PDA

View Full Version : Rim clear coat flaking

JohnK1
08-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I have a 2003 330i ZHP (performance package) which came with 18" wheels (style 135M). The clear coat on the front passenger side rim is flaking off.

I've searched the forums here, and I can't tell whether this is a common problem. I purchased this car used (only has 22,000 miles on it) 3 months ago from the dealer (includes extended warranty). Is this a rather common problem? There are a couple of spots on the front driver's side rim that look like they are also getting ready to flake.:mad:

I've never used harsh chemicals, etc. on the rim, but don't know what the previous owner did; although rest of the car is practically new.

Is this something the dealer should take care of for free? :D Do they refinish the rim? This isn't curb rash, but is it taken care of the same way (fixed for about $100.00)?

Bill-SD
08-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I have a 2003 330i ZHP (performance package) which came with 18" wheels (style 135M). The clear coat on the front passenger side rim is flaking off.

I've searched the forums here, and I can't tell whether this is a common problem. I purchased this car used (only has 22,000 miles on it) 3 months ago from the dealer (includes extended warranty). Is this a rather common problem? There are a couple of spots on the front driver's side rim that look like they are also getting ready to flake.:mad:

I've never used harsh chemicals, etc. on the rim, but don't know what the previous owner did; although rest of the car is practically new.

Is this something the dealer should take care of for free? :D Do they refinish the rim? This isn't curb rash, but is it taken care of the same way (fixed for about $100.00)?

I would try to get the dealer to take care on it. I know it was a problem on the E46 M3 and I've read that people have gotten the dealer to fix or replace the wheel.

JohnK1
08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I called the dealer and they said to bring it on by -- that it ought to be a warranty item (as long as it didn't look like someone had taken harsh abrasives to it - which it doesn't). I'll let you know what happens.

JohnK1
10-01-2006, 10:54 PM
The Service Manager at Don Mackey BMW in Tucson took great care of me and rectified the problem right quick. He had all four rims refinished and the clear coat looks fantastic. :thumbup:

dlobell
10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I have an 02 325Ci that is no longer under warranty. Am I SOL or will they fix them???

JohnK1
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I have an 02 325Ci that is no longer under warranty. Am I SOL or will they fix them???

The service manager at the dealer made a few allusions to the fact that my car was still under warranty and, as a result, they would do what was necessary to fix the problem.

I'm not sure they would have footed the bill had the car been out of warranty.

They had a mobile service come out that specializes in aluminum wheel refinishing.