PDA

View Full Version : I hate drying my car

jetstream23
08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't mind the carwashing process, the setup, getting everything out, hosing and washing, etc. but I absolutely hate drying. The reason is that I feel drying is one of the most important parts of the process, especially here in Arizona. We have hard water (which I've done a few things to minimize on my outdoor hose) and its hot, even in the shade. So what happens is that I get water spots, lots of them, unless I dry the car very quickly and thoroughly. Unless I have a crew of 3 guys all equipped with Ultimate Drying Towels and ready to really exert themselves for 5 straight minutes IMMEDIATELY after the final rinse I am destined to get water spots. Now, I know that I can remove the spots with some of the detailing sprays I use or Klasse AIO but I don't always have time to do that.

Any suggestions for a good, fast drying process. Either suggestions on products such as chamois or methods (i.e. starting at the top and working your way down, roof to hood to trunk to sides, etc.) would be appreciated.

Yes, this is a bit of a nitpicky rant! :D

mng
08-16-2006, 09:31 AM
http://crspotless.com/

PhilH
08-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I often wash one section of my car at at time. Sure you might have some overlap and have to do a bit of the car twice because of it, but when you're only doing a third of the car at one time, you have time to dry it all with a towel before you get water spots. :dunno:

Faxe
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere that a leafblower would be a great thing drying the car
very quick.

Patrick
08-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Another reason why I am happy that I don't wash my car and then worry about such issues! :D

Hell, I don't even have enough hair to dry after a shower! :bigpimp:

Spartacus_33
08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I absolutely hate drying.

I hear you....... my driveway faces West, so I get sun from about 11:00 am to sunset. I can only wash my car in the mornings, or inside the garage.......I enjoy washing......but the drying is a pain. No matter how careful I've been...... I still have some water spots that show up quickly if I don't get right on it.

As far as removing the water spots..... I've tried the vinegar/distilled water thing, clay bar.... neither really never have done much for me. Klasse AIO sometimes works, but usually I have to get out my PC 7424 and grasp tightly............ this may be my last Black one.

Rob325_in_AZ
08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Phoenix AZ, AKA "Valley of the Sun" + Black car = :nono:

Seriously, part of the reason I chose a light-color

NewBmwGuy
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I hear you....... my driveway faces West, so I get sun from about 11:00 am to sunset. I can only wash my car in the mornings, or inside the garage.......I enjoy washing......but the drying is a pain. No matter how careful I've been...... I still have some water spots that show up quickly if I don't get right on it.

As far as removing the water spots..... I've tried the vinegar/distilled water thing, clay bar.... neither really never have done much for me. Klasse AIO sometimes works, but usually I have to get out my PC 7424 and grasp tightly............ this may be my last Black one.

Washing a car in Portland and Phoenix in the summer are two different animals. When you hit 105 or higher daily, then you are in the ballpark, and when it gets that hot there, why wash the car that day when in a few days, temps will probably be back down in the 50's, 60's, or 70s particularly in the a.m. like it is now?

In the desert, I tried the approach of washing the car piecemiel. Very hard to do. I would get up by 6 a.m. or earlier, and start the wash. No matter what I did, I still had "blemishes" that I didn't like. I just did the best I could to minimize them. Washing the car in the summer in the desert is just as bad as washing the car in the PNW during the winter rainy months. You basically aren't going to get a perfect wash, unless, like you said, you have help. That's where a wife and kids come into play! :D

martyl
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Regarding products, I just ordered and have used the Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel from Proper Autocare. It is unbelievable how easily and quickly this towel dries my car. It's worth every cent. Hope it helps.

Spartacus_33
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Regarding products, I just ordered and have used the Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel from Proper Autocare. It is unbelievable how easily and quickly this towel dries my car. It's worth every cent. Hope it helps.
We all have some sort of waffle weave MF towel(s). I have a closet full of them. The thing is... sometimes I'll see a "grouping" of water "drip marks" or "runs"... not just spots and I do the whole thing:
- 2 bucket method,
- No sprayer on the end of the hose.... just let it sheet off.
- Washing up and down on the sides, front and back... front to back on the trunk, roof and hood.......

This is my 3rd Jet Black bimmer and have lived in the same place while owning all three. I think this new paint is part of the problem. The other 2 weren't anywhere near this much trouble.

325ic a beer
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Wash her in the early morning or in the late evening..
Sounds like this may help somewhat ??

jetstream23
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Appreciate the tips. I have that ultimate blue drying towel and it does work for me but I still get frustrated. Jet Black may be a pain but it is still worth the extra time to keep it clean because it is the best color on a BMW when clean.

e36PiMP
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
I've heard good things about the Mr.Clean car wash kit. Its filter is supposed to neutralize the hard water and promises a 'no-drying needed wash'. Personally i just do one part of the car at a time. I start with the roof, then trunk, back, panels on top of back wheels, hood, panels on top of front wheels and then the doors and finally the front of the car. Oh and last i wash and dress the wheels.

