PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning stains off wheels

TommyZ3
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I have a 2002 3.0i with 30k miles with oem BMW style 32 wheels. It was new-to-me a year ago and came with wheels that have a few stains and are pitted (very rough to the touch) in some spots. Overall they look quite good but the blemishes do bother me. I was not able to remove the stains with clay or any other auto store purchased wheel cleaners ie, Eagle1, Meguiars, etc.

I will have them refinished at some point. Until then, any suggested products and/or techniques I can try?

Thanks.

dboy11
08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a 2001 3.0i with 30k miles with oem BMW style 32 wheels. It was new-to-me a year ago and came with wheels that have a few stains and are pitted (very rough to the touch) in some spots. Overall they look quite good but the blemishes do bother me. I was not able to remove the stains with clay or any other auto store purchased wheel cleaners ie, Eagle1, Meguiars, etc.

I will have them refinished at some point. Until then, any suggested products and/or techniques I can try?

Thanks.

When you say stained are these rims clear coated aluminum?

This will make a huge difference in what I suggest

TommyZ3
08-02-2006, 03:23 PM
They are the original BMW brand wheels that came with the 3.0i. Orginal description is "Alloy Wheels" that's really all I know about them. I would think that are clear coated. The stains I am speaking of are gray patches 1"x2" and 1/2" spots on some of the spokes.

dboy11
08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
They are the original BMW brand wheels that came with the 3.0i. Orginal description is "Alloy Wheels" that's really all I know about them. I would think that are clear coated.

As I remember that 3.0 had alloy wheels and where anodized finish....couple of things for cleaning the built in brake dust you need something stronger than over the counter cleaners

I use one that is from Poorboys World Spray & Rinse and then use a good wheel brush this should remove most of the baked on dust....I suspect that some might be baked into the finish and is not coming out that's from years of abuse and lack of cleaning.

Next you could try a chemical based polish again Poorboys, Pro-polish is the one that has worked for me...I will post the link for these two products.

If you can post a pic of these rims that would be real helpful

What year is this car....because I suspect that the rims are not clear coated if they are the Poorboys Pro-Polish will clean that up real well

http://www.poorboysworld.com

as a side note you see that I suggested Poorboys products allot, in the last 30 plus years that I have detailed cars, I have yet to find a better product for the money and give back the same in quality....other then being a good customer to him, that's the only reason I talk about his line, I make no money from this in other words

TommyZ3
08-03-2006, 06:30 AM
I beleive they are clear coated so I will give the porrboy products a try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dneves1285
08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
3M adhesive remover worked for me after trying a bunch of other things. I got it from Griots, and used a Q tip. It was the only thing I could get to dissolve the caked-on Brembo Brake Dust on my kid's WRX. 3M says it won't harm the paint and it really did work!
I actually thought the dust had eaten into the wheels, but this took it all off, and the wheels look like new. Plan to use Klasse AIO in hopes of preventing a repeat.

dboy11
08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
3M adhesive remover worked for me after trying a bunch of other things. I got it from Griots, and used a Q tip. It was the only thing I could get to dissolve the caked-on Brembo Brake Dust on my kid's WRX. 3M says it won't harm the paint and it really did work!
I actually thought the dust had eaten into the wheels, but this took it all off, and the wheels look like new. Plan to use Klasse AIO in hopes of preventing a repeat.

The Klasse AIO is a cleaner and offers not much in protection...I use a sealant on rims its a higher temp product and helps reduce and resits the brake dust

jeff330i
08-16-2006, 12:36 AM
+1 on the Klasse AIO. It works wonders to get baked on brake dust out of the pits they make. It even gets out the corrosive track pad material out of the pits in the clearcoat.