PDA

View Full Version : Clay Virgin

mimic
08-04-2006, 11:20 PM
So I'd heard a lot about what clay can do for your cars surface. Finally after a few days of reading up on it I decided to give it a try. I bought some Meguiars Detail Clay, mild. I also used some quick detail to keep the clay and car moist while working it. I was surprised at how much dirt it picked up, especially considering pretty much for the last 4 months I've washed it every weekend religiously. The hood and roof were the worst. I must have spent 1/3 of my time on just those two spots. It took me a little over 3 hours to clay my whole car. I don't think it had ever been done, so maybe thats why it took so long.

Its a long weekend here and this claying is just the beginning. Tomorrow I am going to use some swirl and scratch removal compound, probably apply 3 or 4 coats of this. Then Sunday I'm going to wax. Washing the car before each step. Monday I'll enjoy my hard work.

Anyways, heres some pics of the car after tonights clay job. This is not waxed yet.

lawguy
08-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Looks awesome.. great job there!!! :thumbup:

Why don't you share exactly how you went about claying? I'm relatively new at claying too and although I've done it a few time, I'm really not sure whether I'm doing it right.

mimic
08-05-2006, 08:16 AM
First thing I did was wash the car thoroughly, making sure to get everything as clean as I could. Next I dried with a chammy. I took the block of Meguiars clay and cut 1/3 of it off. Flattened the clay into a small patty, about 2***189;" wide by ***189;" thick. I sprayed some Meguiars Final Touch on both the surface of the car and on the clay. This lubricates the clay and car surface to help remove the dirt. It also prevents the clay from scratching the car. Make sure to re-apply the spray to both the clay and car surface frequently.

I did one section at a time. The hood and roof I did in halfs. Placing the clay on the surface of the paint I moved it back and forth with mild pressure until it felt like there was no longer any resistance. You can actually feel, and hear it get clean. If you check the clay you'll see the dirt its picked up. Be sure to mash up the clay and remold it to provide a fresh cleaning surface. I did find some tiny white dots that looks like paint spray residue, they took a little bit longer to get off. My suggestion would be to focus on the hood, roof, trunk-lid, and the wheel fenders.

After completing a section I would take 2 microfiber cloths. I used one to wipe up any remaining Final Touch, and the other to buff the surface.

Thats it. Not hard work, just a little tedious. But its totally worth it.

DanT
08-05-2006, 11:02 AM
seems like you spend a lot of time "waxin it" :P

mimic
08-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Hell yeah!
The ladies like it shiney. :thumbup:

Kzang
08-05-2006, 08:29 PM
WOW looks good even without the wax. Although you should do something about the bumper trim :) It looks more white than black :)

mimic
08-06-2006, 01:44 AM
WOW looks good even without the wax. Although you should do something about the bumper trim :) It looks more white than black :)
Yeah, I have some Mothers Back to Black. Going to use that tomorrow to clean the wax residue off the trim.

Boxboss
08-06-2006, 05:35 AM
First thing I did was wash the car thoroughly, making sure to get everything as clean as I could. Next I dried with a chammy. I believe the majority opinion is no need to dry before using the clay - I don't.

mimic
08-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I didn't know if I could or not Boxboss. So thats why I dried it. Just to be on the safe side.

On the topic of my trim. Anyone know where I can order a shadowline kit to replace mine with? I want to get rid of the chrome on the trim, and black out my grill.