PDA

View Full Version : cracking leather seats

kristiekicksass
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
is there anything i can for it??? to prevent it or help it out? or am i out of luck stuck with crappy interior? :(

dboy11
08-15-2006, 07:25 AM
is there anything i can for it??? to prevent it or help it out? or am i out of luck stuck with crappy interior? :(

Leatherique is one that will bring back your leather....long process but the results are great there is also plenty of online directions about the process

http://www.leatherique.net/

kristiekicksass
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
which one do i use? the leatherique dye or leatherique custom matched dye? my seats are a weird grey color. or should i get a "money saving kit" haha. judging from the pictures on the site, it looks like it works miracles!!

kristiekicksass
08-15-2006, 07:44 PM
or should i

dboy11
08-16-2006, 07:30 AM
which one do i use? the leatherique dye or leatherique custom matched dye? my seats are a weird grey color. or should i get a "money saving kit" haha. judging from the pictures on the site, it looks like it works miracles!!

To die your seats they can make the color from the color code that is on your car....check the site there is a place that tells you where that is located on your car....then I got the 16oz prestine clean and rejuvenator size...I have a big job to get done...For the die you should call just to make sure that you are getting the right color code for them...they are quite helpful

Vargchu
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
The leatherique conditioner/cleaner is wonderful stuff -- it made some really hard leather on my stepfather's Porsche really soft. Cleaning/conditioning the seats is the first step for any repair, and though it does help rehydrate the leather a bit, it probably will not get rid of the cracks.

If you decide to try to repair the leather yourself, do not that it will be a bit of a time consuming process (but what in detail isn't?). The crack filler is a white putty-like substance which requires some care to fill the cracks, but not smear everywhere. You will then need to dye the seats, which is analogous to doing water-color on your leather seats. The dye is little more than a thick paint which goes over the existing color. It certainly does work, but to make the fix look professional, you may end up recoloring all of your leather. While having the matching color will make the leather repair look good, remember that, like touch-up paint, it probably won't disappear completely. If you leather is anything other than black, I would assume that there may be some slight discoloration due to use which could complicate repairing the leather.

Best of luck,

Andrew

kristiekicksass
08-18-2006, 11:27 PM
yeah the seats are kind of a weird grey/beige. new seats wouldn*t be worth it huh? this leatherique thing sounds like a hell of a job for me.

cranker
08-19-2006, 02:39 AM
i've used this product, i'm happy with the results
leatherrepairkits.com

kristiekicksass
08-19-2006, 05:48 PM
where can i find what color my seats&stuff are?

Vargchu
08-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, the leatherique really isn't hard, it just requires a little patience. You should be able to get a 2" foam brush at Home Depot / Lowes, and knock out the seats in less than an afternoon. The crack filler does take some time to dry. Also, if the seats are starting to rip, not just crack, then you'll need to patch the leather (with leather) and liquid nails before you start the repair. If you don't mind redying your leather, it will give you a fairly professional finish.

One thing you might try, if you have access to a digital camera, is to send them an email and ask how best to repair the seats.

As for as color, if you give them the model year and style, they should be able to tell you what color you have. Another option, though it might not be preferred, is that you could go to your BMW dealer and ask for your service report. It should have the configuration and OEM numbers on the first page.

Best of luck