PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning dusty engine

Spartacus_33
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Just got back from a trip to Idaho... and although it was against my OCD better judgement, I drove up a 4 mile dirt road to see an old friend. It was soooooooo dusty!

I figured the car could always be cleaned.. and old friends are more important.

So, now that I'm back, I did an advanced search on "cleaning engine" and really didn't find much.

Anyone have any fail-safe method for doing this? I've read that the ECU unit (whatever that is) should be covered as well as any electrical components. $h1T, there are wires everywhere!.

What do you all do?

BMW1983
08-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Spray Degreaser, scrub the dirty spots and hose it down. Shouldn't need a power washer if you did a good job scrubbing. Leave the engine off and use a compressor with an air gun to dry it out.

BrianSF
08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
And just stay away from/cover/be careful around anythng that looks electrical/electronic. The ECU is the engine control unit--the brains of the engine.

AW328i
08-15-2006, 02:35 AM
If you do spray with water spray downward only, and try not to spray from the side so you don't get any water underneath some of the plastic covers.

Spartacus_33
08-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the tips.........

dboy11
08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the tips.........

Cleaning a dusty or dirty engine is really no hard just tedious....requirements are a good all purpose cleaner like a 409....I dilute mine 10/1 water to APC and then use 100% where needed....brushes are the key to loosen up the dirt or grease....have a look at your local auto parts stores, this is one that I use all the time called a mechanics brush.

Start with the water on real low pressure and as suggested spray down the sides of the compartment then use APC and brush then rinse again...for other parts of the engine the APC and brushes should be enough...then start up the engine and let run for a few minutes this will help dry out water quickly....a water based dressing is what I use next...Poorboys Bold and Bright is one that you can spray on the entire engine start back up and let that dry from the heat of the motor

http://www.poorboysworld.com