PDA

View Full Version : Detailing tips

GTI
01-21-2002, 03:41 PM
Please share your detailing experience/tips/products/etc.

- get some foam paint brushes from Walmart/etc. for cleaning your M68 wheels. The small 1" and 4" wide brush works great between those double spokes and where the spokes join the outer rim.
- Use a dry Micro fibre towel to clean the interior. And wet it to clean the interior of windows.
- Car wash: Hose down the car. Use a bigger(32oz) spray bottle with water mixed with your car wash soap (a bit more concentrated than normal). Spray the mix all over the car. Let it sits for 5 minutes. Hose it down.
You have removed 70% of the dirt/sand/etc. that you may rub against the paint with your mitts.
Much less chance of swirls.

GTI
01-21-2002, 04:04 PM
After the final rinse after a wash. Most people remove the nozzle and let the water free flow out the hose on the car from one corner of the hood/roof across so the water sheets off the paint leaving your car 75% dry.

I just use a gallon bottle and pour water from it instead of removing the spray nozzle from the hose. I find it easier to control as well.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 06:47 AM
I prefer using the 2-bucket method for washing, and linear motions, since I have a jet black finish.

Basically, it takes me 45 min from beginning to end.

~Rinse the car to begin with.
~Using a wash mitt, one linear motion, then flip the mitt, back across the same area, rinse in 2nd bucket, then back into the soapy bucket, repeat. I rinse off each section when finished.
~Use the straight hose to rinse entire car, which sheds 80% of the water if the car is waxed.
~Use a california water blade on the flat surfaces, and synthetic chamois to clean up areas the the CWB doesn't get.
~Griot speed shine (or any good detail finish spray) to complete the job.

I also use 3 different mitts, one for just the finish, one for the bumpers and rockers, and one for the wheels.

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 08:54 AM
45 min Rip? Damn you're fast! Takes me over an hour.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 10:09 AM
45 min for wash/dry only, actually, with the speed shine, probably 1.5 hours...thats not including the inside of the doors, the interior, nor the inside of the hood, engine compartment and trunk.

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 11:33 AM
45 min for wash AND dry? that is fast.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Well, considering the car is a sub-compact, yes! :) I don't scrub it! I gently wash it! ;)

The CWB is the ticket, that puppy takes 90% of the water off in about 3 min. or less.

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 11:58 AM
I can see how the CWB would make drying faster than doing the whole car with a Chamois like I do.

It still takes me over an hour to wash.

I'm very picky that I get every nook and cranny as well as the bottom of the rocker panels, wheel wells etc...

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Well, considering the car is a [b]sub-compact

Ummmm...Rip....These cars are not classified as Sub-Compacts.

Guest84
01-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

Ummmm...Rip....These cars are not classified as Sub-Compacts.

They not?! Cool! My insurance company on my papers have it listed as "Sub-Comp", no wonder my insurance is so cheap! :p

in_d_haus
01-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Your insurance lists these as a Sub-compact? That's usually reserved for Yugo's and the like.

Mine lists it as Luxury coupe

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-13-2002, 07:02 AM
According to the government, the 5 series is a compact car. :)

Sean
02-13-2002, 08:46 PM
Takes me 2 1/2 - 3 hours to wash, clean the wheels and dry the car and wheels off. I'm very picky. :thumb:

Silver Bullet
02-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Use an air compressor to blow out water from behind lights and other trim pieces. Helps prevent the hour long dribble from these parts.