Spartacus_33
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Appreciate the tips. I have that ultimate blue drying towel and it does work for me but I still get frustrated. Jet Black may be a pain but it is still worth the extra time to keep it clean because it is the best color on a BMW when clean.

Agreed! That's why all of mine have been Jet Black. It's a labor of love.........:jack: :rofl:

DotBalm
08-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I'll throw my wash bucket into the ring:

- treat it like a fishing trip, get up reeal early while it's still relatively "cool," kiss the wife (girlfriend, dog, or whomever) goodbye, get a strong cup of coffee, use the cream and clear

- wash using the Mr. Clean kit - you're out $20

- no drying, but do a dab here and a wipe there where water collects (hood, trunk, gas cap, sills). Otherwise, that water may stream out and dry as the air rushes over when you drive.

So, early, Mr. Clean, touch-up drying only. Do this early enough that the rinse will have time to sheet off. Preferably do in shade, or if no shade, park in shade nearby for rinse to sheet off.

I've not had resounding success with Big Blue, etc. Since others have had success, I'm suspicious that somehow I washed something with the Big Blues and other mf's that left a residue, causing them to not be absorbent...they smear water on my car. To this point, I think there is a fair amount of hype re synthetic microfiber (edit: b/c even the virgin synth mf didn't work for me, hmmm. I don't use dryer additive sheets). Anyway I'm no longer a synth mf consumer and I also believe the synthetic material imparted a static charge when rubbed on my car - we have dry air. When I moved to mf cotton and divested of synth mf, my static dust "pick up" decreased significantly and the car stayed cleaner looking longer.

Still like Zaino Z6 for anti dust though - got that recommendation on this forum and it was spot on, or off. Good stuff.

Elvis530i
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
When I have to wash my car when the sun is out and it's hot, I drive it into the garage the instant I'm done washing--when it's still dripping wet. I dry it in the shade in the garage. That seems to work for me.

2001 540 AZ
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't mind the carwashing process, the setup, getting everything out, hosing and washing, etc. but I absolutely hate drying. The reason is that I feel drying is one of the most important parts of the process, especially here in Arizona. We have hard water (which I've done a few things to minimize on my outdoor hose) and its hot, even in the shade. So what happens is that I get water spots, lots of them, unless I dry the car very quickly and thoroughly. Unless I have a crew of 3 guys all equipped with Ultimate Drying Towels and ready to really exert themselves for 5 straight minutes IMMEDIATELY after the final rinse I am destined to get water spots. Now, I know that I can remove the spots with some of the detailing sprays I use or Klasse AIO but I don't always have time to do that.

Any suggestions for a good, fast drying process. Either suggestions on products such as chamois or methods (i.e. starting at the top and working your way down, roof to hood to trunk to sides, etc.) would be appreciated.

Yes, this is a bit of a nitpicky rant! :D

Right on Jetstream23, totally agree..........but darn a clean jet black ride looks great. We just have to control our OCD disorder:)

I've resgined to the fact that when I wash, I'm also going to do a quick detail.

rjcoston
08-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Consider having a water softener installed. I had the plumber add a spigot when it was installed in the garage, and just wash my car with an attached hose that is kept on a nearby hanger. There are a lot of pluses to having a softener, such as it is easier to clean sinks and tubs and the washing machine uses about half as much detergent, so it is not hard to sell the wife on getting one. The best part is no water spots on the car.

jbhurley
08-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I use Adam's Detail Spray - and it takes the spots off easily. Just spray and wipe, it looks like it has been waxed.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=F9419F18-3429-47E9-BB2A7549CAC45793

picus
08-26-2006, 08:53 PM
You could use a rinseless wash like optimum no rinse wash & shine; wash and panel, dry the panel. No water spots, no need for the hose.

AW328i
08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Why not just take it to an automatic carwash? I worked at a gas station for years, and I got free car washes whenever I wanted. The best part is that they dry the car fairly well, and the excess water... just get out with a towel and wipe it off.

Spartacus_33
08-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Why not just take it to an automatic carwash? :yikes: :spank: DUDE... this is a detailing discussion forum.........:confused:

need4speed
08-28-2006, 07:34 AM
I pull my car into the garage immediately after the last soft rinse, use a leaf blower set on low power to get rid of 90% of the water and use the big blue towel for the rest. I have done it this way for 6 or 7 years and never had a problem. Of coure in SC it is too humid for the water to dry really fast. Good luck, I hate water spots too.