PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Detailers in Tri-Valley Area (Bay Area)

mandms7
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have recommendations on a good detailer in the Pleasanton, Livermore, Dublin, and San Ramon areas?

dboy11
08-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Does anyone have recommendations on a good detailer in the Pleasanton, Livermore, Dublin, and San Ramon areas?

You looking for someone to come to you or fixed location?

mandms7
08-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Either one would work.

dboy11
08-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Either one would work.

Got it I was looking for the link on Craigslist for a guy in Danville appears that its expired....I wold check Craig's List and see if anyone comes up close to you....I detail cars on the weekends here in Sonoma County...a bit to far from you..The link that I have provided is one of the best in NO CA IMO I've talked with the owner and seen his shop...these guys just do it right but they are in SF

http://www.californiadetailing.com/

DotBalm
08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll get you the name of a detailer a friend with a black Acura TL and a black Honda Ridgeline just found. He is very pleased with the guy's work, but caveat is I have not tried this person yet.

The guy is OCD, he called my friend to say he forgot to clean the air registers. They made an appt and he showed up on time to finish the job at his house.

=====

Here is my (long) .02 on who *not* to use in the Tri-Valley - Ptown. I've forgotten the company name.

There is a detailer on the south side of the Club Sport building roughly the intersection of 580/680.

I brought my black E60 and black Denali, 2yr and 1 yr old respectively. I called the owner during a workday, he was golfing. We spent 30 mins going over their process: do they clay, what kind of polisher, clean or reused towels, what composition, wax type, what do they use on the interior, etc. We agreed he'd keep the BMW overnight and I'd swap cars the next day.

Well once at the location there was this b.s. little motorcycle trailer that looked like a Uhaul reject (probably the owner's, who is too successful to watch over the biz anymore, imho) and I was told by the shop boss that the trailer takes priority over my BMW so there wouldn't be an overnight bay for my car. It didn't matter that I had an appt for two black vehicles and I was being shuttled back in a friend's black vehicle, in other words, a nice new income stream.

So I picked the BMW up after hours (key pick up at the club desk) getting a ride from my pal with the Ridgeline. He was interested in the quality of the work and works out at the Club, so it's a natural for him if this turns out to be a good shop.

The car was covered in yellow tree pollen. I mean COVERED. So after working out the logistics, I brought both vehicles the next AM, so the BMW could get a proper wipe down. I show up and one of the flunkies stops wiping down the lower half of a Land Rover and takes the SAME rag and starts wiping the pollen off the hood in vigorous, cat-quick sweeping ovals. It was like hearing an old record needle sweep across an LP. In my best Spanish I said NO. : O

(I forgot to mention I washed each car before bringing it so they would see the good condition of the car clearly.)

He still didn't get it, I came around the front of the car and nearly had to get in his body space to explain he must stop. Then the shop boss comes out and is startled the guy was using the Land Rover towel, he didn't see the motion or the force of the wipes. I explained forward and back on the horizontal surfaces, up and down on the verticals.

But because I'm hard headed or something and like to compound matters I nevertheless left my Denali pickup. Two of the wheels had gotten in the mud of a soft shoulder when driving behind Mt. Diablo as a flatbed with a bulldozer decided it ruled the road as we approached. This was in spring of this year after those heavy rains.

When I got my truck back, the stock chrome-ish wheels on the mud side were swirled, the previously pefect chrome exhaust tip was etched all along the top (it previously had some mud beneath it), and the wheels on the driver side were swirled too. So they used one towel to wipe the mud and grit, didn't change towels, and just kept on going with no regard to this being an actual detail that people pay good money for to keep nice vehicles looking that way.

I've gone through mixed emotions, ranging from suing to sucking it up. At least you've been warned and I have vented.

I'll be relieved to find a good detailer in the Tri-Valley.

DotBalm
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll get you the name of a detailer a friend with a black Acura TL and a black Honda Ridgeline just found. He is very pleased with the guy's work, but caveat is I have not tried this person yet.

Here is the detailer's info and a comment from my friend:

Adam Molina, Enhanced Auto Detail
(510) 305-7862
http://enhancedautodetail.com/index.html
Great guy -- Giants fan; Cal fan. Extremely meticulous -- a
perfectionist. I highly recommend.

mandms7
08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience; I don't understand what some people are doing in the detail business. Thanks for the warning.

I actually found a guy from Autopia.org. He is a mobile detailer, and he is going to be coming over to take a stab at the swirls and scratches on the right side of my car. I'm crossing my fingers, because so far I've had experiences like you with detailers.

dboy11
08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience; I don't understand what some people are doing in the detail business. Thanks for the warning.

I actually found a guy from Autopia.org. He is a mobile detailer, and he is going to be coming over to take a stab at the swirls and scratches on the right side of my car. I'm crossing my fingers, because so far I've had experiences like you with detailers.

