PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooling question.

coolandmellow
08-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Just a small question to any of you experts.Is it possible to put in a oil cooler though i don`t have a super charger.Would it be beneficial or not,i mean would it keep the engine temp dowm more than usual.Any suggestions.I`ve noticed when my engine is cold the car pulls like hell,its not the case when the temp needle has reached the half way mark on my 330CI.

coolandmellow
08-19-2006, 09:47 AM
No one for an answer?

firedwg1
08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Just a small question to any of you experts.Is it possible to put in a oil cooler though i don`t have a super charger.Would it be beneficial or not,i mean would it keep the engine temp dowm more than usual.Any suggestions.I`ve noticed when my engine is cold the car pulls like hell,its not the case when the temp needle has reached the half way mark on my 330CI.

MRoadster has a stock oil cooler already, many Z owners upgrade to the S54 radiator that comes with a stock oil cooler mounts on the bottom.

Itís never a bad idea to have an oil cooler installed if you dont already have one. As with Superchargers some like the vortech use the cars oil system while others use a separate system.

Hope this answers your question...

coolandmellow
08-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Well not really,i didn`t quite get it.I have a 330CI e46,i haven`t seen any stock oil cooler mount to be honest. With the Vortech do u mean it uses the oil in the engine period,if that is the case then its too damn hot!!!So would a oil cooler help or not and do u think the stock E46 radiator is good enough or large enough,how about a heavy duty upgraded water pump would that help.

firedwg1
08-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Oil coolers almost always help. Stock radiator should be fine If all you are doing is street drving, many of the guys I know wait until the stock radiators and thermostat wear from time and then upgrade to nicer ones.

IMHO:Its kind of like the three bears in the Goldielocks story. Not too hot, Not to cold, but just right. As long as you are operating within normal temps you should be fine. Hints the reason why you should always let your Car warm up before you drive off...

Good luck