PDA

View Full Version : Bmw E36 Sterering Big Problem

hiettd
08-07-2006, 09:27 AM
NEED HELP GOT A E36 CONV 1.8 1996 BIG PROBLEM WITH STEERING WHEN I AM DRIVING THE CAR IT GOES FROM HAVING FULL POWER STEERING TO ALMOSTR SEIZING UP ON ME AT TIMES THE PROBLE HAPPENS INTERMITATLY AND IS DANGROUS AS SOME TIMES I AM TURNING WITH FULL POWER THEN IT GOES STIFF AND CANT BE TURNED EASILY IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE A SPRING BEING COILED UP I KNOW ITS NOT THE PUMP OR FLUID AS HAVE BOTH BEEN CHANGED THANKS CAN ANYONE HELP DANNY HIETTD@AOL.COM

noelp
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Danny,

Strange as it may seem, the problem is not the power steering but the universal joint in the steering column just in front of the firewall! It is dry and bound up. You can check this by jacking up the front wheels and turning the steering wheel. It will feel "lumpy".

The fix (at least temporary) for my '98 E36 M3 was trivial - no tools required. Just liberally apply WD-40 or similar to the joint and work the steering back and forth. Mine freed up nicely. Hope it works for you.

Noel

executechs1315
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am having a similar problem on my BMW 325IS with 190,000 miles. I drove the car from New York to florida ( 2500 Miles ). Driving on a straight run for a couple hours , the car runs fine. I get off to get gas and the steering is stiff, I almost have to do figure eights to get it to free up. Recently in city and some highway it is happening more frequently. I checked the fluid and installed new fluid by remooving some hoses and filling the Power Steer back up with Dextron 111 mercon ATF. seemed to work a little better. also, just had my tires rotated but don't think thats the problem, was happening before but not as bad. Anyway, I checked for leaks and is ok. hope its not my Rack or a collapsed PS High pressure hose...$$$$ Its seems to be getting worse. Any help would be graitly appreciated. N-

bmw318iman
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
I have recently changed my steering column to cure this steering problem. I have seen with my own eyes an alternative reason why this effect is felt on the stearing. At the top of the column is a ball bearing which braeks up, dispensing the balls into the column between the two conduit channels. There they carve out a groove that they run in. As temperature changes within the car expand the metals, the balls become a tighter fit. Especially after slowing down when coming to the end of a long journey: changing to urban driving after motorway driving. You could usually temporarily "cure" the problem by rocking the steering wheel from side to side, freeing up the balls: until the next time they snag. The column is remarkablely easy to change and if you can find a used one thats free it's quite a cheap fix if you do it yourself. At one point you will need the help of a second pair of hands to re-attach the coupling joint.

mse678
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
NEED HELP GOT A E36 CONV 1.8 1996 BIG PROBLEM WITH STEERING WHEN I AM DRIVING THE CAR IT GOES FROM HAVING FULL POWER STEERING TO ALMOSTR SEIZING UP ON ME AT TIMES THE PROBLE HAPPENS INTERMITATLY AND IS DANGROUS AS SOME TIMES I AM TURNING WITH FULL POWER THEN IT GOES STIFF AND CANT BE TURNED EASILY IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE A SPRING BEING COILED UP I KNOW ITS NOT THE PUMP OR FLUID AS HAVE BOTH BEEN CHANGED THANKS CAN ANYONE HELP DANNY HIETTD@AOL.COM

have you resolved this issue yet?
is it the column?

mse678
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
test

amancuso
03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Has anyone else had this problem? How was it resolved?

blueskycar
04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I had that problem. Try spraying penetrating lube like PB Blaster followed by white lithium grease into the joint where the steering column comes out of the firewall in to the engine bay. That solved my problem

johnnybroc
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I brought my car (e36) to my mechanic for this steering problem and he told me I needed a new rack and pinion for about $800. The main problem I had with the stiff steering was that after making a 90 degree turn the steering wheel would stay turned rather than go back to center.

Anyway, I tried what you guys recommended and sprayed the joint just in front of the firewall with WD-40 and IT WORKED! The steering is smooth now. I even prefer it to the steering on my E90.

I had the can of WD-40 in my garage so it my repair cost went from $800 to $0.

Thanks.

Rossi46
09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Hmmm,I have this very problem on my 328 cabrio.seems to come and go.will give these suggestions a try..:-)
,mine also creaks,sounds like sumik grinding around steering coloum..

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Rossi46
09-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Just sprayed wiv wd40..problem gone;-)simple but effective

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

tinamina49
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Tomorrow I will find some one to help me jack up the front of the car and spray the WD4. But I need help as to exactly where to look if you're a woman talking to a guy and explaining this. Can someone help?

I have a 1995 BMW 325i that I have been the owner and principal driver of from the beginning. About a year ago I had a problem where the steering just seemed to stick. And at the same time it sounded like there was some kind of clicking in the actual steering column, in the wheel or just below it.

It really scared me so I took it to a Bavarian repair shop and had them thoroughly look over the car. They did not find anything wrong with the steering and there was no problem again until recently. I have driven the car back and forth MT-WA many times and the problem has been intermittent and has no correlation to hot and cold, just seems to be arbitrary. Today the steering was unusually stiff and it was mid fifties and raining. I actually got scared driving home on a winding road at dusk. I was afraid I would have to call AAA and have the car towed but I will try this remedy first and let you all know the outcome!

amit2011
05-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi,

appreciate your help, but does any one have any pics so that I can attempt this by myself

how much would it cost if i was to take it to a garrage?

amit

kevin305
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Take a flashlight and look straight down next to the fuse box. Can't miss it. Hook together a couple of drink straws to reach down to the joint, spray liberally with WD-40, turn the steering wheel to work it in. Enjoy driving your BMW once again. Now, does anyone have the shortcut for replacing a bad clutch throwout bearing without removing the transmission?

Red Coat
07-03-2011, 07:47 PM
WD40 is a temporary fix. Had the same issue and eventually replaced the power steering pump. It was the pump impeller shaft.

Red Coat

ACS-B
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
brake cleaner then silicone spray and then Wurth HHS 2000 grease spray worked for me, thanks!

sillyocis
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
you CAN change your throwout bearing without removing the transmission. Just pull the motor instead! :)