One thing to remember is that there are allot of hackers in this industry, only because they don't pay much...I suspect that is the case with you....I've got over 30 years at this and have yet to screw up anyone's ride...its experience that pays in this game....good luck

mandms7
08-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Well I wish you were closer, because the guy that came out tried to remove the swirls/scratches, and it didn't work. In fact, he caused some scratches that weren't there before.

At this point, I feel like giving up on detailers. Every one of my experiences has been bad. I guess I just need to learn how to do it myself.

Cliff
08-27-2006, 12:50 AM
I guess I just need to learn how to do it myself.

Bingo.

edit: My car will get its semi-annual exterior detail next weekend.

dboy11
08-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Well I wish you were closer, because the guy that came out tried to remove the swirls/scratches, and it didn't work. In fact, he caused some scratches that weren't there before.

At this point, I feel like giving up on detailers. Every one of my experiences has been bad. I guess I just need to learn how to do it myself.

What city are you in?

mandms7
08-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm in Livermore, but I'm hesitant right now to have anyone else touch my car based on the last couple of experiences.

Cliff
08-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm in Livermore, but I'm hesitant right now to have anyone else touch my car based on the last couple of experiences.

You're welcome to stop by and watch me do my car. I'm over by Los Positas College. I will probably do the car on Saturday. The plan is to wash, clay, machine polish, then apply Klasse AIO and a first coat of Klasse SG. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Alvizzo913
08-27-2006, 11:07 AM

That's ridiculous. You paid the guy for this?

mandms7
08-27-2006, 11:12 AM
He said he wouldn't charge me for the job, because he knew I was unhappy with it. He was a nice guy, and I felt bad and gave him some money for his time.

Alvizzo913
08-27-2006, 11:15 AM
That's legit I guess, good luck with getting your stuff done right!

DotBalm
08-28-2006, 07:42 AM
He said he wouldn't charge me for the job, because he knew I was unhappy with it. He was a nice guy, and I felt bad and gave him some money for his time.

Shows a lot of class on your part.

Maybe we need a Tri-Valley detailing support group. :cry:

The offer by Cliff3 to see how its done sounds like a good opportunity. We are trying to get out of town with another family next weekend, and not that the invite was to "the board", but this is the kind of opportunity I'd like to see as well, everything permitting.

Cliff
08-28-2006, 08:09 AM

The offer by Cliff3 to see how its done sounds like a good opportunity. We are trying to get out of town with another family next weekend, and not that the invite was to "the board", but this is the kind of opportunity I'd like to see as well, everything permitting.

With the addition of a Z4 M Coupe to my garage, my detailing load is about to double. I am going to want to do a less involved exterior detail (polishing won't be necessary) on this second car not too long after delivery. Early October would be my guess - sometime before the ALMS race on the 20th.

I'd be happy to have a few folks over. I don't have a driveway and my garage is barely a 2 car garage so I can only work on one car at a time. And yes, there are a fair number of us Tri-Valley folks on the Fest and we ought to find ways to hang out once in a while.

Keith
08-28-2006, 08:37 AM
. And yes, there are a fair number of us Tri-Valley folks on the Fest and we ought to find ways to hang out once in a while.

I agree Clifford. :thumbup: :D
We have had some great detail days at my house, haven't we? :dunno: :angel:

Cliff
08-28-2006, 08:52 AM
I agree Clifford. :thumbup: :D
We have had some great detail days at my house, haven't we? :dunno: :angel:

Sure have Keith :)

mandms7
08-29-2006, 10:16 PM

Sign me up for that support group now! :bawling:

I wouldn't mind meeting up at Cliff3's house (I live pretty much directly across 580 from Las Positas), but I won't be in town this weekend. Perhaps another weekend?

DotBalm
08-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm close by but out of town this weekend too (I hope). We could even have a visiting speaker series...dboy11? LOL

I know, I know, it's best to meet where the main guy has his supplies/tools of the trade.

FWIW - if we ever needed "a place," I can offer up my house in Pleasanton. I don't live there yet since it's going to be a major remodel (circa 1960), but it has all the utilities, fridge, street and driveway parking and room for 1 car in the garage if needed. Driveway gets some midday sun, but good afternoon shade from trees and house. It's where I wash my cars. Has a water softener we can tap into, but I'm not sure it has a very good capacity - 75 gals (?). I wasn't too impressed by it.

Cliff
08-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Dave Waller (rkt bmr) had a detailing day at his place a couple of years ago, and I think what we did that day is likely to work best for this sort of event: pick one car and use it as a vehicle to demonstrate technique. It's impossible for everyone to do their cars all at once and still learn something useful, so don't even try.

I'm in a crazy place with respect to my workload and buying the new car, so I'm going to keep a low profile until late October (we have a software release going into production mid-October and sometime between now and then I'll be heading to Southern Cal to pick up the car). What I lack in space, I make up for in facilities - I have all the tools and materials, and my garage is a well lighted and clean place to work.

DotBalm
08-30-2006, 07:08 PM
That's a good call, good luck with your work.