PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks

founder
08-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a black 540i/6. A client of mine gave me a gift and had my car detailed. I was worried that I would end up with the deep, machine made swirl marks but I could not say no to the gift. As it turns out, I ended up with the deep swirl marks.

I haven't tried to do anything about them yet. Have any of you dealt with this problem, and if so, what is the cure. I'm not opposed to using my own elbow grease if that's what it takes to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Founder

ZM Blue Devil
08-21-2006, 05:22 PM
that sucks. clearly they didnt know what they were doing. tried finding a top end detailor and seeing what they say? or how about going back and asking for the owner? Good luck.
ZM

aa_arvan
08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
i have the same problem...i took my car to get it professionally detailed, and i specifically asked them to do all they can to remove the swirl marks left on the paint from previous detail made by previous owner.
anyways....it turns out that the longer the swirl marks stay on ur vehicle the more difficult it is to remove them....so my suggestion is to have it hand waxed, and polished by a professional detailer.
they were able to remove most of the swirl marks on my car, but i woulnt say 100% of them.

skydryice
08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I had the same problem. I went ahead and bought myself a porter cable orbital polisher kit and DIY'd my own detail. it is not too hard and no, I did not get the swirls. A lot of work? Yes. Read newprint in reflection afterwards? Yes. Swirl marks? No. I am certainly happy.

RiDE
08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Go check out the autopia forums (http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?) if you either want to see if there's anyone local that can do your car over or if you want to do it yourself and need to know how to get started. Good luck! :)

SoCaLE39
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I just detailed my black 540i6 and it came out unbelieveable! After having the car detailed by a few people, i have to say my detail job made the car the best its ever been. I used an orbital buffer and used mothers cleaner wax with carnuba, mothers stage 2 polish and sealer, then finished it off with meguires gold class wax paste. Finished product was well worth the 3 hrs:D

jermiester1
08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
I have a black 540iA. I do my own paint detailing. It takes the better part of a day, but well worth it. I use products from a local company here outside of Seattle called Griot's Garage. www.griotsgarage.com (800-345-5789). You can order on line or via phone. I start with the clay bar, then polish, then I used the paint sealant. The finish is beautiful and no swirl marks. I use the Griot's random orbital with foam pads. To get started I bought about $300.00 worth of supplies. But, I've done all 4 of my vehicles, so I figure I'm money ahead, and I enjoy doing it.

ketchup
08-21-2006, 09:19 PM
I just detailed my black 540i6 and it came out unbelieveable! After having the car detailed by a few people, i have to say my detail job made the car the best its ever been. I used an orbital buffer and used mothers cleaner wax with carnuba, mothers stage 2 polish and sealer, then finished it off with meguires gold class wax paste. Finished product was well worth the 3 hrs:D

dude!! how many times do you wax your car a month? :angel:

Has anyone tried 3M swirl remover?

IanBMW
08-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Go check out the autopia forums (http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?) if you either want to see if there's anyone local that can do your car over or if you want to do it yourself and need to know how to get started. Good luck! :)

Best advice so far. Either pay someone $200 to do the job once, or put that into materials and have clean swirl free vehicles for life. I have a writeup here from when I owned a black Z3.

http://www.strictlyea.com/features/detaildiy.html

This was the result;

http://www.pbase.com/ianbmw/image/49298129.jpg

And ya I'm that good :p

founder
08-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the input. I enjoy working on my car so I may buy the supplies and equipment and try it myself. If that doesn't work, I'll hire it done. It's just so bad that my first impression was that I would have to get the car repainted, or at least have the clear coat redone.

Thanks again.

Founder

ZM Blue Devil
08-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Griots has a great how to dvd, i ordered it for free. Did the mroadster two weekends ago(clay, polish and wax) it came out incredible. Hope to do the touring this or next weekend.

Black'n'White
08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
I've been painting cars and bikes for more than 20 years, and a few months ago I finally got around to documenting the procedures I use. Toward the end of the article you'll find a fairly comprehensive run down on color sanding and compounding. The last two steps, swirl mark remover and hand glaze, will probably be all you need to take care of the ham fisted attention your car has received up 'till now. And once you've got it in shape, keep it that way with Zanio once or twice a year.

http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r1200gs/paint/index.html

HTH,

Scot

dboy11
08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the input. I enjoy working on my car so I may buy the supplies and equipment and try it myself. If that doesn't work, I'll hire it done. It's just so bad that my first impression was that I would have to get the car repainted, or at least have the clear coat redone.

Thanks again.

Founder

Founder

With over 30 years as a part time detailer I have to say sorry for the bad experience with your car...sounds that the person that worked on your car had no idea what they where doing...its quite common with larger detail shops they are hiring $10 an hour guys giving them a few hours of training and calling them detailers.....anyway two things to help you out....I have a friend that is a detailer in Hanford which is not far from you...next the best site that I have seen for detailing is

http://www.detailcity.org

its a free site to sign up for or you can just lurk and read about products and how to use it.

if you are planning on getting a orbital buffer...bare in mind that they will not remove all your swirls but will help greatly to improve your finish...a rotary is about the only way to remove swirls as you need heat and a orbital will not accomplish that