paint, careful wet-sanding, followed by polishing. You want to use the tip of a toothpick and apply no more paint than you absolutely need to fill the scratch, then let it cure a few days. Follow up with some 2000 grit sandpaper to get it level, then use the polishing compound to remove the scratches.

If you're not confident of your ability to try this without screwing up your car, a good detailer can take care of it.

peoe2
08-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks, actually the scratch looks bigger in the pics than in reality since I did a pretty big zoom on it. I painted the scratch last night and am now waiting for the paint to dry.
I'll get started on practicing the wetsanding thing on my old bumper. Thanks all for your replies.