PDA

View Full Version : Remove Zaino before going to body shop?

hockeynut
08-17-2006, 06:33 AM
Going on Monday to get the rock dent/scratch fixed on my passenger door. Should I Dawn the car to remove the 5 coats of Zaino, or just not worry about it?

xspeedy
08-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Going on Monday to get the rock dent/scratch fixed on my passenger door. Should I Dawn the car to remove the 5 coats of Zaino, or just not worry about it?

I'm sure they would "clean" the paint first, as part of the prep, but it wouldn't hurt. More importantly, don't put five coats of zaino or anything else on it for a few months after you get the car back.

hockeynut
08-17-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm sure they would "clean" the paint first, as part of the prep, but it wouldn't hurt. More importantly, don't put five coats of zaino or anything else on it for a few months after you get the car back.

Yup - I believe its 90 days, so it will sit comfortably with an occasional spin around the block until Nov or so :(

dboy11
08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Yup - I believe its 90 days, so it will sit comfortably with an occasional spin around the block until Nov or so :(

Ask the body shop about the time frame for polishing and waxing the rule of thumb is 3 months but that depends on what they paint it with, all you are doing is waiting for the solvents in the paint to evaporate some paints are faster than others....Don't worry about taking the Zaino off they will be sanding the surface before painting

Mr. The Edge
08-19-2006, 09:40 PM
i thought dawn doesn't remove zaino?

picus
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
i thought dawn doesn't remove zaino?

It depends on the concentration of dawn to water. For the most part dawn will not remove zaino.

hockeynut
08-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Dropped the car off yesterday. He said don't worry about the Zaino, any place that gets paint will be be sans-wax.