PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wash Opinions

floodlight
08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I have the unfortunate situation of having to park my brand new e91 on the street. It's a safe street, so I'm not worried about theft or dings, but after a week the car gets pretty dirty from the morning moisture and dirt.

I don't have a lot of time or a drive way to pull the car into for a nice wash. Yet I would like to be able to take a hose and brand X cleaner and do a quick wash and rinse of the car once a week ealy in the morning. My question to the experts is: can you recommend a good weekly cleaner that rinses nicely?

Thanks so much.

rad21
08-10-2006, 07:09 AM
You might want to look here:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75890&highlight=rinse

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67760&highlight=qew

Those are 2 choices or you.

DotBalm
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
It will sound like heresy (sp) to some, but when it comes to saving time and lowering the risk of hard water stains - not sure if that's why you said it should rinse nicely - consider the Mr. Clean Auto Dry Car Wash package, under $20, for *interim, low effort washes.* I use this as a complement to more thorough processes, not as a substitute.

It will wick or sheet the water off the car if you use as directed (time and cool temp/shade are the key) no need to towel dry if you cleaned it well. On the other hand, if you want to start driving right away, you will have to towel it off because the wind rushing over the car will evaporate the water, leaving some residue of whatever makes the rinse sheet off the car when used as directed. If hard water is an issue, I think this is an excellent product, just wet, wash, rinse and let it dry on its own. The sprayer in the package has all three nozzles built in, you just rotate the selector.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/autodry.shtml

That said, I think the sprayer isn't well designed, if you drop it on the ground, the door for the filter can pop off. While stored, the soap can leak out.

Like AA batteries for a digital camera, the Mr. Clean system and more importantly its replacement water filter and soap are virtually ubiquitous (a la razors and blades), find them at Target, WalMart, drugstores, auto stores, no online ordering or waiting for deliveries. No, I don't work for the company.

I have used and tested many of the products recommended by experienced detailers in this forum including AIO, Sonus, Griots, etc, (and I have a LOT more to learn) they work really well, but I think this is a good as an interim wash step and complement to a more detailed, less frequent process.

I use it on my black E60 and black Denali. I have to buy the rinse filter replacement and soap more often than I'd like, probably b/c the Denali is so big. Caveat: I'm no chemist, so someone may chime in with addtl info for this discussion.

Key to success: do this while it's cool outside and the car surface is cool, like in the early AM and/or shade or after the sun has set over the roof/trees, otherwise, the rinse won't have time to sheet off before the heat of the paint and sun dry it too quickly, defeating the "spot-free" benefit. If you have to towel it off, then one of the benefits (not haveing to towel dry) for this product is negated, and you're more or less back where you started, other products can help in that case.

My .02.

dboy11
08-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I have the unfortunate situation of having to park my brand new e91 on the street. It's a safe street, so I'm not worried about theft or dings, but after a week the car gets pretty dirty from the morning moisture and dirt.

I don't have a lot of time or a drive way to pull the car into for a nice wash. Yet I would like to be able to take a hose and brand X cleaner and do a quick wash and rinse of the car once a week ealy in the morning. My question to the experts is: can you recommend a good weekly cleaner that rinses nicely?

Thanks so much.

Another good suggestion for waterless washes is this one...I buy this by the 5 gallon container.....Poorboys World...Spray & Wipe

I have a black 540 and yet to see any real marring of the finish and I use it almost daily